Does liquid car wax ever go bad? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007 Thread Starter
God
Rookie

Does liquid car wax ever go bad?

I have some liquid car wax that I really like. Finish 2001. Remember their ads?

"Fifty car washes!!!"

It really does last six months and wipes off with the lightest touch, leaving a gleaming, rock-hard shine. Miss wiping off a spot and you didn't notice it for two weeks? The lightest touch and it comes right off. Shiny paint underneath. I liked that because what if you are in the middle of waxing the car, it's all milky white (drying) and your Girlfriend calls. You go inside while it finishes drying (ordinarily, I watch it with rapt attention because watching wax dry is just so exciting. ). After you get off the phone, you make a sandwich and watch some tv while you eat. Couple hours later, you remember to put the car away for the night and OHMYGOD!!!! The wax is still on the car!!!!

Oh well. The longer it's on there, the easier it is to wipe off. Not like the old Turtle Wax stuff. If it was, I hope you like the way your car looks with all that wax on there because that's how it's staying.

The problem is I can't seem to find that kind of product anywhere anymore. I found a bottle of it in the garage but I bought it in 1999.

Does this stuff ever go bad? I hesitiate to test it on my Mustang. Maybe I'll tip-toe out into the next-door businesses parking lot and sneak-test it on someone else's car?

Creator of the Universe, all things great and small and you.

Do unto others as you would have me do unto you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
4.6L Member

Personally I'd pitch it, especially if the climate has dipped below 30 degrees Celsius in your garage. Not worth the risk in screwing up your paint job...

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd00gt View Post
Personally I'd pitch it, especially if the climate has dipped below 30 degrees Celsius in your garage. Not worth the risk in screwing up your paint job...
Hmm, below 30C....

Yeah, it does that.

In the summer. It snowed on the Fourth of July a couple of years ago.

I checked and there's no expiration date on the wax... but there isn't on most anything else that goes bad either. Fiberglass resin. House paint. Welding rods. Gasoline. Wives.

I am tempted to try it on the black truck because I don't care about making a clean spot. I just wish I could find a Finish 2007; you know?

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Waxed'05 GT
A good quality wax has no more than a true 2 yr usable life, according to my previous employer; Turtle Wax. With that said - if it ever freezes... it's garbage.

but hey, use it if you want to....

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010
Current: '06 F-250 Diesel, '10 CR-V, '11 Civic (Lease)

Ordered 12/12/12 Built 1/25/13 dealer received 1/30/13
2014 GHIG V6 Stick w/Perf. Pkg

post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post

"Fifty car washes!!!"

It really does last six months and wipes off with the lightest touch, leaving a gleaming, rock-hard shine. Miss wiping off a spot and you didn't notice it for two weeks? The lightest touch and it comes right off. Shiny paint underneath. I liked that because what if you are in the middle of waxing the car, it's all milky white (drying) and your Girlfriend calls. You go inside while it finishes drying (ordinarily, I watch it with rapt attention because watching wax dry is just so exciting. ). After you get off the phone, you make a sandwich and watch some tv while you eat. Couple hours later, you remember to put the car away for the night and OHMYGOD!!!! The wax is still on the car!!!!

Oh well. The longer it's on there, the easier it is to wipe off. Not like the old Turtle Wax stuff. If it was, I hope you like the way your car looks with all that wax on there because that's how it's staying.

The problem is I can't seem to find that kind of product anywhere anymore. I found a bottle of it in the garage but I bought it in 1999.

Does this stuff ever go bad? I hesitiate to test it on my Mustang. Maybe I'll tip-toe out into the next-door businesses parking lot and sneak-test it on someone else's car?
with all the good tech polishes and waxes on the market today, ditch that stuff "or use it on your garden tracker, lawnmower, etc" and get a new tech wax.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007
Apprentice
5.0L Member

i use a ploymer base -((WAX))- as you call it. most body shops are going to this base there are many of these out on the market if you can find the stuff call wizards that is the **** i got a bottle from my body guy got it at cost for 26.oo bucks and was wearth every dime. there panel or dash stuff is awsome to. have fun
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007
Apprentice
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd00gt View Post

this is about 88 degrees farenheit; i think that most garages go below this. do you mean 30 farenheit?

~~LEGENDARY LIMER 60~~
2005 legend lime premium GT vert; iup; manual; charcoal interior; jvc navigation; wheel locking kit; boot cover; 17 inch aluminum wheels; active anti-theft; FRPP exhausts; shorty antenna; ford gt plenum cover; strut tower brace; brenspeed sct 2 performance torque tune and steeda cai
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007
S197 Member

[quote=JetBlack;647068]

I checked and there's no expiration date on the wax... but there isn't on most anything else that goes bad either. Fiberglass resin. House paint. Welding rods. Gasoline. Wives.

quote]

Classic
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerout View Post
i use a ploymer base -((WAX))- as you call it. most body shops are going to this base there are many of these out on the market if you can find the stuff call wizards that is the **** i got a bottle from my body guy got it at cost for 26.oo bucks and was wearth every dime. there panel or dash stuff is awsome to. have fun
And most the body shops (at least around here) use the 3M product - which BTW is the ultimate for scratch removal.
A polymer base wax - yes WAX is nothing more than a synthetic base wax.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waxed'05 GT View Post
but hey, use it if you want to....
Hmmmm. There is something ominous about the tone of those words.

They bode.

I am chucking the wax... I am not only throwing it in the garbage, I am throwing it in the garbage, on garbage day so I don't chicken out and try to save it and possibly use it.

Thanks for the input guys. Incidentally, what goes bad in the Turtle Wax, if it gets below freezing? What happens if you use it. It just doesn't act as wax or it screws up your car?

If I used it on my car, would it turn it something terrible, like, I don't know... Legend Lime, or something? LOL!

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlack View Post
Hmmmm. There is something ominous about the tone of those words.

They bode.

I am chucking the wax... I am not only throwing it in the garbage, I am throwing it in the garbage, on garbage day so I don't chicken out and try to save it and possibly use it.

Thanks for the input guys. Incidentally, what goes bad in the Turtle Wax, if it gets below freezing? What happens if you use it. It just doesn't act as wax or it screws up your car?

If I used it on my car, would it turn it something terrible, like, I don't know... Legend Lime, or something? LOL!

Waxes tend to goo up if they freeze - it's not a brand specific thing. I personally would never use and wax, polish, sealant, etc after it has been frozen.

'97 Cobra Vert - sold
'06 GT Sold 6/2010

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Does that mean you have to keep you car from freezing after you wax it
My car isn't gooey in the winter time.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post

"Fifty car washes!!!"

Why do you even need wax ? Considering your screen name can't you just lay your hands on your car and say "SHINE"

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
SHELBY GT 500 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
Why do you even need wax ? Considering your screen name can't you just lay your hands on your car and say "SHINE"
Obviously a false God.

AFM Site Administrator
2006 Tungsten Grey Mustang GT Manual.
Alpine H/U with Infinity speakers.
Powerhouse CAI and Tune.
Previous Mustangs:
1978 2.8 L, 1979 5.0, 1982 5.0 "HO", 1986 5.0 GT

Don't wait for tomorrow to look back and wish for today
S197 Member

I think I had some of that 2001 wax before.....might have been back in 2001, it came in a lime green bottle I think.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page