Your stock tire opinions - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Your stock tire opinions

On my 2007 GT the stock tires that came with the car are BF Goodrich g-Force T/A KDWS size 235/50/R18 for those with the 18 inch rims.

What do you guys think of this tire ? I am pleasantly surprised at how they grip and handle. I looked on Tire Rack and saw that the tires are only 94.00 per tire....extremely inexpensive when compared to something like the Michelin Pilot Sport.

For those of you with BF Goodrich's, how have they worn and performed as you have racked up some mileage ?

I know the 17 inch rims used to come with Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S....which I had on my last VW Jetta. I really liked those tires as well.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

I did not think to much of the grip... spun them 3-4 shift @ 65 and 100+.. just upped to some 255/45/18 Riken Raptor... UHP tire... probably still not big enough... but I wanted to stick to an "approved" size and near stock diameter for now.

Yeah the BFG are cheap... that's why ford uses them...

going in next week for new rear suspenion mods to improve traction as well....

2008 Shelby - L&M Engines - Lund Racing Tune - Corn Fed

Sold - 2006 GT -Vortech H.O S/C 06 GT - 4000LB 11.49 @ 121.45
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

I have yet to spin them at all....but I think the grip is quite good for a tire of that price. It gets very high ratings on dry traction and cornering from customers on Tire Rack that reviewed it...over 8 million miles reported for the reviews.

I had Toyo Proxes on my Acura and they were much more expensive, and I think these Goodrich's are actually better when it comes to gripping and cornering.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

well we long as your happy with them.. that is certainly the most important. Start some performance mods and your view may change. My vert is putting down 435 @ the wheels on a mustang dyno... so probably [email protected] the crank... 65-70% more power than stock...

they just did not work for me... and I had yet to really launch her hard!! guess I'll see how good the new shoes are on my clubs June 4th track day!! Hoping for 12ish runs....

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

stk....we are using tires for different purposes. I have no plans for any performance mods, at least not in the near future. I also don't plan to be doing any track racing.

So I am speaking strictly from street usage. For your purposes no all season tire is going to be good enough. You need a performance tire only.

By the way.....nice ride. That's the Tungston color right ? I saw one on the highway yesterday and that is a really nice looking color.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

thanks.. yes its Tungsten grey... and true I really would need a drag slick... but I'm going to the track for fun and see what the car really can do without fear of 5oh.... once in a while on the street I'll run her if the opportunity presents.... for "plain" driving the BFG's were fine...

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

stk....I think the Tungston Gray would have been my 2nd choice for colors, almost a dead heat with black. But my Acura was that kind of color so I wanted something different.

The guy I saw on the highway also had a vert. I was chugging along at about 85-90 (a little faster than I normally drive), and he went past me like I was gramps out for a Sunday drive...lol.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

Well... I had a 89 LX 5.0 BLACK impossible to keep clean... I really like the grey especially with the polished bullits. I do get to CT every now and again. but not this weekend. so it wasnt me!!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
I have yet to spin them at all....but I think the grip is quite good for a tire of that price. It gets very high ratings on dry traction and cornering from customers on Tire Rack that reviewed it...over 8 million miles reported for the reviews.

I had Toyo Proxes on my Acura and they were much more expensive, and I think these Goodrich's are actually better when it comes to gripping and cornering.
Hey FuzzyDice - WTF is that avitar???

2006 Redfire GT Vert Auto, every factory option, 490rwhp JDM Saleen SC, One piece driveshaft, Steeda ultralight springs - rear adjustable UCA and LCAs, CHE relo brackets, Granelli front cross-member, Intrax sway bars, Tokico dampers, Hawk brake pads, Shelby Redline wheels and Nitto tires, GT500 exhaust, FRPP 3.73's, Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation head unit, and Saleen HID headlights. See profile for appearance mods
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007 Thread Starter
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by $teve View Post
Hey FuzzyDice - WTF is that avitar???
I have no idea....but I was busting a gut laughing when I saw it....lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page