Tail light smoking/ darkening - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007 Thread Starter

Tail light smoking/ darkening

i know this isant really car tech. but i was wondering what was the best way to darken the tail lights. iv seen covers online. iv heard of window tint . and spray. im wondering if anyone here has something done.thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007
V6 Member
S197 Member

If you want a solid blackout of the tail lights I would go with a cover, the Xenon ones are nice, but if you want a darker maroonish tail light, I would go with tinting film.

You can find both pretty easily on e-bay.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to AFStang
However, if you go with the film (as I have done) then do yourself a favor and make sure it is adhesive on one side. Mine are basically attached by spraying water on them and using a rubber peice to push out the bubbles. Problem with this: Whats keeping the edges of the film from rolling up, peeling back, etc? Nothing is.. and now I'm in search of another way to keep the film attached...

*2005 Mustang GT- Torch Red, IUP, Shaker 500, MyColor, JLT II CAI w/Brenspeed Tune, SLP L/M's, BBK T/B, Steeda UDPs, Shaker hood, B2 hood/pins,18x9.5 GT500 replicas, CDC Chin Spoiler, Roush 1/4 window louvers, 8" antenna, honeycomb blackout, MWA mirror covers, Sequential TL's, black LED projector H/L's, H/L splitters, Ducktail, Hurst equipped....

*1969 Camaro SS with 454

2000 Camaro Z-28, heavily modified

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFStang View Post
However, if you go with the film (as I have done) then do yourself a favor and make sure it is adhesive on one side. Mine are basically attached by spraying water on them and using a rubber peice to push out the bubbles. Problem with this: Whats keeping the edges of the film from rolling up, peeling back, etc? Nothing is.. and now I'm in search of another way to keep the film attached...
u got any pics of the tail lights to see how they came out. i think i might go with this then i can peel it off if i change my mind.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007
S197 Member

On my other car I had a paint man (friend) lightly sand the lenses and then spray a dark clear on the lenses...Can not beat the toughness pf paint...All other films are BS IMO...The covers are nice as long as you can find ones that dont look cheap... GL RD6
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Here're a couple of covers. I really like the way this looks and would like to get that with tinted windows!

They are legal in Idaho as you only have to be able to see the brake lights in bright sunlight, from 100 feet away. I have seen these in videos and they are plenty bright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackout taillights.jpg
Views:	7674
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	26653   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackouts.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	3.1 KB
ID:	26654  

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007 Thread Starter

yea i like those. they from avs? i wonder what they look like up close. ill wait a lil bit and look around b4 i rush into something
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

I have done some research and will help you a little if I can.

Those light covers are the GTS ones I believe. What sucks about those is they are a cover that i believe is held on by velcro or something. It has a little bit of a bubble look when you get close to the car and im not sure if they sit flush against the tail lamps. This is a nice option if light covers are illegal by you so that you can take them off and on when you want. They are a good choice and with the rear decklid blackout they look very nice.

I have a friend with an 04' Lightning and he has his taillights sprayed a smoke black. They look really nice on his car because it is charcoal black would be the first option on my car if they weren't illegal around here. It only cost $50 for the lights and its probably one of the better choices if you like that smoke look on your lights

The tint film is probably my last choice, but still a good choice if applied right. I had some of this on my car I didnt have any problems with peeling or it falling off. It was very light film so It was kind of hard to see. I took it off because it was pretty much worthless on my headlights. I forget where I purchased them from, I will try and find the link for you if you want to go that way.

HTH

2006 GT....White On Black.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2007 Thread Starter

i dunno with covers they rub and over time they scratch.. with spray well its on and its on and it looks good i saw it on a cavy all the same. .its all spray. now the tint i could do that. iv also seen just the bottom part of the lights tinted. and that looked goood. well as i said i like to look around b4 i make my desision. thanx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page