Worried about bringing my 2007 Mustang GT in for warranty work - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FuzzyDice
Well whether or not you guys think it's dishonest or not, the fact remains that if you were to return your car to the stock configuration in order to get warranty service you are not eligible for, it's not just dishonest it's actually breaking the law....it would be fraud. Saying a dealer is looking to screw you would not hold up as a defense.

As for getting an attorney if Ford denies warranty service when they should not have. You don't need one. If Ford does not have ABSOLUTE PROOF that the modification caused the failure in the original part, then you simply bring it to the attention of the Attorney General's office in your state and a Consumer group as well. They would do the work to insure that Ford is not trying to pull a fast one, not you paying your own private attorney for that. The law is pretty specific....they cannot unilaterally void a factory warranty unless they can PROVE that a modification caused the failure of the original product.

This is no different than lying to an insurance company to get a better rate....also a bad idea because if they find out about it, that's also fraud.

You guys can do what you want.....but I'll be playing it safe.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyDice View Post
This is what I would do. Maybe I'm too honest but when I put in modifications my dealership is going to know about them. I think if you get into the habit of trying to pull the wool over someone's eyes, it's going to come back to haunt you.

I trust my dealership.. ..and maybe I am naive. :hihi: But I truly believe that if I am up front with them and get to know them well, they are not going to deny any warranty work unless it's POSITIVE that the modification was the direct cause of the failure. I have "multi-risk" coverage on my GEICO policy, which is basically an extended warranty out to 7 years/100,000 miles. I called and asked them about modifications. They told me the same thing, that unless it's proven that the modification caused the other problem POSITIVELY, they would cover the original part under my coverage. They will even cover the price and installation of my modifications if I let them know what they are and keep all the receipts. Right now they know I have an aftermarket shifter and a light bar. They are now noted on my policy and are covered in the event, God forbid, my car gets totaled. And my premium didn't even go up, though it may go up very slightly in the future when I add more mods.

Bottom line....I always think honesty is the best policy.
Honesty is the best policy, providing you are both on the same page.

Dealers / service mgrs will not risk their job for you or any one. Bottom line is, if they cover / fix and ford rejects, they do not get reimbursed. Believe me I went thru it with a stupid brake disc. They said because i painted my calipers I must of did something and they wanted 300.00. I told them to go "truck" themselves (BWT that is after I purchased 3 new veh's in 18 month period). All it was, was that lugs needed to be tightened as stated by a young tech. And would you believe the young tech was reamed by the service mgrs, manager for removing and retightening the wheels? I told him who reamed you out, coz I will go and ream him a new one. Bastards still did not fix the interminate bump in the wheel that has 20, yes "20" weights on it from the factory.

So next month when on vac, I will bring it back and ream them another a-hole. I now use another dealer 2 miles away for my maint, but the dlr where i bought the 3 cars from 30 miles away.

Yep it is good to inform your insurance on the mods. A LB and shifer is hardly a mod, a performance mod that is. But I doubt the extended policy would cover performance mods, maybe cost in the event of loss, but not damage, because they would go by the ford reps decision. So be careful there. I believe you know that game.

Future policy $, it will go up if you tell them you added HP and running 450HP.

Prime example is the fellow who (believe my05GT) with the aftermarket drive shaft, what is this like 6 months and still no resolution. By the way that is going, he will be a great grandfather.

To few to mention, actually to lazy to
01 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Silver (His Daily)
05 Mustang V6 Coupe, 5 sp - Redfire (Her Toy)
06 Pontiac Solstice Vert 5 sp - White His Roadster
07 Mustang GT Vert, 5 sp - Redfire His Toy
09 Hyundai Santa Fe - White Metallic (Her Daily)
11 Chevy Silverado 5.3L ExtCab-Light Gray (His)
S197 Member

Quote:
Well whether or not you guys think it's dishonest or not, the fact remains that if you were to return your car to the stock configuration in order to get warranty service you are not eligible for, it's not just dishonest it's actually breaking the law....it would be fraud. Saying a dealer is looking to screw you would not hold up as a defense.

As for getting an attorney if Ford denies warranty service when they should not have. You don't need one. If Ford does not have ABSOLUTE PROOF that the modification caused the failure in the original part, then you simply bring it to the attention of the Attorney General's office in your state and a Consumer group as well. They would do the work to insure that Ford is not trying to pull a fast one, not you paying your own private attorney for that. The law is pretty specific....they cannot unilaterally void a factory warranty unless they can PROVE that a modification caused the failure of the original product.

This is no different than lying to an insurance company to get a better rate....also a bad idea because if they find out about it, that's also fraud.

