S197 Mustang GT... Disappointing dyno results - Ford Mustang Forum
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

S197 Mustang GT... Disappointing dyno results

Yesterday me and 3 friends went out to the dyno for the beginning of the day, a fox body stang, a 98 cobra S/C, my 06 GT and a RX-7. the RX-7 pulled 310 rwhp, the cobra pulled 333 rwhp, the fox body wont be mentioned to save its dignity. and my 06 pulled max 267.33 rwhp and 264.65 torque... just for reference it was 44F with 16% humidity. the dyno was the kinetic dyno with sae smoothing. the day was a bit depressing considering the fact that i read many 2005+ gt's dyno'd around 265 rwhp stock. but my car is not stock, im running a c&l cai, pypes off road H-pipe, bassani catback system, and a sctx3 tuner with 93 octaine tune. i found through out the day, my first run was the strongest, and leanest. i tried to continue to lean it out and the power increased every time i leaned it out more running 6% lean. the day was good but was semi depressing pulls left me wondering, is that good numbers for the new mustangs? did my mods do anything at all? and what can i do to fix this lack in power. on the plus side though, my power curve WAS relatively flat. all in all i forgot about the numbers as me and my friends tore up the roads on the way back home with of course the 310hp & 2700lb RX-7 like to leave us in his exhaust...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Sorry to hear your disappointed, but it sounds like you'r using the tune that came with you X3. If so then you might want to get a custome tune to what mods you have done on the car. You need to watch leaning out your car, because you are only leaning out WOT. That is all you have access to. I have a custom tune by Tillman Speed for what I have modded. As soon as they get the little glitches with the new building streightend out I'm hoping Mon or Tues getting it dynoed.
The current tune by CR at Tillman was a big increase in power and driveability. Once I get it on the dyno it will get a custome dyno tune to get the best all around performance.
CR does custome tunes, you can give him a call and talk with him.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
I agree... Get yourself a dyno tune or at least a custom tune and you'll improve considerably. You are right though, those numbers are what you should be at stock. However, I have seen S197 GTs dyno as low as the mid 230s and as high as the mid 270s stock. So there's a lot of variation.

As for that RX-7. Not surprising at all. My friend has a twin turbo that pushes out 800+ rwhp. They can be real beasts!

1965 Mustang Coupe

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007

Please dont worry about your dyno numbers, there are so many factors that influence them... not to mention each dyno machine can vary quite a bit.
As for your actual numbers, they are "ok"... for an automatic (on a mustang or an upgraded dynojet). I too was disappointed initially with 260.15 whp/261.49 tq (this with CAI/exhaust) and now only have 276.24 whp/292.15 tq (shorty headers, x-pipes, delete plates). Dont forget the automatic loses about 6% more hp than the manual, so a stock manual GT may be 260/265, an auto is typically closer to 240/245 whp stock.
My car is being built by James Klok of Boss Shinoda, so I am confident in my car's performance reguardless of any single set of dyno numbers. Your numbers are reasonable and I wish you best if you decide to do any further modifications.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcschroder View Post
Please dont worry about your dyno numbers, there are so many factors that influence them... not to mention each dyno machine can vary quite a bit.
As for your actual numbers, they are "ok"... for an automatic (on a mustang or an upgraded dynojet). I too was disappointed initially with 260.15 whp/261.49 tq (this with CAI/exhaust) and now only have 276.24 whp/292.15 tq (shorty headers, x-pipes, delete plates). Dont forget the automatic loses about 6% more hp than the manual, so a stock manual GT may be 260/265, an auto is typically closer to 240/245 whp stock.
My car is being built by James Klok of Boss Shinoda, so I am confident in my car's performance reguardless of any single set of dyno numbers. Your numbers are reasonable and I wish you best if you decide to do any further modifications.
A manual GT actually loses around 12% and an auto around 15%. You are correct on the dyno numbers-they're just numbers. A dyno is just a tool to get the best tune. People have a tendency to focus too much on the numbers. Human nature since 300 sounds a whole lot better than 299

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007
PONY Member
S197 Member

What the heck is with this RX-7? What kind of mods does he have?

'07 GT Deluxe - Alloy - IUP - Shaker 500 - 3.55 axle
Ordered: April 4, 2007
Build week: April 23
Delivered: May 5

SSS Adrenaline series mufflers, shorty antenna
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007

I am just going by what the tuners (Xtreem Motorsports) and builders (Boss Shinoda) have told me... manual GT 14/15% and auto GT 20/21%. The average difference between multiple vehicles tested was almost 6%. But you are right they are just numbers and each car can vary quite a lot. Where did you get your numbers?
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
I am just going by what the tuners (Xtreem Motorsports) and builders (Boss Shinoda) have told me... manual GT 14/15% and auto GT 20/21%. The average difference between multiple vehicles tested was almost 6%. But you are right they are just numbers and each car can vary quite a lot. Where did you get your numbers?
I've witnessed some 30 multi-pull runs and that was about the average drivetrain loss that I saw. Some higher, some lower. My bonestock GT dyno'd at 267 SAE corrected at 68* and 56% rel humidity on a DJ224X.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-25-2007 Thread Starter
4.6L Member
S197 Member

The RX-7 has an intercooled turbo and deleted the oil injection system... and some weight reducing stuff. thats really about all i know, he just pulled it out recently.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Now that I think of it... It may appear that some of these cars are losing 20-21% because the bhp varies greatly on these cars. Some are considerably lower than 300 bhp. Lowest stock pull I saw with an auto was 232 rwhp. That would be close to a 23% loss.

1965 Mustang Coupe
GT Member
S197 Member

Why do so many of the tuners set the a/f so rich? On race stuff, we're always in the low to mid 13's without any issues.

07 GT premium in Grabber Orange. 5spd. manual w/ a few bolt-ons.
Classic Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgard07 View Post
Why do so many of the tuners set the a/f so rich? On race stuff, we're always in the low to mid 13's without any issues.
Not sure, safety I guess... I've always been tuned to about 12.7:1 but I have leaned it out 2% without any detonation problems.

1965 Mustang Coupe
SHELBY GT 500 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgard07 View Post
DD have a lot of variables that racing don't. And it a safety thing also.

2011 GT Candy Red
07 REDFIRE GT Gone
MACH I Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Not sure, safety I guess... I've always been tuned to about 12.7:1 but I have leaned it out 2% without any detonation problems.
12.5 to 1 is the prime ratio. but, that is a balancing act as you are right on the edge of the A/F mixture. so, 12.7 would be on the safe side. although not far on the safe side.

2005 Mustang GT M5
-I reject your reality and substitute my own-

Yes, I've noticed that also... seems to be a very large range for the auto whp stock... more so than the manuals (why, however I havent a clue). My dyno was ran at about 95F/88 humidity (sunny florida), so I will be tuning again this winter after cams.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page