Readying for first hand wash/wax, questions? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Readying for first hand wash/wax, questions?

What products and cloths do you folks use for hand washing and waxing? Tips to keep the new paint from getting scratched?

Korey

*1998 Ford Contour SVT* EH 2.5L Duratec v6
Stock as can be, just trying to reverse the damage the previous owner caused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

You may want to check out this site WWW.detailersclub.com go to the exterior section and look at detailing 101.there is a Q & A section after that a 2 page section on how to wash your car these guys know there stuff and very helpful much like the guys on here. The section also has helpful hints on clay bar and waxing I learned alot on there,hope it helps.

06 mustang gt 5 spd manual redfire/Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1 # 372 /Tillman 93 tune/450 rwhp 435 rwt/GT 500 fuel system/high flow cats X pipe / chrome bullitt wheels / 10inch nitto 555/ MGW shifter /SLP Loudmouth/ sequential turn signals/J&M lca/ painted agent 47 mirrors and Zanio
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member

I have had excellent results with clay bar, Zaino, microfiber cloths to dry.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Be sure car is dust free before wiping with anything.Try to rinse off,even if car looks clean.The tiny dirt particles will scratch surface as you polish.( I have a black car so everything shows!)

2006 Mustang GT. CDC classic chin spoiler,Off road x stock axlebacks,Tunable Induction CAI,SCTtuner. FRPP 3.73 gear,Rear window louver,Qtr window louvers.Shaker hood, MACH11 shifter.
Best ET to date- 11.89 @ 114 mph on spray,390 rwhp,520 rwtq
No more Nitrous all motor now.Don't ask.
Car is gone,but still a member...and Mustang fan
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
C5D
Apprentice
S197 Member

I just spent a MARATHON day, cleaning and detailing the Mustang yesterday. Actaully, I'm pretty sick (as in messed up in the head), because I used the car wash as excuse to buy a new hose, hose caddy, polisher, and extension cord caddy. I need help.

I used most of the Meguiars products, since they are available at most auto stores (Clay, ScratchX, Polish, and NXT Liquid). Very happy with the results. I too have a black car, and its all shiney and wet looking.

Two sites that I found helpful:
www.meguiars.com -> They have a nice little online video series about how to care for paint finishes.
www.autopia.org -> a auto detailing forum. They have a really good series about detailing a car. It's about 20 chapters long, very imformative and in depth.

Yep, make sure the car is COMPLETELY clean before polishing and waxing. You may want to get a OXO or California Car Duster to clean in between polishing and waxing.

'06 Clearcoat Black/Dark Charcoal Leather/Parchment Vinyl Top.
C&L CAI, BrenSpeed Tune, Pro5.0 Shifter, Steeda Sport Springs, Tokico D-Spec Struts/Shocks, Eibach Caster Camber Bolts
EPA Estimates say 17/25...so why am I getting only 13? Oh...wait...nevermind.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I also use the Zaino kit...including the car wash soap. What I like about it is it rinses completely clean. Many other car soaps are concentrated, like Turtle Wax. They do a good job but I can always see a soap film. Then I have to rinse the car again and dry it before waxing. Give the Zaino stuff a try. It's a shame they're only mail order.

06 GT Premium, Windveil Blue, Auto, IUP
Mods: Midwest Auto Gear Engine Plenum Cover, Sequential Taillights, Demolet Tunable CAI & SCT Tune, CDC Quarter Window Louvers, Billett Aluminum Interior Items, 8" Shorty Antenna, Powder Coated Valve Covers, Braided Hoses, Flowmaster AT, California Dreamin' Hood, CDC Classic Chin Spoiler, Honeycomb Rear Decklid Blackout Panel, 35% Window Tints, SHR Lower Grill Inserts
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
When it comes to detailing my answer is simple....

I pay a professional to do it.....LOL.

While I will probably be hand washing my car myself at times during the Summer months, when it comes to a full detailing I would never do that myself for several reasons.

1) Would cost me nearly as much just to buy all the detailing materials.

2) Would take me twice as long for half the results as a professional.

