Ford Mustang Forum banner

Is you car a magnet for stupid drivers?

4K views 36 replies 24 participants last post by  JetBlack 
#1 ·
I swear since I've had this car, people either try to race me b/c they hate my car, flip me off b/c they hate my car, OR (my favorite) are not paying attention b/c they are staring at my car and then they nearly hit people. I've had three guys try to "race" me in the past week and it really bugs me b/c when I'm passing this guy a few nights ago, he kept speeding up so I couldn't pass him. I get sick of it, drop it into 4th and go, I turn on my turn signal, he decides to be "funny" and gun it to get up on me, laughing. He passes and cuts me off. Sometimes I miss driving my beaters. :)

Good note, I got behind a black GT on a barren stretch on the highway. I passed it and noticed a woman with a kid in the passenger seat. I gave them a wave and kept going. She passes me about 10 mins later and her kid leaned out the window a tiny bit, looked my car over, then smiled and gave me a big thumbs up. :) Good stuff happens, but I hate it when people do stupid stuff on the road.

#3 ·
I have to say yes my car is a stupid people/driver magnet, as I said in my introduction post my car was damaged twice this week! First some little fat kid hits my passenger door leaving a scratch/paint transfer. Then last night a jerk hit and ran me in a parking lot, breaking my passenger tail light and denting the trunk lid! Other from that everybody in even half fast cars (and trucks) tries to race me everywhere I go. I don't participate because I don't want to give them the satisfaction of pissing me off.

#4 ·
Anybody who doesn't have a Mustang just wants to see you get on it. My neighbor hears me start up, doesn't matter what time of the day, and has to run out to the road and give me the "spin em" finger roll. One day he even came out in his drawers... like I want to see that. But other than that, I get so many during the week, usually those with weed eater engines, that try to show me something. A Hyundai doing a 7000 rpm clutch dumping just to get a chirp doesn't impress me.

#7 ·
i've had a Chevy Van full of YMCA kids revving next to me at a stoplight :rolleyes:

really i have to agree i get so many haters shouting out their windows, flipping the bird, not letting me change lanes, cutting me off, making right turns on red right in front of me... it sucks! jealous S.O.B.s is what they are...

#8 ·
Mine is not a daily driver. But usually somebody says or motions something to you. And the police are no different than the public ( at least by me ). I guess it is a compliment in a wierd way I am getting better but still not used to it.

#10 ·
Where do you guys live that all these people want to race you and see what your cars got? I've only had a few people which on average since I had my car is like 1 challenge every 3-4 months which is nothing. Mine is a daily driver and I drive it A LOT! I never get challenged at red lights, on empty highways, no where really. Just people with big mouths that say they wanna race but just happened to not have their car with them.

Funny story. I'm in traffic and I look over 3 cars ahead in the next lane and I see this AWFUL riced out to the max car. 2 different paint jobs, gigantic wing, ugly hood scoop, ugly rims and of course a fart can. I wanted to let the kid know his car was retarted looking so I pulled up next to him at the red light and started looking at his car and laughing right in his face to piss him off. I then give the sarcastic remark of, "nice car buddy." The light turns green and he drives up next to me and starts beeping. He takes his sunglasses of and what do ya know, its one of my best friends from high school lmao. He then says in response to me sarcastily making fun of his car, "you too!" I was laughing the whole ride home.

Point is, I don't know where you guys get people flipping you off and revving to you. I never got that. In fact, I raced more in my old f-150 than I did in this car. I never really revv on anyone else b/c when you do that to someone you better be ringing it, and my stang is only a V6 so I don't have that V8 confidence. Otherwise I'd be revving all day!

#12 ·
I get all types it seems, I think the worste are the jealous drivers. The ones driving old beaters or work trucks that do arsehat things because they can't have a nice car.

I had a HUGE jacked up chevy truck stop at a light with me. I can see he wants to race, but it's a BUSY area, right out front of a mall area. He loads up his truck, I can see it leaning forward into the brakes. And then the light turns green and he goes peeling off with a person yelling crap out the passenger window at me. To bad for stupid he didn't see the cop sitting at the cross street 2 blocks up the road.

