Convertible question - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Convertible question

For those of you with verts....let's say it's a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky with no chance of rain. You go to the grocery to pick up a few items, you will be in the store no longer than 15 minutes give or take. Do you leave your top down while parked or put it up ? Is there a time cutoff for how long you should leave your car parked with the roof down if you are not going to be in the immediate vicinity of the car ? Just curious....

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Just had the very same situation today. Went to the store with the top down. I put the top up when I arrived. Takes a total of 30 seconds to put it up and then take it down when you come out of the store.
I will leave it down when I am going to be within eyesight of it, otherwise the top gets put up.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

if I can see the car I def leave it down... look much better down.. windows up and the club on the wheel... also depends on where I am. If I'm in my town I'd be more likely to leave it down for 20+ mins. But if I'm not gonna be in sight for more than 15-20 then up she goes...

2008 Shelby - L&M Engines - Lund Racing Tune - Corn Fed

Sold - 2006 GT -Vortech H.O S/C 06 GT - 4000LB 11.49 @ 121.45

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007
GT Member
4.6L Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Nyt_Muves
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pg3ibew View Post
Just had the very same situation today. Went to the store with the top down. I put the top up when I arrived. Takes a total of 30 seconds to put it up and then take it down when you come out of the store.
I will leave it down when I am going to be within eyesight of it, otherwise the top gets put up.
This was my philosophy with the 2 verts I had. I also armed the alarm. I did struggle with weather to lock the doors or not with the top up though... My thought was if they just open the door and get what they want it will be MUCH cheaper than them slashing the top to get in and get what they want. I went back and forth on that one...

BULLITT #04385
Gone but never forgotten, Died Valiantly
New Project: Putting 92 5.0L drivetrain into 83 RX7
Built by MAZDA shaken by FORD
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007
S197 Member

I leave mine down at the grocery store all the time. I don't keep anything valuable in the front and the alarm is on. If I'm going to the mall or something I'll put the top up.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007
S197 Member

Same as "2horseowner"
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2007
V6 Member

Pretty much the same as 2horseowner and vintage, but if the top is down, everything inside the car, valuable or not, goes in the trunk and the glove box gets locked. If the top is up, anything of any decent value I try to keep hidden from plain sight. This isn't very difficult for me to do, since I don't keep much in the car, anyway.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

I'm glad I asked this question....this is the first convertible that I have owned and I don't feel completely comfy leaving the top down if I am not going have the car in eyesight. But I don't leave anything of value in the car either. But I almost feel that with the top down people are peering into my space when I'm not there....lol.

By the way....I did lots of driving with the top dropped today, looks like I am going to have to invest in a tube of sunscreen...

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
I'm glad I asked this question....this is the first convertible that I have owned and I don't feel completely comfy leaving the top down if I am not going have the car in eyesight. But I don't leave anything of value in the car either. But I almost feel that with the top down people are peering into my space when I'm not there....lol.

By the way....I did lots of driving with the top dropped today, looks like I am going to have to invest in a tube of sunscreen...
I used to put the top up here in Phoenix for other reasons. It got hot and would bake the interior if you leave the top down.

BULLITT #04385
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Nyt....good point. Although that's more of an issue in the desert than here in the Northeast. However, July and August can get pretty hot here.

V6 Member
S197 Member

Like the others, if I can see her...the top stays down. If I'm going into say Wally-World the top goes up and I park as far away from the store as I can in the lonely sections where no other car would touch her.

There have been cases where I left the top down and went in to eat and have a beer (Snackmaster...can you say Old Chicago?)
GT Member
4.6L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiLLeR_WoMBaT View Post
Like the others, if I can see her...the top stays down. If I'm going into say Wally-World the top goes up and I park as far away from the store as I can in the lonely sections where no other car would touch her.

There have been cases where I left the top down and went in to eat and have a beer (Snackmaster...can you say Old Chicago?)
I always park FAR FAR away. I try to park where no one can get next to me, ie. on the end of a row.

BULLITT #04385
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyt_Muves View Post
I always park FAR FAR away. I try to park where no one can get next to me, ie. on the end of a row.
Nyt....I do the same thing but then there is always the possibility of Murohy's Law. Last week I had to go to my bowling league...I park in a spot that's the furthest away. There are a zillion other spots much closer to the entrance and some idiot with a beat up van pulls up and parks right next to me. I was like....WTF. But he was far enough from me that his door didn't have a chance to touch my car so I waited for him to go in and then I went in. Figured that at least I knew he couldn't ding me.

PONY Member
S197 Member

A few folks on here mentioned putting any valuables in the trunk. Just for my own curiousity (I drive a coupe) do the rear seats fold down in the verts? I also wonder if this might be a reason Ford didn't put a trunk release inside the car.

2005 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Cold Air Intake/Diablosport Predator Tune
Tokico D-Spec Shocks & Struts
Steeda Sport Springs/Front and Rear Swaybar/Front Swaybar Brace/LCAs/Adjustable Panhard Bar and Brace
Steeda-branded Borla Stingers
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
1965 "GT" Logo and some other chrome bits
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeshow View Post
A few folks on here mentioned putting any valuables in the trunk. Just for my own curiousity (I drive a coupe) do the rear seats fold down in the verts? I also wonder if this might be a reason Ford didn't put a trunk release inside the car.
Nope. The verts rear seats do not fold down.

I leave my top down when I go into our neighborhood grocery store or while in the base exchange or commissary. Otherwise it goes up... especially at wally world.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page