2007 Mustang GT... Ford is Replacing My Clutch!!! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

2007 Mustang GT... Ford is Replacing My Clutch!!!

Some of you may remember, but my clutch engagement was really weird. It would disengage the tranny & allow shifting when I depressed it about 1 inch.

I took it into my Ford dealer on the 2nd, they did a tear down and didn't find anything wrong. There were no score marks on the pressure plate or the clutch plate(s). My service advisor, John, spoke to a Ford rep on the issue and they authorized a new pressure plate and clutch kit!! The tech, service manager and my service rep all said the clutch engagement is MUCH better now.

I get my car back today about 6pm!!!!

2008 Mustang GT Premium 5 speed, MGW short throw shifter, 3.55 gears, black-on-black, IUP, 18in polished aluminum wheels, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, JLT II CAI w/SCT X-Cal 2. 296HP & 311TQ

1997 Mustang 3.8L AODE, CAI, Dual Exhaust, UDPs, 17" GT wheels

"Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008
Apprentice
2.3L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to l_o_t_s_r13
thats awesome news, congrats man good to hear!!!

"never interrupt your enemy while hes making a mistake" - Napolian Bonapart
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008

Did they ever figure out what was really wrong with it. Or did they just replace everything and it works now?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

They never figured it out, just replaced the entire clutch.

It's okay with me though, I didn't have to pay for it.

2008 Mustang GT Premium 5 speed, MGW short throw shifter, 3.55 gears, black-on-black, IUP, 18in polished aluminum wheels, FRPP GTA Axle Backs, JLT II CAI w/SCT X-Cal 2. 296HP & 311TQ

"Some people live their entire lifetime and wonder if they ever made a difference to the world. Marines don't have that problem." -- Ronald Reagan
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Glad it's getting done. For what it's worth, it's really not that odd to be able to disengage from gear with little or no clutch. I can easily pull mine out of gear with no clutch at all.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008
S197 Mustang Owner
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Send a message via AIM to hotshot
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Glad it's getting done. For what it's worth, it's really not that odd to be able to disengage from gear with little or no clutch. I can easily pull mine out of gear with no clutch at all.
My co-worker shifts his manual with no clutch at all. And it really surprised me the first time i saw him "actually do it". He claims his clutch is going. And i thought to myself, yea, but now how many other things are you messing up by not using the clutch

2007 Mustang GT Convertible Stage 0 E-Force #402 Supercharger, Brenspeed Tune (435/400), GT500 Fuel pump, Clutch Delete Option, Roush Front Fascia, Brembos, California Dream Hood, Qwitch latch flush mount hood pins, MRT Light Bar, J&M LCA's, BMR UCA, UPR catch can, 6000k, Pypes Bombs, Pypes X-pipe, Airbrushed Flame pieces under the hood, Clear corners, GT500 shocks , FRPP P-springs (rear), BMR Adj Panhard, E-Force engine covers
2012 Ford Focus SEL 5Dr with MyFordTouch, Auto-Park, 303A Package,

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008
Apprentice
2.3L Member
5.0L Member

Send a message via MSN to l_o_t_s_r13
if you get the RPMs right you shouldn't have to use the clutch at all really, i used to do it all the time in my 87 mustang when my clutch was slipping to try to save it so i could still take off... i never noticed any additional problems with it from shifting without clutch...

"never interrupt your enemy while hes making a mistake" - Napolian Bonapart
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have done clutchless shifting before, not on this Mustang though. The clutch feel is completely different now, much better, but it is going to take some getting used to.

I never really thought it to be too much of an issue until I drove a few other S197's with manuals. The clutch would engage about 1/2 way depressed (3-4 inches). My service advisor and the service manager agreed that it was completely different from a few others on the lot. I guess that's why Ford agreed to replace it.

Anyhow, I'm happy.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2008
PONY Member
S197 Member

I think you guys are referring to rev matching...some people say its bad for your car, some say it has no effect. I would really like to know the truth to that because I have done it also. Anyway, congrats on your new clutch.

2005 Screaming Yellow V6 Mustang - 5 Speed Manual, In Dash DVD/Navigation, Eibach Pro Kit, 10" Black Stripes with 1/2" Pinstripes, 10" Sub Woofer with Sony Amplifier, 20" Foose DF-5 Rims with paint matched center pieces.

2009 Shelby GT500 - White w/ Red Stripes - Stock (For Now)

2008 Shelby GT500KR 40th Anniversary Edition - Stock (For Now)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-08-2008 Thread Starter
MACH I Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I guess I didn't use the correct verbage in describing the issue. The does not lie in the shifting out of gear, but shifting into gear. I have never driven a car where it was able to shift into gear with VERY little clutch depression, about 1 inch. All the other Mustangs I drove, my friends and at the dealership, the car would shift into gear with 1/2 clutch depression.

Since the clutch replacement, the clutch feels "normal" or what the other Mustangs and other manual cars I drove felt like.

Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasusmc View Post
I guess I didn't use the correct verbage in describing the issue. The does not lie in the shifting out of gear, but shifting into gear. I have never driven a car where it was able to shift into gear with VERY little clutch depression, about 1 inch. All the other Mustangs I drove, my friends and at the dealership, the car would shift into gear with 1/2 clutch depression.

Since the clutch replacement, the clutch feels "normal" or what the other Mustangs and other manual cars I drove felt like.
Got it... So all is well now??

1965 Mustang Coupe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page