I've only had one driver talk crap to me and I just did the old "What? What did you say? huh? I can't hear you" while reving the engine to 5 grand and letting the Borlas sing.

#13 ·
It's hard to say that there are stupid drivers who are just out for my Stang out here. There are just stupid drivers in general. With that said, I've only really had one person try and challenge me. A guy at work had an 04 GT and wanted to race at a light while I was still stock. We had fun (yes I won of course), but that was it. He didn't try and run me off the road or anything like that. Most of the ricers know better, partly b/c I'm a bit on the fearless and reckless side sometimes and will take them on w/o a second thought. Yes, it's stupid, but I'm young and get a pass for that, lol. But mostly, I don't get too many trying to race me and I don't really go looking for it either. Wrapping the car around a tree wouldn't be that cool in the long run.

#14 ·
I have had a handful of sport compacts, a minivan or two, a chevy truck, a few modern muscle cars (i.e. Chargers, GTOs, TransAms, Camaros, and F-150 Lightenings), but I must admit, I have not had anyone flip me off, give me the bird, talk serious trash, or downright haters.

I get an occasional Vette or Mustang, but we always give each other the proper respect.

Most of the friendly bouts of competition I have been in have ended with head nods and thumbs up.

My best was a Chevy Silverado...he came up to me at a light, I did not relaize he was playing, then he stomped on it..and I could no t have that so I returned the favor and flew by. He caught up at the next light, looked me in the eye, reved his engine, and I knew it was on. Light turns green, I hit it hard....the Chevy may have seen my licesne plate before he became a distant memory in the rear. He later came up, rolled down his window and was smiling like a boy in a video store...saying, ?Man, I thought I could at least hang with you, but you handed me my pride on a silver plater!" Then we both laughed. It was all good.

I also liked shutting up a big mouth female friend of mine who boasted her Harley Davidison F-150 (w/supercharger) would totally waste my Stang (which she claims she has done to other Stangs). To this day, she is still eating crow. I thought about letting her win, her being a gorgeous lady and a good friend, but her attitude changed my mind.

#15 ·
I had a little Honda, Hyundai, Suzuki whatever-this-piece-of-Jap-crap was give me the annoying brrrrrrrrpp out of that 6 inch coffee can today. They're not worth the gas it takes to rev... especially when the 93 octane gas here has hit $3.39 a gallon.

#19 ·
I had a little Honda, Hyundai, Suzuki whatever-this-piece-of-Jap-crap was give me the annoying brrrrrrrrpp out of that 6 inch coffee can today. They're not worth the gas it takes to rev... especially when the 93 octane gas here has hit $3.39 a gallon.
$3.39 for 93? Shoot, I need to move back home. It's $3.50+ for 91 out here. :sadcry:

#16 ·
Test yourself

It's tough, but you just gotta let them go. Afterall, what are you proving by racing them really? All it takes is an inconspicuous 75 shot of NOS for some ricer to get the upper hand. It is very difficult at times to restrain myself, but on the very rare occasions that this stuff happens, I just drive like a grandpa on purpose. I didn't buy this car to race it and prove I am fast. You must remember who you are dealing with....KIDS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!! If they are dead set on thinking your car is Sh$T and that they are faster with 4 cyl, then for heaven's sake just let them. I would sooner pull them out of the car and beat their faces in due to the disrepect then I would race them and put innocent people's lives in jeopardy. Trust me, you will get just as much of a rush from beating them silly. And the only time I would do something like that is if they did something truley provoking like throwing a cig butt at my car.......oh yeah they will be sh$tting assphalt for a week for something like that.

#21 ·
It's tough, but you just gotta let them go. ... It is very difficult at times to restrain myself, but on the very rare occasions that this stuff happens, I just drive like a grandpa on purpose. I didn't buy this car to race it and prove I am fast. .....QUOTE]

I own two Mustangs. An 05GT (supercharger, nitrous, yada, yada, daily driver) and a 2007 GT500. I can tell you for sure that when I take the GT500 for a drive, it is like the car is covered with glue - it attracts simple minded morons like flies to a fresh dog turd.

