2005+ Mustang GT - Winter Driving Issues? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

2005+ Mustang GT - Winter Driving Issues?

Considering getting a GT automatic (prefer manual, but gotta get the auto), but I'll need to drive it year round.

Does anybody here drive their GT in the snow? If so, how is it? I've driven lotsa rear wheel drive cars in the past including my old Fox 5.0 (year round).

Any other issues, such as corrosion problems, icing problems, etc?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Granted we don't get much snow here but I've driven it a few times. Not the best handling, but if you get a good set of snow tires and use the traction control, you'll be fine.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Drive in snow?....My heart could not handle such toruture...the mere thought of road grime from snow covered streets is enough to have me institutionalized for a very long time...lol

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007
Snackmaster

If your area gets salted then a good undercarriage spray will be in order. As far as handling, the new Stangs are too terrible at all. Obviously common sense previals but a good set of Blizzaks, TCS on and some awareness and you'll be gold!

If you've driven your Fox body in the past then you know what to expect. I was actually quite impressed when I got caught in a storm... way better than my 96GT.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrvandermey View Post
Drive in snow?....My heart could not handle such toruture...the mere thought of road grime form snow covered streets is enough to have me institutionalized for a very long time...lol
LOL! I would prefer to not drive it in the winter, but in order to justify its purchase, it's gotta be usable as a car rather than a toy. I've done the $500 beater thing, but I'm getting too old for that... lying on my back in a snow drift to repair whatever has broken this week.

Besides, I've found that with most newer cars, having some light oil undercoating applied yearly (like Krown or Rust Check) seems to save them pretty well. With stainless steel exhaust (I'm guessing the GT has that) plus everything else oiled it shouldn't fall apart too quickly, I hope.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

I should add a second part to my question: Are steel wheels available that will fit the GT? When I had the Fox, I had to run the 16" aluminums (it was a '92) in the winter because the front brakes were too big to run the 14" steels that were available at the time.

Thanks again!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Drive in snow?....My heart could not handle such toruture...the mere thought of road grime from snow covered streets is enough to have me institutionalized for a very long time...lol
What about all that salt corrosion.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
I should add a second part to my question: Are steel wheels available that will fit the GT? When I had the Fox, I had to run the 16" aluminums (it was a '92) in the winter because the front brakes were too big to run the 14" steels that were available at the time.

Thanks again!
I believe the stock 17" wheels are steel.
The 05+ stang is better in the snow due to the fact that the front/rear weight ratio is closer to 50/50 than in the past mustangs, also the wide tires are the killers in the snow.
Driving stangs in the snow puts hair on your chest, and makes you more of a man.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
All of the stock 17" wheels are aluminum, unless the Bullits are steel (I am pretty sure they are aluminum as well).
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
All of the stock 17" wheels are aluminum, unless the Bullits are steel (I am pretty sure they are aluminum as well).
You are correct, my boo boo.

AFM Site Administrator
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
What about all that salt corrosion.
I don't think anywhere uses actual rock salt, anymore but I certainly could be wrong. Environmental thing. I live in Podunk Idaho and even we use propylene glycol.

I drove my Mustang all winter, both winters and we average about 3-4 feet of snow per year. In the pic, below, you can see where it was deep enough that I was dragging the undercarriage through it. That pic was taken after I got home from work. No snow all day. My front clip was a little snow plow, all the way down the street.

Wet snow sucks sphincter but this car on ice is no worse than anything else. I have heard Blizzaks are awesome but $pendy. I am still on the stock Pirellis and they really did better the first year [rolling my eyes] can't imagine why .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drives great in deep snow.JPG
Views:	2571
Size:	307.2 KB
ID:	26275  

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
nghtrnnr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
Considering getting a GT automatic (prefer manual, but gotta get the auto),
why do some guys always feel the need to apologize for buying the auto....anyway...no rear wheel drive car is good in the snow...i actually bought 3 cars so this stang would never see snow....stang for my fun...corolla for everything else...new car for my girl so i'd never have to hear her mouth over me not taking the stang anywhere
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack View Post
I don't think anywhere uses actual rock salt, anymore but I certainly could be wrong. Environmental thing. I live in Podunk Idaho and even we use propylene glycol.
Michigan does, we live on a salt mine.

AFM Site Administrator
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nghtrnnr View Post
why do some guys always feel the need to apologize for buying the auto....
Not apologizing, just stating fact. I'd prefer to drive a stick in all situations, but my wife can't drive one. I don't have the kind of cash to buy both of us a new car, so that's what it is. Oh well, the auto can still be fun, just not as fun IMHO. :hihi:
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcfrisch View Post
Michigan does, we live on a salt mine.
They still use salt here as well.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page