Does the 05+ mustang engine rev limiter start out lower then change after break in. - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Does the 05+ mustang engine rev limiter start out lower then change after break in.

Well as my topic says I was wondering if anyone else has heard this about the engine rev limiter. I was told by my brother who bought a new '05 mustang back in '05 that he initially could only get the rpm's up to 3000 no higher. Then after putting about 15,000 miles on the car and taking it to his dealer for the 15000 mile service he got it back and suddenly he could take it to almost 6000 rpm, he went back to the dealer and asked what they did and they told him that they changed nothing it was just that the engine rev limiter was set low initially till after a preset break in time/mileage so you could not blow up the engine (their words) then it changed up to about the redline point. Anyone else heard of this or where they spinning him a story?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford2 View Post
Well as my topic says I was wondering if anyone else has heard this about the engine rev limiter. I was told by my brother who bought a new '05 mustang back in '05 that he initially could only get the rpm's up to 3000 no higher. Then after putting about 15,000 miles on the car and taking it to his dealer for the 15000 mile service he got it back and suddenly he could take it to almost 6000 rpm, he went back to the dealer and asked what they did and they told him that they changed nothing it was just that the engine rev limiter was set low initially till after a preset break in time/mileage so you could not blow up the engine (their words) then it changed up to about the redline point. Anyone else heard of this or where they spinning him a story?
3000 RPM and no higher ??? That's impossible....even an automatic tranny revs to higher than that before making a downshift, even with the lightest foot.

And from what I have read the GT does not have a rev limiter but has a speed limiter that allows a top speed of 146 MPH.

Of course I could be clueless....lol

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007
nghtrnnr

no....it doesnt change...i got up to 140 on the first day

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I hit the rev limiter at about 5800-6000 about a week after I got it. Rain+hard acceleration=discovery of rev limiter.

No the techs obviously fixed the problem and I am surprised the owner didn't bring the car in for that problem. It's possible his fly-by-wire accelerator system was not set properly.

If that were my car, I would have been so disappointed in it's performance!

"Wow, the new tune *really* woke it up!" LOL!!!

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

As far as I know, the GT (2005, at least) does have a rev limiter. I've never heard of it being set low for a break-in period, though. It's set at red line, or a little over. I've bonked the rev limiter at 110 in 3rd gear, which is a weird feeling! And not in a good way, since I think it cuts the gas to the engine. Mind you, I've heard it's a good idea to keep the RPM's under 3000 during whatever break-in period you feel is appropriate. I did that for the first 1000 miles, and it was really hard!

You can remove the speed limiter with some tuners, though. That was one of the first things I did when I was playing with mine (a Diablosport Predator).

2005 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Cold Air Intake/Diablosport Predator Tune
Tokico D-Spec Shocks & Struts
Steeda Sport Springs/Front and Rear Swaybar/Front Swaybar Brace/LCAs/Adjustable Panhard Bar and Brace
Steeda-branded Borla Stingers
Steeda Underdrive Pullies
1965 "GT" Logo and some other chrome bits
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Rev limiter is set to 6250 rpm. It does not change unless someone changes it in the tune.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
smokeshow....the owner's manual says there is no "break in period" for the engine. It only says to avoid driving at one constant speed for a long trip, that you should vary the speed for the first 1000 miles. Something most people do anyway unless they are using cruise control.

If anyone told you to keep the RPMs below 3000 for the first 1000 miles they are totally whacked out. Someone who is driving an automatic tranny won't even have any control over that for the most part.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice
S197 Member

Thanks for all the replies, I will let my brother know that they fed him a line about that. I thought it was a little bit strange they had told him that, as I know with my '06 GT, his is a GT also, I had it above 3000 right from purchase but I don't know a whole lot about these engines so I was not sure. Could be too that his some how got set wrong and they corrected it at the dealer when he took it in and they did not want to admit it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page