Best Mustang Ever? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Best Mustang Ever?

Whaddya think? I'm thinking '05 - present, because...

1. Nice classic styling (overall probably prefer the '67-'68, but the current one is just a small notch below IMHO).
2. Best combination of performance ever (power and handling).
3. Best interior ever... looks, comfort, convenience items.
4. Best brakes ever (4 wheel disks).
5. Current technology for reliability and safety makes it a cut above previous stangs.

Maybe this is a silly question, since people who come here are probably a little biased (lol), but as always, opinions are welcome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
I would agree but with a caveat.

I think any newer model is going to be far superior to models from a decade or more ago. The technology makes it a better overall vehicle. With that being said you can look at it from purely an asthetic point of view. In my opinion the 2005+ Mustang is the best looking Mustang ever. Obviously a completely restored classic like a '67-'68 is a real beauty as well. But the Mustangs of the past 20 years or so fall flat in styling if you ask me. Buying a Mustang never even crossed my mind until the 2005 was released. As soon as I saw it I knew I would own one someday.

Ford hit a home run with the re-styling of the Mustang. They should never go back, they should just refine this body style a little for the next decade if you ask me. Ford needs to come out with more products like this. Cars that can compete with Infiniti, Lexus, Acura, BMW, etc in terms of styling and performance. I'd like to see Ford develop a really sleek looking 4 door luxury sports sedan that sells in the mid 30s. Then market it the way Lexus, Acura and Infiniti market their products that are in that price range. I know Ford wants to concentrate on lower priced cars that they can market to the masses, but if they get a couple of cars that appeal more to the upper middle class then it can have a trickle down effect. People that buy Toyotas know that Lexus is part of Toyota so it makes them feel like they are purchasing a poor man's Lexus. Maybe Ford could try to spin off a division that markets some more expensive and performance intense automobiles.

Ok end of rant....lol

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
MACH I Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to Kyle F Send a message via Yahoo to Kyle F
I love the new one.... don't get me wrong... but,

I am putting my Vote in for the Fox. Look how long the platform was ablr to run and still keep pace with other cars.

It had the 302 that was very easily buildable.

Confortable car overall

Great individual style for the run, didn't have to borrow looks from any other generation.

Well, and hey.... 5.0 just sounds cool.

2006 Mustang GT in Torch Red
C&L Intake, Evolution Performance Tune, Borla Axle Backs, Hurst Shifter, 4.10's, JBA Long Tubes, Prothane Engine Mounts, Steeda UDPs, FRPP Charge Motion Delete Plates

84 Bronco, 302 C6 on 32 10.50's

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark C. View Post
Whaddya think? I'm thinking '05 - present, because...

1. Nice classic styling (overall probably prefer the '67-'68, but the current one is just a small notch below IMHO).
2. Best combination of performance ever (power and handling).
3. Best interior ever... looks, comfort, convenience items.
4. Best brakes ever (4 wheel disks).
5. Current technology for reliability and safety makes it a cut above previous stangs.

Maybe this is a silly question, since people who come here are probably a little biased (lol), but as always, opinions are welcome.
All good arguments. I just wish there were fewer of them on the road. I miss the days when they really turned heads (because nobody had them).

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

The S197 is the best Mustang ever because:

1) Awesome good looks, retro yet modern, sleek, sexy, macho.
2) Sweeeeeeet all aluminum 3V SOHC 281, awesome power and purely wicked sound.
3) Stiff chassis and great balance with 52/48 weight distribution make twisty roads a pleasure.
4) cool retro interior/
5) A plethora of aftermarket goodies.
6) Fun and easy to dress up (if not inexpensive). Make it look like a 67 Eleanor or Shelby, a 69 Boss, or design your own. They all look great!

Bottom line, this car is as much fun to drive as it is to be seen driving.