As zenflow mentions above, and I agree, I just drive it like the grandpa I really am and enjoy the pukes in their junkmobiles who waste gas at traffic lights trying to make me give a crap who they are.

Driving on the freeway is even worse. I get tailgated by every manner of piece of junk ever created; driven by a toothless idiot who thinks noise equals speed. I just motor along and don't give them the satisfaction. I get actually relish driving this car at the speed limit! It's truly amazing the number of people who pass me by who prove with hand signals they can not count higher than one. Like I care.

However, and under threat of significant police brutality I will admit I do enjoy an occasional bowl of Ricer Krispies with milk (I am sure you get my point).

www.mcleodscotties.com for photos of my GT500.

#17 ·
Just picked up a 2005 about a month ago...so far not many ricers hating on me or trying to race, but I guess its just a matter of time.

I tell ya though (wrong forum, I know) my old '92 LX 5.0 was the magnet of all magnet for idiots. Didn't matter what they were driving, they'd hear those Flowmasters on my 5.0 and something in them would just flip, it seemed. I remember once, sitting at a light- it turns green and I hear the tires chirp on the car next to me- wasn't even paying attention to him- I look over and its some guy in a run of the mill, piece of s*** early 90's Tercel who decides to gun it. Well we had a good straight stretch of road w/ no traffic in front of us so I lay the hammer down and left him so far in the dust that he probably never did that again.
Also vividly remember another time- heavy traffic on a 4 lane road, some moron in a crappy-ass Neon is behind me, riding my ass, changing lanes back and forth doing anything he can to try and get ahead of me.
Well traffic is too heavy to pass, so he decides to sit on my ass and put his headlights on. Like I'm supposed to do something. He has his chick in the car with him, so he's obviously trying to impress her. Finally my street is coming up to turn right, so naturally I don't signal and wait to brake at the last possible second and he flips me off as I turn. WTF is up with some people? I chalk it up to plain old jealously, but jeez it gets old sometimes.

#18 ·
My entire life is a magnet for stupid people in general. I can't avoid them.

The collective IQ of the country is plummeting.

#25 ·
My entire life is a magnet for stupid people in general. I can't avoid them.

The collective IQ of the country is plummeting.

BWAHAHAHA! :D

I saw a kid at the drags, last night, lined up against the car I wanted to race (guy's brand new GTO, with an auto). Kid is driving a new Mazda 6 with rims. He kept saying he thought he could hang with the Pontiac. He felt he'd be pretty good in the launch. He did stop talking when I told the GTO guy that his car was slightly faster than mine. Kid looked at my Mustang.

"..."

The last thing I heard, as they were getting to the front, was the two of them revving... Kid says "All right! I only have squirrels in mine!" That GTO sounded cool!

Moron kid.

The Goat owner had his overweight wife in the car, which was one of the reasons I wanted to go against him. I figured her 240 pounds might swing the race my way if the guy was a decent driver. He pulled a 14.8 with a .7 RT and I forgot to pay attention to the 6 driver but he obviously did not win.

#20 ·
I just saw the news... the gas prices in Raleigh were literally jumping around from $2.84 and the place got swamped enough to cause a 30 minutes traffic jam. The attendant came out and raised it to $3.19 and people drove away. Then he dropped it again to $2.92 and then had another traffic jam. In total, it was $2.84, $3.19, $2.92, $3.29, $3.09, and then settled on $3.39, all within an hour. Price gouging f^$*@rs...

#23 ·
I had a guy last weekend at a stop light across the steet from me in a p.o.s grand am look directly at me and rev his engine and speed off. I don;t know how in the world he that that he could run with me. it was so funny I laughed all the way home.

#24 ·
Haha, my internet has been down, so I haven't been able to read the responses until now. Geez, well at least I know I'm not alone. The guy that was jerking me around was in a mid-90's Bonneville with a girl in the passenger seat. He was laughing about it, but I saw her hit him and then his smile went away. The thing that sux is that that road is usually well patrolled by the city and county police... only if one of them was there. ;)

#26 ·
Man, I don't know why it is, but it's always a Dodge Ram with a hemi that wants to go. The first time it happened, I had an 04 GT and absolutely smoked him. I no longer bother since I got the 06 GT.:headscratch:

#32 ·
I get this occasionally...I love to adjust Hemi-tudes..

