New to S197s but old to stangs - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

New to S197s but old to stangs

Just dropping in to say high and throw my plans out there.

2006 GT 5 speed, flowmaster outlaw axle backs.

Gearing up for mods..... Airiad race cai, bama 93 tunes, streeda underdrives, looks long tubes, kooks off-road x pipe, 4.10s with carbon clutch packs, powerstop warrior brake set, jlt oil seperator, Hurst comp shifter, 18x9 DD bullits wrapped in 255/45 Mickey Thompson Street comps, full bmr rear suspension parts, strange 10 ways on all 4, cobra jet drag springs, subframes, alum driveshaft, lightweight flywheel, mach 500 clutch, frpp cams, frpp intake, possibility of a procharger....

Should be a fun weekend warrior daily driver car.

Thought? Criticism? Suggestions?

1988 T-Topped GT 5 speed
3.73 gears w/ 03-04 cobra track-lok clutch kit
MAF Conversion etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015
Apprentice

Garage
Everything looks great man, would be a pretty sick ride once its all set and done.I would think the Exhaust would be crazy Loud with that setup

2007 Mustang GT Interior Upgrade Package

BBK CAI, Bama Tune, 4.10 Gears, BBK Shorty Headers, JBA O/R X-Pipe, 3.5" axle back (similar to loudmouths)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilog55 View Post
Should be a fun weekend warrior daily driver car.

Thought? Criticism? Suggestions?
Looks like you shopped Amercian Muscle's site pretty heavily. They have a lot of cool stuff. Might also want to check out Brenspeed's site Mustang Performance Parts & Upgrades by Brenspeed and Team Beefcake Racing Buy Mustang Performance Parts | FREE Shipping | Team Beefcake Racing

Both of the last two sell great mods for 1/4 mile racing. I like Brenspeed's service best. They have their own grind for camshaft - the Detroit Rockers. While I like Ford Racing, have to admit I think the Detroit Rockers are slightly better. Both they and Beefcake like the JLT cold air intake and that is what I went with - better price than Airaid, which helps fund other mods, plus Brenspeed's tune and CAI combo was a great combo for the $$$ and what it has done for my car.

From what I have heard, Hawk pads are the best. Would suggest those over Powerstop. FWIW.

BMR makes good products. I am leaning toward J&M and Steeda over those as they seem to be best for curves and still just as good on straight lines. But Rear Lower Control Arms and adjustable Panhard Bar would be money well spent. If you do springs, I would suggest Steeda or Vogtland.

Steeda underdrive pulleys are the best. You can get those on eBay from Steeda with paint scuffs for 179.95 and save a few coins. Steeda Mustang Underdrive Pulleys 2005 10 GT 701 0005A | eBay

Didn't see axleback exhaust on your list, might consider that along with the headers and midpipe.

Won't need subframe connectors unless you grow this thing to some serious horsepower.

Aluminum drive shaft is on my list too and my buddy added and loves the difference.

If you are planning to super or turbo charge, make that choice before you go too far and spend on things you will replace. Make a plan and stick to it.

Welcome to the S197 platform! Hope you enjoy your ride as much as many of us do.

DT

2010 GT Premium / Automatic / RapidSpec 401A Leather Interior / MMD Decklid Panel / MMD Classic Quarter Window Louvers / MMD Black Tail Light Trim / GT500 Splash Guards / GT Valve Caps / FRPP GT500 Brake Cooling Shields / FRPP-SVT GT500 Cooling Fan / Steeda LCAs / Whiteline Front Sway, RTR Rear / Whiteline Adj Panhard / Redline Hood Struts / JLT Oil Separator / JLT Series 3 Cold Air Intake / Pypes O/R X-pipe / Pypes Violators Axelbacks / Steeda UDP / Steeda CMDPlugs / Brenspeed Tune

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

It's plenty loud now Lol just trying to squeeze out the HP/TQ numbers as much as I can

1988 T-Topped GT 5 speed
MAF Conversion etc
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Between AM and summit yes Lol but with AM I get free next day shipping since they're 2hrs or so away Lol.

I like the jm stuff but I really like the extreme rear sway bar from bmr. The majority of the shopping list is on its way already minus suspension and exhaust. I already have the flowmaster outlaw axke backs installed and broken in.

1988 T-Topped GT 5 speed
MAF Conversion etc
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015
GT Member

I'd advise a Barton or MGW shifter over the Hurst. Everyone I know who has ran a Hurst short throw on an S197 has had NVH problems and gear lockouts due to it being a semi remote linkage. I have a Barton and it's completely revolutionized the car.

For the cash you're looking at dropping, I'd probably go with a Department of Boost kit for power over the long tubes, cams, CAI, intake manifold, driveshaft, and pulleys. You'll be looking at 450 rwhp for the same or less cost as the 340-350 rwhp (with less low end) for about the same cost.

Current:
2007 Mustang GT 5-speed 3.31 gears, Hidden Hitch Receiver, Barton Short Throw, JBA LTs, Borla Touring Axle Back, and Lito tuned SCT X4. BMR SP009, KYB Shocks & Struts, J&M CC plates, J&M LCAs. 4 Piston Brembos
255/45ZR18 front 295/40ZR18 rear
Department of Boost GT450 with 2011 GT500 M122, TB, & CAI | 13/14 GT500 HE & IWP | GT500 dual pumps | FRPP 52lb | CMS Stage 2 Blower Cams | Comp Springs & Retainers | AEM boost & wideband | 8 rib conversion | Track Spec GT500 Vents
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015
GT Member

Hate to say it but I'd also advise against the Hurst. I had the billet plus for 3 years. Great looking shifter but it had a tendency to rattle, the bottom dust boot completely fell apart after less than 2 years and the whole assembly was very sloppy by the time I took it out. But, it did have a good feel to it. Unfortunately they're made in China so the quality just isn't there.