You guys can do what you want.....but I'll be playing it safe.

Why in the wide world of sports would he not be entitled to warranty work? By your own statement they would have to "prove" the mods caused the failure. Why would ANYONE want to go through the process you describe above? There is NO way returning it to stock is fraud...that is, with all due respect, ludicrous. I can tell you this much, If I ever have an engine issue you can be SURE it goes back to OEM before it goes to Ford! I'm not tryin to lawyer up because of a CAI and tune! Again this is said with all due respect...no offence is implied or intended.

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoNomyk View Post
Why in the wide world of sports would he not be entitled to warranty work? By your own statement they would have to "prove" the mods caused the failure. Why would ANYONE want to go through the process you describe above? There is NO way returning it to stock is fraud...that is, with all due respect, ludicrous. I can tell you this much, If I ever have an engine issue you can be SURE it goes back to OEM before it goes to Ford! I'm not tryin to lawyer up because of a CAI and tune! Again this is said with all due respect...no offence is implied or intended.
Also...with all due respect.....if you add a modification that caused an original part to fail, then brought the car in with the modification removed and told them that the part failed under warranty with the car in stock condition....you are trying to get warranty coverage under false pretenses. That my friend, is called fraud. Call any attorney and ask them. And if Ford discovered that you did that, you would be subject to some very hefty fines and penalites.

2007 GT convertible - black 5 speed MT: charcoal aluminum panel, black/dove int, anti-theft, cloth top, GT appearance pkg, MODS - MGW shifter, CDC Conv Light Bar, Pony 12V plug, Shelby Hood Pins, Steeda Strut Tower Brace, Steeda Strut Tower Covers, FRPP GTA's, CDC Classic chin spoiler, GT500 spoiler, Agent47 Mirrors, 18" Chrome DD bullitt rims/Continental tires, C&L CAI, Infinity speakers, RoadWire 2-tone leather interior, 4.6 badges, Dyno Tune-Mongillo Motors-New Haven-CT-301 rwhp/297 rwt
S197 Member

Quote:
Also...with all due respect.....if you add a modification that caused an original part to fail, then brought the car in with the modification removed and told them that the part failed under warranty with the car in stock condition....you are trying to get warranty coverage under false pretenses. That my friend, is called fraud. Call any attorney and ask them. And if Ford discovered that you did that, you would be subject to some very hefty fines and penalites.
Let's agree to disagree...the man has an engine rattle, I'd be really interested to hear the results of his taking it to a dealer with those mods on his car. BTW My original point was to return to stock so that if Ford reflashed his PCM it wouldn't screw up his tunes if they changed calibration codes...remember?
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakeMyStang View Post
But I doubt the extended policy would cover performance mods, maybe cost in the event of loss, but not damage, because they would go by the ford reps decision. So be careful there. I believe you know that game.
I've already called GEICO on this. I don't have to bring it to a Ford mechanic to get that question answered. GEICO told me I can bring my car to my own mechanic and if they are satisfied that he checked the car out and determined that the modification was not or most likely not the cause of the original part to fail....then they would cover the repair to the original part minus my deductable. So I feel that I am at least protected if a huge repair was needed.

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I've already called GEICO on this. I don't have to bring it to a Ford mechanic to get that question answered. GEICO told me I can bring my car to my own mechanic and if they are satisfied that he checked the car out and determined that the modification was not or most likely not the cause of the original part to fail....then they would cover the repair to the original part minus my deductable. So I feel that I am at least protected if a huge repair was needed.
Fuzzy, i do not doubt what they told you, and not saying it is untrue.

If that is the case, then that is a good thing for you.

It's just that there is always small print in these policies and addendums,

and then...................
if this then that otherwise ..do this upon, but not until, this varying from 1 by x until the customer is tired and broke and is in a loop.

BTW, better insure your fuzzydice, my gf wants to get a set like that and cannot find them so better insure them before they are gone

GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Fuzzy, i do not doubt what they told you, and not saying it is untrue.

If that is the case, then that is a good thing for you.

It's just that there is always small print in these policies and addendums,

and then...................

if this then that otherwise, ..do this upon, but not until, this varying from 1 by x until, the customer is tired and broke and is in a loop.

BTW, better insure your fuzzydice, my gf wants to get a set like that and cannot find them so better insure them before they are gone

(actually she has something similiar, but she is looking for red, told her to put o her dream catcher that she had in her prior car.)

GT Member
S197 Member

Sorry for the DUP post, do not know how that happened, must of been in the if... then.... else.... logic

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page