Ford Mustang Forum banner

red convertible boot for my 05?

3K views 28 replies 6 participants last post by  WindStang 
#1 ·
Here's a topic for which I can't seem to find any info- a convertible boot or tonneau cover for my 05 Mustang.
It's black with the crimson red interior, and I thought a red boot would pay proper homage to the early classic Mustang convertibles. I found one at Champion Mustang for $350, and am considering the idea seriously. But it's $350; is it something that will look a bit too "much" (meaning butt-ugly) on the car, and I have no way to return it?
Does anyone have a boot that's not the OEM fabric fold-up deal?
Insights appreciated!

#2 ·
Aww c'mon, 108 views so far, and no one has seen an aftermarket boot on an s197 convertible? The folks at Champion say it can take 2-4 weeks for manufacturing, so I'll be getting it as late as August. Good for the Autumn driving season, I guess. I'd love to get some feedback on this if I can

#3 ·
I've only got my stock boot. Haven't even put it on since I bought the car last month. Too much rain.
All I can say about yours is that a red boot would certainly look great on a black car and it would be reminiscent of the '60s cars. You should go for it.

Reactions: Edmund K
#4 ·
Thank you for the vote of confidence, Greg! I found a pic of a '66 and a '65, and it is certainly a striking look! The concern is a good one that you mentioned; will it be more of a pain to keep taking it off and on for fear of rain? Just re read that and realized I made a rhyme. Yikes. Any way, it seems like a cool idea if I should ever enter it in a car show or a cruise-in

Attachments

#6 ·
IMO, I think it would look great with your interior and on a black car! If nothing else it will certainly stand out. I've been around countless Mustangs for many years and have never seen one. Let us know what you decide and post a pic if you can!

#7 ·
Edmund. I saw the pic you posted in the spark plug thread. Yeah, you really should get the red boot. It would really brighten up the rear section of your car.

#8 ·
Thanks guys, for the votes of confidence! I do think I'll take the plunge and order one; heck, maybe it'll be a new retro trend! I'll have 2-4 weeks to wait after ordering, so I'll keep you all updated when I get any news worth your time to read! :thankyou

#10 ·
I've considered a boot too - but like you I thought about the PITA factor. But yours would match the red interior so would look sweet. My interior is camel as is the top so not much difference so probably not really noticeable (or worth it). I put the top up at malls and generally when parked anywhere except in the garage - but a boot would look really nice especially on yours. Pic's when you get it please.

#11 ·
The order was placed last week with Champion Mustang;
Gary Disney from Champion Mustang contacted me to make sure he had the right details, and now there should only be another week or two until the moment of truth!
...Tick-tock, tick-tock! I'll just take one of these: :chillpill:

#12 ·
Update: Champion Mustang has notified me that I'll be getting my red boot TOMORROW!! Shipping via Fed Ex, and they tend to come through our neighborhood before lunch time.
Boy, I hope this isn't a $350 bust! Fingers crossed

#15 ·
I guarantee you that as long as there are no production flaws, fitment problems or color matching errors it will look wonderful. Seriously.

#16 ·
Hahaha.....Christmas Eve as a kid. What I wouldn't give to experience that again!

Standingwave is right though....barring some kind of highly unlikely production error, you're going to be very happy with it. I'll have to check later to see if we've gotten any pictures yet!

#17 ·
The wait is over! Here it is for your approval.
I am extremely pleased with how well the red boot blends with the original upholstery!
Just a few wrinkles in it, but heck, I just grabbed it out of the box and THREW it on! Nice piping at the edges, and the grain matches the seats!
Thanks to Champion Mustang and Gary Disney for great customer service and a one of a kind retro look!
Convertible Top Boot : Shelby Performance Parts Discounted by Champion Mustang, Shelby Parts, Shelby GT500 Parts, Shelby Super Snake, Shelby Apparel, Shelby GT500 Shirts, Shelby GT500 Hats, Shelby Die Cast Models, Shelby Super Snake Hats, Shelby Supe
archer.gif

Attachments

Reactions: Blue_Streak
#21 ·
Looks really good! The red boot was the right choice for your car. Love the total look of your car.

My 08 GT is the opposite: Torch Red exterior, and black interior. I find the boot a PITA, so rarely use it, but it's nice to have.

Enjoy yours!

#24 ·
Many thanks, Standingwave, and all who have affirmed that it was a good choice to add this mod to the car!
I really appreciate the feedback and hope to be of similar help to you when its needed! thumbsup3.gif

#25 ·
Took me a few days to make it back to the forum...work got crazy!

Glad to see it came in! That is one beautiful boot! I knew it would look great. Now for the fun part.....putting the top down even more often to show it off around town! Congrats! :grin:

#28 ·
Thank you, Blue Streak! I have had the top down on it ever since the boot was installed, and have only taken it off for the first time a couple of days ago. Now it looks funny to me with the black top up!:grin: Luckily, the boot is easy to deal with (install and removal wise).
Wondering out loud, is there any consequence to having the vinyl top folded down for extended periods of time (say, months at a time?)

Reactions: Blue_Streak
#27 ·
Thanks, Windstang; no, the boot is very easy to handle. The tail piece that tucks into the convertible well is probably the only thing I had to "fuss" with, as the material is thicker than the factory boot, and I wanted to be sure it wasn't pinched looking across the back.
I just took it off for the first time two days ago, and it was very easy to pull off, fold up, and place in the trunk.
It might have taken 30 seconds?
It's a fun retro touch that was, to me, definitely worth the purchase!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.