3) I hear about people spending "marathon" sessions detailing their own cars....sorry but that's not for me. I'd rather pay someone who can do a FAR better job than I would do and then spend my time actually taking a nice drive.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Korey, i use all the Meguires line,liquid wax is the best and easiest to use.On easy off easy and does a fantastic job. I just washed my car over the weekend for the first time at our new house and used the outside spicket which wasnt attached to the water conditioner,big mistake. Will hook the hose right directly to the hot water heater the next time! Had to clay bar the whole car before its wax,all weekend job. If you PM me your phone number i will let you see/feel the results.ONLY if not raining,lol !!!! We can set a time and place since im just down the road from you. Also i spoke earlier about a new Megiures drying towel i will bring along to show you so you can get one,its da bomb! Meguires NXT , drying towel,bucket,chamois sponge for the windows, and plenty of Microfiber towels,da bomb as well, and some bug n tar is good to have around! Let me know,Brent

2005 Mustang GT-SHR 1/4 louvers -GT500 pedals-AGENT47 Mirrors-shorty Antenna-Redfire Plenum-"BOSS 429" Scoop-Painted Silver Racing Stripes (Ford Ultra Silver Met)-CDC Classic chin-Redfire valve covers-Sequential taillights-REDLINE Elite hood struts -MAG shock tower covers-HURST short throw shifter-SCT XCAL2 -Tune by Brenspeed-BORLA exhaust -C&L Street CAI-AR Dale Jr KILLER chrome 18x8 Wheels-TOYO Proxes4 255/45ZR18-Steeda UDP-Adj Panhard bar-Eibach springs & struts- JM castors-Billet knobs
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
When it comes to detailing my answer is simple....

I pay a professional to do it.....LOL.

While I will probably be hand washing my car myself at times during the Summer months, when it comes to a full detailing I would never do that myself for several reasons.

1) Would cost me nearly as much just to buy all the detailing materials.

2) Would take me twice as long for half the results as a professional.

3) I hear about people spending "marathon" sessions detailing their own cars....sorry but that's not for me. I'd rather pay someone who can do a FAR better job than I would do and then spend my time actually taking a nice drive.
Not me Fuzzy, because then EVERYTIME you see a mark or buff spot youll wonder if they did it! I personally ENJOY doing my own cars. Plus im pretty darn picky too! I even wash the wheel wells! I had a onetime experience with a professional detailer once on my old Chevelle, looked great till i started noticing places on the edges where they burned through the paint while buffing.I guarrentee you the NO ONE will treat your car like its their own,besides that ....they didnt pay the money for it or are not making the payments so take the time,set aside the time to do it yourself.Youll be so much happier! PRIDE dude!

2005 Mustang GT-SHR 1/4 louvers -GT500 pedals-AGENT47 Mirrors-shorty Antenna-Redfire Plenum-"BOSS 429" Scoop-Painted Silver Racing Stripes (Ford Ultra Silver Met)-CDC Classic chin-Redfire valve covers-Sequential taillights-REDLINE Elite hood struts -MAG shock tower covers-HURST short throw shifter-SCT XCAL2 -Tune by Brenspeed-BORLA exhaust -C&L Street CAI-AR Dale Jr KILLER chrome 18x8 Wheels-TOYO Proxes4 255/45ZR18-Steeda UDP-Adj Panhard bar-Eibach springs & struts- JM castors-Billet knobs
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
retro.....I completely disagree, respectfully of course. I have had excellent results with the detailers I have chosen in the past, much better results than I would have if I did it myself. But I chose only very high end detailers. Not one place I have gone to does any buffing by machine....it's totally by hand. Plus they are places that work on very high end vehicles in very upper crust towns in CT. They do Porsches, Mercedes, Beemers, etc. They cost more but I know I am getting a high quality job....and it saves me time.

For people that enjoy doing it themselves.....more power to them. But for me, I would rather spend my time in other ways. I don't think it's right to damn all detailing shops because some of them really take great care with each individual car. Every place I have been to has been doing it for 20+ years and have a pristine reputation.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
GT Member
S197 Member

me do me vert me self.

me do her coupe me self

me do me p/u truck me self

me do me old car me self.

