Country of origin for parts - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Country of origin for parts

I was at a Ford dealer in Conn. over the weekend. I was walking through the lot and reading the stickers on the Mustangs. There were stickers to the right of the actual sticker price stating the origin of the engines and trannies. I noticed that:

1 GT engines were made in America.
2 6 cyl. pony engines were made in Germany.
3 Manual Trannies for both GT and 6 cyl. were made in Mexico.
4 Auto Trannies for both were made in France.

Does anyone know why this is?
And, are the 07's the only cars made this way, or are the 05's and 06's done this way also?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Free world trade, where ever they can get them made the cheepest

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
Well, pretty much the UAW has made it more cost effective to build it overseas and ship it in.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-02-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Welcome to the global economy. Sometimes, the part was developed by a subsidiary company in another country. It then is usurped and used company wide, but still built in the country of origin. Other times, it's just who can produce the part the cheapest.

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
Most of the time, all parts are designed by the engineers working for the Autmobile's manufacturer. Then they contract a company to build to their print.

There are instances when a company already building parts for a manufacturer will get requested to design parts and build them, but its not often. Most parts have to play well with others and need to be designed wil the constraints of the mating part/conjoining part/ or the area it has to work in. So, typically things are designed together in one think tank.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

I had read somewhere that the Ford Mustang is only 35% built in America. About 65% of the parts used in the building of the car are outsourced. In the same article, it said that the Toyota Camry is almost exactly the opposite on the construction percentanges.
Sad, but true.

06 Stang GT, Yeah I got stuff! Check out my profile for the low down.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well, pretty much the UAW has made it more cost effective to build it overseas and ship it in.

Forgive me for not knowing how to put a prior post in quotes.

Kyle, You made the statement above about the UAW "made it cost effective to build it overseas". I am a union man and do not want to get into a union vs. non-union discussion, Although I will if you want to.

My question to you is this. Did the UAW make it cost effective or did the .50 cents an hour of the Mexican worker make it possible?

The way I see it, an awful lot of these UAW jobs are dissapearing in favor of building in Mexico. But the price has not come down on the vehicle, as a matter of fact, the price has risen. This leads me to only one conclusion, GREEDY AUTO COMAPANIES.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page