Ford Mustang Forum banner

Are Mustangs practical for snowy regions?

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  blk281gt 
#1 ·
I posted earlier regarding my Mustang purchase dilema. While the idea of owning a powerful blue-blooded American sports car is intriguing I wonder if 300 hp routed to the rear wheels is a recipe for disaster on snow and/or ice covered roads? Is the Mustang at last a fair weather car? one which is unsuited for the climes of the northeast?

#5 ·
I have driven mine for two winters now in Alberta Canada and have had no problems. Is it hard to get around when it really icy. you bet! but I tend not to drive real fast and not be in a huge hurry under icy conditions. Is a front wheel drive better in snow and ice, of coarse! but I still drove right along side all the front wheel drives all winter and at times actualy had better of the line traction than some of the FWD's because of the posi diff in the stang. I grew up in a snowy area and never owned a FWD or 4WD, so driving a new stang in these conditions is no big deal unless you want to save your stang from the other drivers and also the salt and other crap they put on winter roads. Before the 80's there was not very many FWD's on the road and we all got around just fine. A little slower at times but we got there.

#6 ·
Short answer - yes.

Long answer - get a pair of dedicated snows and rims. Just swap them out yourself when the weather changes. With a good set of snows, these are very predictable cars. Without a good set of snows, you're an accident waiting to happen.

#8 ·
I've driven mine rain, snow, ice and shine for 13 years now. Good tires (Blizzak's rule but are expensive) and a sensible foot will rule the day. My only issue is really hard packed snow for some reason - ice seems to offer a little better traction (I think I'm likely losing my mind here though). One comforting thought, if you do go off-roading, you'll likely keep the wheels down due to low center of gravity!

#9 ·
I drove mine all miserable long winter with no real problems. Get good winter rated tires for all 4 corners (not just the rears like the old days) and you should be ok. But for not much more than a set of snow tires you can buy a beater and not worry about your Mustang. I have a 93 Civic for a beater now that my wife has her Pony. So no GT driving next winter.:)

#14 ·
On buying a beater

Thank you Cd. Your advice is appropriate for those who do not reside in a city that imposes some of the nation's highest automobile insurance rates on its residents. In
addition the logistical obstacles presented by finding parking for two cars in my neighborhood would be daunting. The alternative, to park indoors, would cost over $300 per month (were I lucky enough to beg a second space from management-spaces are prized commodities where I live). If I saddle up the Mustang and I will have an exclusive relationship. There is no practical alternative.

Now, if you were in my shoes..................?

#10 ·
I drove mine for a while 2 winters ago due to my truck having problems. Western pa. Snow and hills along with no road without turns all over the place. My high performance tires sucked in snow. The posi powered by a v8 and short wheel base tried to make my rear bumper pass the front bumper on several occasions. Maybe the speed tires contributed to that along with my naturally heavy foot though.
I hate front wheel drive cars. I feel better with the steer by rear method. Maybe if I still have the gt ragtop next winter I'll try snow tires and weight just to test it.
Good luck with it. If you are a good driver you should be fine.

#11 ·
As a desert dweller, unacustomed to driving in snow, the few times I have gotten caught with no alternative, I would tell you that it was a challenge to me. I am just not used to snow. The BEST handling car I ever had in snow was my 84 Jaguar XJS with a V12. Probably due to the weight. It did better than did my 89 CRXsi with front wheel drive. I think if I had put weight in the back, and if I had snow tires, instead of ultra-performance summer type tires, I probably would have had a better experience. As it was, with the light rear end, and fat rear tires, that rear just really wanted to come around. I have never been in snow with any Mustang newer than my 98, so I didn't have the benifit of traction control either.

#12 ·
I drove my stang out of a 2 foot snow storm when I was on vacation from Mt.Washington to Boston. You just have to take it easy and use common sense. It can be tricky sometimes but most of the time I don't like to go out unless its COMPLETELY necessary. Sometimes it can be scary. For instance I was on a hill stopped at a red light when it JUST started snowing and there was barely anything on the ground. Anyways, it turned green I hit the gas and I was spinning my wheels and going backwards. I got traction right before I almost slid into the guy behind me. Its always an option to get a beater truck if its on your budget. Its not necessary though. If a stang can make it through a New England winter I'm sure it would be ok elsewhere.

#13 ·
the next ?? you should ask yourself is can you keep a beater car where you live. if so get a $500 car for winter so if you get an ice storm and someone plows into you your not crying about your car. i had some dude with a ford f-350 plow into my geo metro at a stop light he could not get it stoped it had rain-sleat-snowed all day. i made out pertty good on that deal got the car for $450 and the guy bought the car $1800 on the spot and i got a free taxi ride for the 60 miles home :)

#17 ·
yes, that does make it harder. sometime in bigger citys if you get a better rate on storeage if you pay for it 6 months at a time and better yet if you can pay the hole year. i live in iowa with the corn :evilchuck but have buddys that live in big citys most ethier rent a space out in the boon docks and switch cars once a year or park it at a buddys with a garge with a space open. or just drive it in the winter and keep it washed. hope it works out for you

#18 ·
Stock tires are terrible in the snow.But do not worry, global warming is coming anyways!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.