Got Beer!

and questions

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtretroredfire View Post
Korey, i use all the Meguires line,liquid wax is the best and easiest to use.On easy off easy and does a fantastic job. I just washed my car over the weekend for the first time at our new house and used the outside spicket which wasnt attached to the water conditioner,big mistake. Will hook the hose right directly to the hot water heater the next time! Had to clay bar the whole car before its wax,all weekend job. If you PM me your phone number i will let you see/feel the results.ONLY if not raining,lol !!!! We can set a time and place since im just down the road from you. Also i spoke earlier about a new Megiures drying towel i will bring along to show you so you can get one,its da bomb! Meguires NXT , drying towel,bucket,chamois sponge for the windows, and plenty of Microfiber towels,da bomb as well, and some bug n tar is good to have around! Let me know,Brent
I may have to do that. I've only been able to do the car in the car wash and no matter how well u you use the different settings, there are always spots. I love handwashing my cars. It's hard to find a place to wash it on campus, lol. But, I can do it when I go home for a bit next week, but I'll be here all summer working.

So, the list is:
Meguires wax (I think I already have the 3 stage stuff at home from my old car)
Drying towel
Microfiber towels
bucket
chamois sponge
wheel cleaner and tire dressing
clay bar?
What kind of soap do you folks use?

This week is pretty busy with finals and work, but I'll pm you soon and we'll figure something out. I always carry my cell phone with me, so I'm usually available. I'll be in the campus apartments starting in May for the summer, so I'll always be around.

*1998 Ford Contour SVT* EH 2.5L Duratec v6
Stock as can be, just trying to reverse the damage the previous owner caused.
S197 Member

Here's what I like to do - It's part of the Spring cleaning ritual:

I use either Turtle Wax or Mequiars Car Wash and a clean sponge (very important - never use an old dirty sponge that has touched another car or the ground).

Use a chamois or microfiber towel to dry.

Then use a Mequiars Clay Bar to get any of the residual dirt or particulates remaining on the car.

Finally, I use Turtle Wax Ice. It, like many other products available on the market it's a liquid polymer. It goes on real easy and comes with a Microfiber towel for removal of the wax.

The car afterwards is incredibly glass smooth.

Last edited by MEH362; 04-23-2007 at 05:03 PM. Reason: asdf
2.3L Member
S197 Member

MEH362 "ouch"
You use a spong on your GT? That went out years ago! Every sand and dirt particle is "trapped" in the sponge cell, and can act as a grit line. Reconcider!

wally05: Hose the car good. Get three GOOD wash mitts and three Nice quality bath towels. Don't go cheap. Wash (ZAINO is a good product)
Wash GENTLEY, don't push down to hard
Treat little dirt areas gentley. When a mit gets dirty replace it with a new won. Do wheels/tires last.
Dry with as little pressure as possible. Drag the nice towel over the surface with no pressure in a straight line. Just flip up the towel and drag.
I like the Zaino products. Follow their online instructions.
When it comes to polishing I like the Zaino stuff. Just follow instructions from thier site, including direction for applying. Freshen up with the spray.
But I must agree with Fuzzy Dice. Polish your baby, but at least once a year have a good pro detail her.
My 2 cents
GT Member

The meguiar video's are great. that whole web site is a wealth of information.

2005 black GT premium (5spd) / GT500 front LCA/upper strut mounts / Koni Adjustable (yellow)shocks with Roush Springs / FRPP 4:10 rear gear / BMR rear UCA/LCA+relocation brackets / MGW Shifter / Bassani axle backs / Cervinis heat extractor hood and Ducktail spoiler / Carroll Shelby CS69 20x9/20x10 wheels / MSD Blaster 2 coils / Roush TVS2300 Supercharger+Brenspeed 560R upgrade / Exedy Mach 500 Stage 3 Clutch / Exedy lightweight flywheel / SR Performance braided stainless clutch Line / Afco Dual Fan Heat Exchanger upgrade / JLT Catch Can / Axle Exchange one piece aluminum DS / Silly grin on my face every time I turn the key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page