Makes me smile big!:hihi:

#27 ·
Wow, interesting mix of responses here. I seem to get all types.....know what I mean. In general, I get more thumbs up, then negativity..... and to date I've never been flipped off by anyone in an American made vehicle.

I have had the "number one" sign given to me from several of the ricer crowd--and this makes me feel all warm inside LOL. Amazingly, each time I was flipped off was when I was trying to just ignore them --one was inching /punching it next to me at a cruise, the other tme, revving me" at a light. Each time, I'm glad to just turn up my Shaker 500 and enjoy my Stang. I've had some hilarious encounters though. All kinds... I'm convinced that most of these folks just want to hear us open them up.

I know I've been destroyed several times, 3x by C606's, 1X - via Viper and the end all 1X by an E55 --man from a 60mph punch on the highway, good god those E55 are blindingly fast--I can see why they do well on the Autobahns in Germany.... I have to admit, I just wanted to hear, see (and feel) what they had.... I'm here to report each had enough to waste me pretty good. Heh, it's all fun. That's part of enjoying the Mustang. I couldn't be happier with it - for the performance, what a bargain! I'd say, just ignore all negativity and enjoy our wonderful Stangs!

#28 ·
Only one "stupid" encounter so far after 1 1/2 months.

Was driving home on the highway from Norwalk Raceway last week, and was doing 70 in the left lane when I passed a new GTO in the right lane going 60 ( in a 65 mph zone ). Not speeding or showing off, just keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Well.........I got about 8-10 car lengths ahead of the GTO, and the driver decided to hit it and pulled up right beside me in the right lane. He hung there for a while and then backed off. For a second, I couldn't figure out why he reacted this way. But then it hit me................

I still had my number shoe polished on the side window from the drag strip. My number that night was F317, which I assume the GTO driver interpreted as a 13.17 et ( the "F" looked suspiciously like a "1" ) -- and then he decided he wanted no part of me!

Not that I would've raced him anyway..........had enough of that at the track........

#33 ·
I still had my number shoe polished on the side window from the drag strip. My number that night was F317, which I assume the GTO driver interpreted as a 13.17 et ( the "F" looked suspiciously like a "1" ) -- and then he decided he wanted no part of me!

Not that I would've raced him anyway..........had enough of that at the track........
I know what you mean. Coming home from the track, at 2AM, I was in ricer-hell. My number was 575. At the gas station, a kid pulled in and asked if I was the Mustang who did 190MPH.

"I'm flattered, but no." And I think the fastest Mustang that night was 119, not 190.

#29 ·
The attention is worse when I'm driving my '01 Vette...and some of them are Mustang owners!:hihi:

#30 ·
I know I already posted my response to this thread but I have to say it again since it seems like everyone is kinda in the same boat but me. I can't imagine what these people think when they flip you off when you've done nothing wrong and they don't even know you. No one has ever done anyhthing like that to me expect try to show off in front of me in their pos. I get accords, preludes, and theres this one kid that keeps trying to race me in traffic in an SHO Taurus. I race people, but not idiots that are noticably risky drivers. If I were you guys I'd follow the next guy who flips you off and give him something to be mad about. I could never let someone flip me off for no reason and let them off like I never saw it. Thats just me but thats complete disrespect. I'll post when I get my first flip off, but I usually get thumbs up, and "nice car" comments.

#36 ·
Greg, the only weakness is that I'm paranoid about parking it anywhere...hence the Vette becomes more of a "garage queen/dust collector." I average about 2,500 miles on her a year and it's put on by driving her about 2-3 times a week for about 20 minutes (to ensure the fluids get up to temp and the battery stays charged) and then back into the garage...I enjoy the Stang a lot more because I don't worry as much about it and it's more of a daily driver. I do keep the Stang looking just as nice (detailed every day with Eagle One's Wipe and Shine).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.