Boot for convertible? Standard or an option? - Page 2 - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
mine didn't come with a boot. And i am glad, i'd rather keep the 160 and spend it on something else i would use more often.

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FYouGitive View Post
I like the Ford product boot cover, except it doesn't compare to real tonneau covers* for ease of use. Ingenious, cheap fasteners, but effective. If my wife weren't allergic to the sun, I'd never take it off and put the top up. $80 shipped, off eBay.

*I've had a bunch of convertibles and liked best the ones that had tonneau covers that zipped down the middle, so you could use the driver half of the cockpit and leave the other half covered.

I've forgotten which after market company makes a hard cover not just for the top (boot), but one that reaches all the way to the back of the front seats. I'd like to see one in the flesh. It might be worth the five or six hundred dollars they want for it.

My go-to cover is a "California Pop Top" off eBay: it has pockets that accept the side mirrors and an elastic band that goes around the back in three or four different ways. Held down in front by flaps under the wipers, it's never blown off, and is usually on the car - top up or down, in the garage or outside - when it's not being driven. Keeps the sun off (cool interior) and the dew off (dry interior) and the dust off (clear vision front and rear). Seems as if it's made of Tyvek™, and it folds into its own pocket for storage.
My MGB has one of those tonneau covers that zip down the middle, hence covering up one side of the car.

Both Saleen and RKSports make a hard tonneau cover for the Mustang that actually covers up the rear seats and convertible top. Saleen sells theirs for around $950....RKSports sells theirs for around $480. I saw one the other day in a mag, not sure who it was made by, but it was around $500.

Since I actually use my back seat for my 6 year old....the one from 3D Carbon was perfect.

SHELBY GT 500 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHorse1 View Post
Yup, it's an option. Mine stays in the trunk (unless I need the space, then it goes into the garage). I've had it on maybe 3 times. Just too easy to drop the top and drive off, when I get where I'm going - up goes the top. Looks nice when it's on but like I said, just too easy to drive off.
That hard cover looks really fine. Does it fit in the trunk?
Of course the hard cover does NOT fit in the trunk....hence one of the draw backs is if you are caught in an unexpected rain (would never happen to me, but...). Nor does it fit well in the car with the top up.

Last edited by mrvandermey; 10-28-2007 at 10:25 PM.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-27-2007 Thread Starter
Rookie
V6 Member
S197 Member

Thanks!

Thanks for all of the informative responses guys! Helped me to come to a decision: I'm not going to spend the $$ on it, even if I can get it on eBay for nearly half-price.....
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelers View Post
Your either showing your age or you've seen some TV on old cars. :hihi:
A little of both. I also have a '65 convertible. Manual steering, manual brakes, manual top, manual windows, manual locks, manual transmission, manual seats and no AC. The only things I honestly miss are the AC and power brakes. I could do without everything else. In my '07 I also wish you could opt for the window vents but I know that will never happen. Think of all the weight you could pull out of these cars without all that cr*p....

2007 GT, 5 speed, Paxton 2200
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page