Need Help with rims/tires - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-24-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

Need Help with rims/tires

so i have an 08 V6. currently i have 20's on it but a few weeks ago a nasty pot hole trashed one of the rims. 2 local shops refused to fix it saying its too far gone and they didnt feel confident in a fix being road safe, a 3rd shop said they would fix it but the repair cost + a new tire would bring it to like $500+.

after further inspection of the rest of the rims i noticed other small dings and damage that make me just want to buy all new, except the car is a daily driver now(it wasnt when i bought 20's) and i want to change to 18's so every pot hole doesnt make my heart skip a beat.

probably going to get these

Black Saleen Style MustangWheel - 18x9 (05-14 GT, V6) - Free Shipping

or these

http://www.americanmuscle.com/black-...18x9-0512.html

im not buying the entire wheel and tire kit from AM because their tier options wont work for a daily driver on the east coast who will be driving all winter long minus snow days so just the rims and TPMS +sync tool. going to get tires locally, something all season i guess.

my car is lowered 2" so what i'd like to know i with 18x9 rims and a 2" drop what size tires should i be looking into for proper fitment, fill the wheel well good and no rubbing? i believe AM uses 255/45/18 on their wheel and tire kits, but google searches to other random forums had people saying 255 was too small to look good

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
IMHO 255's would look fine with the set up you curenty have. and if I were going to pick a wheel I'd choose #1

Also with my wheels I bought the TPMS from AM along with the tool (never used it) the tire shop I used sold me new bands for the front two and used my OEM sensor the instaled the ones from AM and calibrated the rear for me I think the tire shop charged me $50.00 total

Hope this helps

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015
Apprentice

Go on eBay I got a complete set from Roush for half off. Check them Shelby and a store called aftermarket pros. I've seen entire 18/20 inch sets sell for 600-800 each rims and tires

FRRP cams,FRRP intake manifold,FRRP 4.10 gears, FRRP CNC ported heads,FRRP CAI, FRRP throttle body, FRRP shifter,paperformance alternator, Steada under drive pulley. FRRP exhaust.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-25-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomashogan640 View Post
Go on eBay I got a complete set from Roush for half off. Check them Shelby and a store called aftermarket pros. I've seen entire 18/20 inch sets sell for 600-800 each rims and tires
FYI aftermarket pros is american muscles ebay open box / returned item store.... as you discovered they have some pretty great deals sometimes.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-26-2015 Thread Starter
Rookie

thanks for the info everyone. im ordering the ones in the first link today and talked to a local shop about getting 255/45/18's installed. i dont have any of the tool needed to mount/balance tires myself so im having them get my tires and do all that, $200 per wheel which includes the tire/mounting/balancing/installing TPMS and syncing(told me not to buy the tool, they could do it themselves without it, so saves me like $45) on goodyear F1 all season tires
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-27-2015
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Great glad you got it all sorted out

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page