What makes a "good driver" when racing? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to A7X1031
Question What makes a "good driver" when racing?

I thought this would be a fun post. I'd like to get everyones opinion on this, and who knows, we can maybe take these opinions and find our own weaknesses and work on them. So here lies the question...We hear and read all about people winning and losing races in the "kill" section of the forum as a result of being a better driver. So what makes the a supirior driver? All opinions are welcome here, and I'm hoping I can find my weaknesses here. Although I drive an automatic! hehe

-A7X-
~Stang Syndicate Boston~ *2006 Torch Red GT* 10/10/07
Performance: Borla FRPP Stingers w/ True Dual Midpipes, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, JLT CAI, Bama 93 Race Tune, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears, Nitto 555 Extremes.
Visual: Black AVS Tail Light Trim, Honeycomb Tail Light Vinyl, Black Racing stripes, 35% Window Tint, Trunk Blackout Panel, Billet Antenna Delete, Mirror Covers, 17" Konig "Further" Rims, Quarter Window Louvers, 20% Tinted Head Light/Turn Signal, Boss C-Stripes, CS/GT C-Scoops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

the best driver is the one who doesnt race...

2005 Mustang GT - SCT X3 + ROUSH CAI, FRPP Stingers, Silverhorse Blackout Panel, Brushed "Aluminum" Dash Kit, California Special rear bumper, chrome American Racing ROGUE wheels 20x8.5 with 255/35/20 Yokohama S.Drive tires, ROUSH rear springs.... JVC KW-AVX820
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to A7X1031
Quote:
Originally Posted by gphasagt View Post
the best driver is the one who doesnt race...
I think in a safe enviroment with responsible drivers its acceptable to a point. I look down upon people racing in traffic and busy areas thats just plain dumb. But punshing it from 0-60 next to someone on a desolate highway isn't that dangerous. Plus this question also applies to racing on the track as well. Its human nature, just look at the kill section

By no means do I mean to sound like a jerk to ya, just explaining to you I'm more responsible than the post suggests.

-A7X-
~Stang Syndicate Boston~ *2006 Torch Red GT* 10/10/07
Performance: Borla FRPP Stingers w/ True Dual Midpipes, Magnaflow High Flow Cats, JLT CAI, Bama 93 Race Tune, Ford Racing 4.10 Gears, Nitto 555 Extremes.
Visual: Black AVS Tail Light Trim, Honeycomb Tail Light Vinyl, Black Racing stripes, 35% Window Tint, Trunk Blackout Panel, Billet Antenna Delete, Mirror Covers, 17" Konig "Further" Rims, Quarter Window Louvers, 20% Tinted Head Light/Turn Signal, Boss C-Stripes, CS/GT C-Scoops.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

I'll assume you mean racing at the track.

1. Patience
2. Calmness
3. Knowing exactly what your car can do and what it can't
4. Knowing your own skills and limitations as a driver
5. Knowing your opponents

When I'm at the track I watch what the winners do and emulate them. There's a guy in our racing league that ran away from everyone last year. So I watch him. He does things that others don't, e.g., he carefully monitors the pressure in his front tires, not just the rear. I don't see many others doing that. Except me, I do now. There will always be someone better than you . Learn from them.

And finally, the most important rule of racing for me: Do not beat yourself, make the other guy do it.

2005 Mustang GT with 300 ci 04 Cobra iron block, Kenne Bell 2.6l twin screw, P&P S3 Heads, SS valves, Comp S3 cams, Currie 9+ 9" rear end and DS, Hurst shifter, BMR K-member, A-arms, LCAs & UCA, JBA long tubes & mid-pipe, Accel COPs, Dual GT500 fuel pumps, much more...
670 RWHP, 640Tq @ 16 psi & 6400 RPM
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
A good driver in a race is...
One that can launch without too much wheel spin and "hook up".

Can hit his shifts on time and can keep the car straight while doing it... thus achieving the best possible aceeleration for his given car and set up. In the kills section, you are pretty much limited to this.

5-20, I think you are talking about what makes a good racer and race car driver, but I don't think the statement in the kills section of "Better Driver" reflects what you say.... even though it may be true enough at the race track. Sounds like your buddy would also make a good crew chief.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

1. Launch without spinning more than a little, throughout first gear

2. Hit your shift points to maximize acceleration by shifting at the correct RPM.

3. Don't "miss a shift" by jamming the shifter from the second gear gate, into the forks and not getting into third. Also, don't accidentally shift from third to fifth by shifting too slowly. I did that on the test drive and never again.

4. Have a good reaction time, on the start light. Practice, practice, practice.

5. Work hard to lower your 60 foot time because this makes a big difference in your total elapsed time.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007
nghtrnnr

what makes a good driver when racing?

reflexes...guts...desire...better have all 3 to win a streetrace...

side note; my grandad doesnt race and he belongs on that south park episode about the killer old people...so not racin doesnt make a guy a better driver.....just makes him a weener if he buys a mustang and NEVER races it anywhere
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007
SHELBY GT 350 Member
S197 Member

I think most have been mentioned above...

I used to get too excited... especially in a street race, luckilly I had the power to overcome my lack of cool...

With that said I had the same problem at the track... no cool/patience. Plus I had never driven a car in the 1/4.

One of the MD race guys told me that when you're going at it in a street light on street tires do you floor it? I thought about that and said no I would never cross the START line!

Thinking further into it I realized I need to trust the seat of my pants to 'feel the hook'. I can't wait to find the time to go to the track and hook, not spinning through third!!

So as mentioned above, feel, get a feel for your car, be it staright ahead or turning. If you're centered with your car, know what it will and will not do, and then drive it on that limit you're there!

Watch a Formula 1 driver before a race. Eyes closed bobbing around moving with the imagined turns sitting still in the car. Feeling it, getting in the grove, feeling the 3 G acceleration, 5 G braking, 4 G turns... becoming centered and one with the ultimate raing machine!!

KJ, poorer but happier

Thanks to:
Modular Depot
Fox Lake Racing
Tunable Induction
Power House 411
Sun Coast Creations
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to ArtDisco Send a message via Yahoo to ArtDisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by A7X1031 View Post
So what makes the a supirior driver?
The one who wins!

PONY Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Very good ideas guys. I'm making myself a list of em. Defintly the one I like the most is what 5twenty said, knowing what the car can do and what it can't.

2005 Ford Mustang GT *Black Sunshine*
Current Mods: head & taillight covers, red tri-bar pony floor mats, sequential tail lights, chrome skull & flame pedals, red wire covers, underhood billet caps/covers
1990 Ford Mustang LX Convertable *White Lightning*
BOSS Member
Classic Member
S197 Member

being young...I dont have what I once had

Saleen S/C 3.2 pulley. Chris Rose tune.

Hot Rod cams, GT500 pumps, CHE goodies on the rear, 4.10's, KOOKS/ O/R X pipe with PYPES Violators, Spydershaft, TCI 3500 stall, PA deep tranny pan. Meziere w/p,M&H 325/45/17 DRs.
S/[email protected]/[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page