93 GT hatchback, 5 speed, 3.08 gear, mechanical clutch. Mods: K&N filter, air silencer removed

07 GT premium coupe, stick, IUP, comfort group, 3.55 gear, spoiler delete
Mods: Hurst Competition Plus short shifter, De Molet Tunable Induction CAI, SCT Xcal2
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
S197 Member

The 05+ to me is the best ever for all the reasons posted so far. I was a teenager in the Muscle Car Era but was never able to have one. My 389 '61 two door "bubble top" Catalina wasn't quite muscler car. But have always remebered seeing and being around those awsome machines. Then the first time I saw the 05 Mustang it was 1968 again. Had to have one. Love the car and love being a teenager again.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007
MACH I Member
S197 Member

The '05 may be the best for me because...well, simply put, I could just drive it off the lot. I was ready to buy a classic to restore, but when I saw the '05 concept, that idea got dropped. Classic styling with all the modern conveniences, comforts, and performance, and safety.
However, the only reason these cars are so great is because of the classic Mustangs they're patterned after. If there had been no classic mustang, I doubt these cars would be as popular as they are. I have my '05 and love it. I'm considering selling my showroom clean F-150 and picking up a '99-'04 Mustang drop-top. And my wife is finally starting to relax on the idea of having the '05 and also picking up an older mustang to restore. (keep your fingers crossed)
So is this the greatest Mustang ever? I certainly wouldn't trade my '05 for a classic, but....

'05 Sonic Blue GT w/ '07 V8 engine, 5-sp, IUP, Beige leather interior, nothing else -
just the way I wanted it. (1 of 113)
OK, so I've added a few things to it. Check my Profile - too many to list here.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007
GT Member
S197 Member

Having owned many Mustangs from a 1966 Fastback a 1969 428CJ Mach I to my current 06 GT. I can say my 06 GT can hold its own with with my old Mach I in the fun to drive dept. The S197's are fantastic cars. All we need now is an all alluminium 7 liter big block pumping out a solid 500 HP and coming in at premium of less than $5000 over a regular GT. That would be my dream Mustang.:hihi:

2010 Shelby GT500 Coupe
Grabber Blue w/white stripes, HID's, FRPP Suspension, Borla Stingers.
2014 GT Convertible
5.0, Auto, Prem, Gotta Have It Green, Cloth top, 20"Bullits, Magnaflow Street axlebacks
SOLD-(July 2 2009)2006 Mustang GT,FRPP/Whipple HO Supercharger, Satin Silver, 5spd manual, 3.55's and much more.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-27-2007
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdvision View Post
Having owned many Mustangs from a 1966 Fastback a 1969 428CJ Mach I to my current 06 GT. I can say my 06 GT can hold its own with with my old Mach I in the fun to drive dept. The S197's are fantastic cars. All we need now is an all alluminium 7 liter big block pumping out a solid 500 HP and coming in at premium of less than $5000 over a regular GT. That would be my dream Mustang.:hihi:
Yes, but don't you ever wish you still had the 69 in the garage beside the 06?

06 Redfire GT Premium, 5-sp, IUP, Red Leather Interior, Shaker 500, Active Anti-Theft, 17" bright machined
GT Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdvision View Post
All we need now is an all alluminium 7 liter big block pumping out a solid 500 HP and coming in at premium of less than $5000 over a regular GT. That would be my dream Mustang.:hihi:
Yes Yes Yes

93 GT hatchback, 5 speed, 3.08 gear, mechanical clutch. Mods: K&N filter, air silencer removed

07 GT premium coupe, stick, IUP, comfort group, 3.55 gear, spoiler delete
Mods: Hurst Competition Plus short shifter, De Molet Tunable Induction CAI, SCT Xcal2
Apprentice
S197 Member

The question is so large..... what makes a Mustang great, and which is the greatest?

I'd have to say it has to be the 69-70 Boss and Mach 1's... The current car is basically a tribute to that era, which is the greatest compliment to the car. Even the Saleen P. Jones car is a tribute to that era. The new cars are fantastic machines, but the "greatest" ever had to be the 69-70 Mustangs. The Mustangs from that era are a very real reason why we all love the S197 so much.

Pony Ride 2 - 2007 Grabber Orange GT Premium with 5-speed manual transmission
MACH I Member
S197 Member

I like the s197 best because it has looks, power, handling, fuel economy and great durability.

I don't think any other model ever had all of those attributes.

Lots of great cars in the Mustang History books but this one hit the longest homerun, in my opinion.

2006 Black, GT, spoiler delete, five speed, leather, custom welded straight pipes with resonators, sequential turn signals, Hurst Pro Performance shifter. FRPP 4.10s with Motive bearing kit, Spydershaft one piece aluminum driveshaft, w/ Spicer 1330 U-joints, Steeda UCA and LCAs, chrome moly panhard rod. bye bye wheel hop, hello traction! SCT XCalII, BBK CAI, ZEX 100 shot.
I've written a book or two. Google David Buschhorn to laugh at my scribblings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page