S197 Mustang Oil Separator Install w/ pics - Page 6 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
GT Member
S197 Member

hmmm.... I will play around with it and see what I can come up with

2006 Vista Blue Mustang GT:
Mods: ||EdelBrock E-Force Stage 1// Brenspeed 93 Dyno Tune// Pypes LT headers, O/R H-pipe// GT500 Fuel System// Borla Stingers// MGW Shifter// Hawk HPS// Powerslot Rotors// CHE: UCA / LCA/ Anti-Squats/ K-member/ Panhard Brace// Nitto NT555's (daily)// Infinity Sound// CDC Chin// MT ET Streets (track)||
www .GutterMindedConcepts.com
447rwhp 419ft-lbs - Stage Zero
* 466 rwhp 441ft-lbs - Stage 1 *
Brenspeed Supporter!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Apprentice
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgard07 View Post
I don't know where you are getting your info from in regards to "race engines". I can tell you from experience, nearly all race engines that are built where I work (about 300 per year) are running some type of crankcase evacuation system except where rules prohibit this. The vacuum is either provided by the drysump pump, or by the addition of a vacuum pump on wet sump applications. Most blown race engines are simply vented to the outside (blown fuel and blown alcohol). The problem with venting the 4.6 engine, is that there isn't enough area in the tiny pvc connection on the valve cover to provide adequate ventilation of the crankcase without the aid of some vacuum. Most modern OEM engines are designed to operate with some form of pcv system due to the smaller ring package many OEM's are currently using. The piston rings cannot properly control the oil on the cylinder walls without a reduction in crankcase pressure. As an extreme example, in the Nascar stuff we build, we typically run only about 2 1/2 lbs. of ring tension. Without the 20 in. of vacuum provided by the drysump pump, the rings would never seal.

This is a good reply that is leading to the hart of my concern about modifying the PCV system. Thank you for your reply it sounds qualified.

First, in venting to atmosphere the intent is to open up all three ports in order to provide the necessary volume, oil filler left and right valve cover ports. My concern, with this is will it provide enough volume?

Second, with the current system, will adding an oil separator like Stefs or Moroso because of there construction cause more restriction? From what I have seen of this type of separator they consist of a stand pipe in the center of the can and some type of filter material around the perimeter that provides a large surface area to collect oil as the vapor passes by. Also, I see a lot of people going out and buying air/oil separators designed for air compressors that operate at 125 PSI or more. Do these types of separators actually work in this application or are they installing something that provides more restriction inhibiting what the system is for. The current PCV system is designed to flow at a certain rate will adding components cause that rate to decrease?

I see that those who have installed these systems do in fact have oil collect in them but at differing rates. Are some inducing back pressure causing more oil to flow through the PCV lines? Causing too much pressure in the crankcase is worse than letting the oil burn the combustion chamber.

Bottom line this discussion is about the elimination of oil entering the intake. It seems to me that venting to atmosphere is the easiest and safest way. Now I know someone is going to point out that Steeda sells an oil separator system but they canít bypass smog laws for street applications.

2005 GT Red
Tokico D-Spec
BMR Fabrication Tubular Adjustable Panhard Bar
BMR Fabrication Upper Panhard Bar Support
Eibach Pro-Kit Lowering Springs
GT Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang68/05 View Post
This is a good reply that is leading to the hart of my concern about modifying the PCV system. Thank you for your reply it sounds qualified.

First, in venting to atmosphere the intent is to open up all three ports in order to provide the necessary volume, oil filler left and right valve cover ports. My concern, with this is will it provide enough volume?

Second, with the current system, will adding an oil separator like Stefs or Moroso because of there construction cause more restriction? From what I have seen of this type of separator they consist of a stand pipe in the center of the can and some type of filter material around the perimeter that provides a large surface area to collect oil as the vapor passes by. Also, I see a lot of people going out and buying air/oil separators designed for air compressors that operate at 125 PSI or more. Do these types of separators actually work in this application or are they installing something that provides more restriction inhibiting what the system is for. The current PCV system is designed to flow at a certain rate will adding components cause that rate to decrease?

I see that those who have installed these systems do in fact have oil collect in them but at differing rates. Are some inducing back pressure causing more oil to flow through the PCV lines? Causing too much pressure in the crankcase is worse than letting the oil burn the combustion chamber.

Bottom line this discussion is about the elimination of oil entering the intake. It seems to me that venting to atmosphere is the easiest and safest way. Now I know someone is going to point out that Steeda sells an oil separator system but they canít bypass smog laws for street applications.
From my experience with the small industrial filters, they do collect some of the oil passing through them, but I don't think the small filters in them have enough area to do an adequate job. As I stated in an earlier post, after running one on mine, I still had alot of oil in the hose between the filter and the intake.It's my belief that a larger unit such as the Stef's, would provide much more volume and do a much better job of collecting the oil. This becomes even more of an issue with a supercharged street engine as you are adding more crankcase pressure to the system. I strongly believe that a vacuum operated system will always perform better due to relieving crankcase pressure applied to the piston rings on any engine.

07 GT premium in Grabber Orange. 5spd. manual w/ a few bolt-ons.

Apprentice

Has anyone ever considered trying to build an oil separator using a remote oil filter setup?

2009 Shelby GT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page