TPMS Bands on new rims - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007 Thread Starter
S197 Member

TPMS Bands on new rims

What's up guys...

I got new rims the other day and it took the tire shop over an hour to try to put on new bands. In the end they couldn't do it. They ended up using a strong duct tape to tape the sensor inside the rim and then cut holes in the tape allow for the holes on the sensor to sense tire pressure. Its working so far. The problem was that the bands the had in stock were wider than the sensor could accomodate.

What experience have you folks had with bands and new rims? The shop owner said really long zip ties might work also.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I carry the sensor in my glove box. It's pretty high tech. I call it my "Tire Pressure Gauge"

Doesn't your anti-lock system know if your tire pressure is low? It counts revolutions and knows when one tire gets smaller than the others because it makes more revs per mile.

I think I would have wanted the proper size band, if I really wanted the pressure sensors in there.

Duct Tape on a new Mustang?

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007 Thread Starter
S197 Member

The tape is inside the rim. You cant see it.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I know of one other person who did the duck tape thing. I would just be concerned about it eventually coming loose from the constant G forces.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

I just went without. I just have to hit the reset button when I start the car. No big deal. Wasn't worth the extra expense of getting new bands. I also heard some people have problems with these things anyway.

2007 GT Coupe, Auto, Black, Dark Charc. Leather Interior
332 rwhp
307 torque
Mods: Exterior:18x9 front 18x10 rear DD Chrome Bullitt, Nitto 555's, GT/CS side scoops, CDC Classic Chin, Clear Side Markers Exhaust: Pypes LT Headers, Hi-Flow Cats, H pipe and Violators Engine: C&L Street (Chromed) w/ Brenspeed tunes, Chrome Valve Covers, MWG painted radiator cover and extensions, Custom polished/engraved strut tower covers, Chrome fuse box cover, billett fluid caps
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangMe View Post
I just went without. I just have to hit the reset button when I start the car. No big deal. Wasn't worth the extra expense of getting new bands. I also heard some people have problems with these things anyway.
The sensors do let you reconsider making a new wheel purchase. I was looking at rims on tirerack and then the bands and sensors were like another 456.00 charge for the 4 wheels. Sure adds a considerable costs on it. I am sure lot of people will reconsider purchases at this cost.
Your system includes:
TPMS SENSOR
$236.00 for a quantity of 4
TPMS STRAP
$219.96 for a quantity of 4
Total Price: $455.96

Not sure if these sensors are a manufacturer idea or a compliance issue, for some reason thinking a compliance thing. For me just another useless thing for us to pay for and not really get any benefits from it.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3000 View Post
What's up guys...

I got new rims the other day and it took the tire shop over an hour to try to put on new bands. In the end they couldn't do it. They ended up using a strong duct tape to tape the sensor inside the rim and then cut holes in the tape allow for the holes on the sensor to sense tire pressure. Its working so far. The problem was that the bands the had in stock were wider than the sensor could accomodate.

What experience have you folks had with bands and new rims? The shop owner said really long zip ties might work also.
Maybe you should of just waited for them to get the correct bands instead of the duck tape. Don't think I would have them doing a bandade fix. Tires and wheels do get heated up.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMyStang View Post
Maybe you should of just waited for them to get the correct bands instead of the duck tape. Don't think I would have them doing a bandade fix. Tires and wheels do get heated up.
That tape gives way and those things are going to be bouncing around inside

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page