Project 'FRANKIE' Begins tonight - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Send a message via MSN to ArtDisco Send a message via Yahoo to ArtDisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5twenty View Post
Thaks for the updates, ArtDisco. It's like were right there, cheering you on!

Thanks for the support guys!

I'm in the home stretch now....motor is back together (provided I didn't screw it up royally) all I have left is to wire up the eh20 pump, fill with coolant, load the tune and I'm ready!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Project-Frankie.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	26763  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Ok, I'm stuck....anyone got a good suggestion to wire up to a key switch 'ON' source?

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I'm wired into the big wiring bundle that's directly behind the PCM. But I can't get to it without pulling the shaker scoop.

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Thanks STL....I found a wire I can tap into...I used a multimeter...turned the switch off and on and now I'm back in business
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtDisco View Post
Thanks STL....I found a wire I can tap into...I used a multimeter...turned the switch off and on and now I'm back in business
Good deal... I'll be curious to get your impressions. I think you'll like the improved cooling.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Tune is loaded....started it up, and I have an injector that is leaking ...oh well, I was hoping to be done with this tonight!!! Ugh....
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Tune is loaded....started it up, and I have an injector that is leaking ...oh well, I was hoping to be done with this tonight!!! Ugh....
Leaking where? Did you accidentally pop it off?

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Leaking where? Did you accidentally pop it off?
#3 fuel injector...leaking from the top, where the injector seats into the fuel rail...it's a steady seep, I'm having to remove the fuel rail and re-seat the injector...hopefully that will fix the problem.

I think I hosed it up either removing the fuel rail or re-installing it...I must have boogered something up.
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Whew...that was an easy fix....the O-ring wasn't seated properly, re-seated just ran in for about 10 mins...NO LEAKS!!! getting ready to pull it out and see how she runs!
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Ok...thanks for sticking in there with me guys...this phase of the project is done!

Just took 'Frankie' for a test drive and for now, all I can say is WOW!

I can't believe the difference, no coolant for fuel leaks, temp is good, voltage good, I'm happy. It was a hard three days, but it was worth it, the learning experience alone was worth it.

Some thoughts I'll share with you, on what I learned:
1) If you are going to pull your crank shaft pulley, take the five minutes and remove the fan shroud and fan, believe me, it's worth the extra room you have to move around. Also, you will need a three jaw gear pull tool, you can borrow one from Advance Auto Parts Store for free with a deposit. They'll refund your deposit in full when you bring it back.
2) If you have to remove the fuel rails and injectors, DO IT CAREFULLY! Do not force it out or in...it does take some coaxing, but it is east to bend the cups on the fuel rail where the injectors seat into them.
3) Plan on the job taking three times as long as you expect it to, you will most like run into problems that you didn't expect.
4) Wiring up the electric water pump is pretty easy with the wiring harness supplied by the GREAT folks at Brenspeed. (Those guys are awesome by the way.) The hardest part is finding a switch on wire to tap into. Start with the big wire bundle by the PCM and use a multi-meter to be sure. With the key on, touch you - lead to ground, and + lead to the wire, if you see +12 DC volts...that's a start. Make sure you turn the key off and test the wire again...with the key off, if there is no voltage, you're in business.
5) Make sure you have everything you need, making several trips to the parts store is annoying and time consuming. If you are planning on doing the Steeda underdrive pulley and the eH20 pump, like Stlwagon said, make sure you use a 99" serpentine belt, the stock one will be too long, and MAKE SURE THE PARTS STORE GIVES YOU THE RIGHT SIZE BELT!!!
6) If you have to remove the serpentine belt, draw a diagram on how it's fed, so you don't stand there like an idiot for three hours trying to figure out how it goes back on...
7) Listening to good tunes while you work helps the frustration level...remember THIS IS FUN!!!

Thanks again guys for hanging in there with me, part two is coming up when my Kooks exhaust and Stop Tech brake kit arrives.

-Cheers

5)
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Update

Thought I'd give you guys an update...two full tanks of gas have been burned since the mods, I've done more driving in the Mustang in the pas week then I have all this year, it seems.

Glad to report...no problems. eH20 seems to be cooling great, the tune from Brenspeed has really made this a different car, it's so much more fun to drive now.

And the biggest surprise, since the 4.30 gear install, gas mileage has not changed all that much. I am averaging just over 21MPG, mostly highway, a little city, with a LOT of heavy foot.

With the stock 3.55 gears, in this same driving scenairo, I would have gotten a little under 24MPG.

Anyway...so far so good, stay tuned, the Kooks exhaust and Stop Tech brake upgrade is coming soon!
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Thought I'd give you guys an update...two full tanks of gas have been burned since the mods, I've done more driving in the Mustang in the pas week then I have all this year, it seems.

Glad to report...no problems. eH20 seems to be cooling great, the tune from Brenspeed has really made this a different car, it's so much more fun to drive now.

And the biggest surprise, since the 4.30 gear install, gas mileage has not changed all that much. I am averaging just over 21MPG, mostly highway, a little city, with a LOT of heavy foot.

With the stock 3.55 gears, in this same driving scenairo, I would have gotten a little under 24MPG.

Anyway...so far so good, stay tuned, the Kooks exhaust and Stop Tech brake upgrade is coming soon!
Good news... The headers will make even more of a difference.

1965 Mustang Coupe
5.0L Member

I have ridden in Frankie before and after the mods, and the gain in performance is unbeliveable.This car flies.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2007 Thread Starter
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackho View Post
I have ridden in Frankie before and after the mods, and the gain in performance is unbeliveable.This car flies.
Blackho....based on your avitar...I see you are keeping my car clean and in good shape. :hihi:
5.0L Member

ArtDisco......Maybe we can work out a trade. After riding in yours mine felt like I was driving my 4 cylinder Ranger.Its gonna take alot of $$$$$ to keep up with you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page