Replaced it with the Tri-Ax (with a Hurst handle, I love that chrome stick) which I like but the springs are way too stiff when going over to fifth or reverse.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

If I go boosted I'm leaning towards the procharger high output, I like plug and play over having to modify or throw away parts. Granted my cai will get tossed if I go that route but its resale is there unlike stock parts.

Noise doesn't bother me, coming from fox bodies to this platform they're too quiet for me. Idk I'm just weird maybe.

Like I said most of the parts list is already ordered or delivered minus the major install ite s like cams headers and suspension. Worst case I'll take a loss on the shifter and opt for another.

1988 T-Topped GT 5 speed
MAF Conversion etc
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
My only caveat...
Would be skip the FRPP Intake unless you are 100% on that procharger.

The low-mid losses are bad.
Looks damn good though.
CDMPs do about the same on an NA(CNC/ PP Headed) car.
Maybe a bit less up top, but you salvage much more on the low-mid.

Past that, it looks solid.
Just get to those damned plugs if you haven't already.

1993 Mustang GT
UDPs, Smog/AC Delete, O/R H, Dumped Straight Pipes, 155lph Fuel Pump, Factory "CAI"

Mostly Restoration
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastStang14 View Post
My only caveat...
Would be skip the FRPP Intake unless you are 100% on that procharger.

The low-mid losses are bad.
Looks damn good though.
CDMPs do about the same on an NA(CNC/ PP Headed) car.
Maybe a bit less up top, but you salvage much more on the low-mid.

Past that, it looks solid.
Just get to those damned plugs if you haven't already.

Yeah I haven't had a chance to put new plugs in yet I'm not sure when/if they've been changed I'm at 105k...

I'm not sure if I'd even gain enough to warrant the cost of the intake with the charger.

1988 T-Topped GT 5 speed
MAF Conversion etc
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've read they give good gains with a blower, just without headwork, it's pricey for what you get.

I would love to get one, but for me it doesn't warrant the cost vs the low loss.
So I went with plates.

But a fully built NA build, I would be all over it.

But I can't help but wonder with cams and full exhaust if it would be better.
But my google searches are not yielding much

1993 Mustang GT
UDPs, Smog/AC Delete, O/R H, Dumped Straight Pipes, 155lph Fuel Pump, Factory "CAI"

Mostly Restoration
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Yeah all I can find is boss 302 intake builds seems our 4.6 builds are disappearing.

1988 T-Topped GT 5 speed
MAF Conversion etc
PONY Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Yeah, well I know there is a spreadsheet for the intake with 7 dynos...no idea if they retuned...
but from what I keep seeing/hearing, it's all for 6500+

Good gains with a blower. But unless you rev it to the moon, mostly there for looks.

I keep reading the reviews on AM...and have to wonder. Everyone swears it's so much better throughout the whole rpm band.
Yet I see dyno graphs showing losses below 4500.

Meh. Get delete plates, cheaper and good for around 8 or so.

The extra money, get an EWP, better cooling, and free power, so for the money spent on the intake, you should still come up around 20...ish? From the plates, ewp, udp.

Well if you don't blow it.
I plan on wringing every bit I can.
Even if that means manual swapping.
That's a good 15+ boost alone

I had a build thread, got a few hits haha
Seems the actual build lists for our motors are either just being kept on the DL, or just not being worried about.
But I am glad to see one, and I'll help in any way.

1993 Mustang GT

Mostly Restoration
GT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilog55 View Post
Like I said most of the parts list is already ordered or delivered minus the major install ite s like cams headers and suspension. Worst case I'll take a loss on the shifter and opt for another.

Like I said, I actually really liked my Hurst but by the third year I had it (with only about 30K actual miles on the shifter) it was getting sloppy, and apparently you can't get repair parts for them, at least I couldn't find any.

BTW- you guys are talking about gains with the Ford Racing manifold, I posted this in another thread awhile back:

Three-Valve Intake Manifold Dyno Test - Three's A Crowd - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Pretty much just what you're talking about, it's an n/a car with heads and cams, and the intakes were worth 10-15 hp or less and all the gains were way up high. Apparently the factory intake is just that good. I wouldn't spend money on an intake even for an all-out n/a build, you could spend that chunk of money elsewhere for better gains.

'05 Mustang GT Premium
CMS Stage 1 cams, C&L Racer, Lito tune, Jeg's oil sep, CMDP, SR UDP's, JBA stainless LT's & catted H, Magnaflow resonators, MBRP axle back, BMR springs, Koni STR.T, BMR LCA's & backets, J&M upper & mount, J&M Al panhard, DIY panhard brace, Steeda Tri-Ax, smoked corners, Raxiom Vector tails, Brembos, S550 GT Premium wheels, 2010+ door panels
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015 Thread Starter
GT Member
5.0L Member

Thanks, I'll give it a read. That money could go towards N02 or tires lol

1988 T-Topped GT 5 speed
MAF Conversion etc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page