Code P2198 2005 V6 - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

Code P2198 2005 V6

So, I figured I would post on a forum because I'm a sick of dealing with the shop in my town. lol

My check engine came on a couple months ago, I scanned the code and it was P2198. I asked my uncle about it and he said that I might not have to change my O2 sensor it might be something else. So I took it to the shop and the guy scanned it and then told me to come back when the light comes on again. So not long later it came back on, so I went back. He ran injector cleaner through the gas tank and said if it comes on again to come back. Well, it came on again. So I went back, he scanned it, told me to come back if it comes on again. It did and I went back. This happened a couple more times and then I said **** it, this is a waste of my time.

At one point there was another code that came up. I forget the number but it was bank 1 sensor 1, along with P2198 bank 2 sensor 1. The check engine light is on again and I don't feel like going back to the shop that is going to scan the code, clear it, and send me on my way. The code right now is P2198.

So, now I'm stuck on what to do and I need a little help :P

Ps. The guy at the shop told me I most likely won't have to change them..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016
PONY Member

Do you have your own scan tool? If not I would recommend getting one. The P2198 refers to O2 Sensor Biased / Stuck Rich (bank 2 Sensor 1). What that means is that the O2 sensor Before the catylitic converter is reading a rich condition. It could be a number of things. Fuel injectors leaking, fuel pump problems etc. One quick test you could perform, if you have the mechanical skill, is to swap O2 sensors from the drivers side to the passenger side, clear the code and see if comes back (on the passenger sidethis time). If it stays on the drivers side (bank 2) then you'll know you have a real problem on that side. If it switches to the passenger side, then you probably have a bad O2 sensor.

One note of caution: and please heed my warning, sometimes these O2 sensors are stuck. I mean really stuck. If you don't feel comfortable doing this yourelf, take it to a muffler shop and have them check it out for you. If you mess up the sensor or the threads in the cat, it can get very expensive. (I'm speaking from experience here. I just replaced both my cats, to the tune of $800). So be careful.

Best of luck to you.

P2198 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Code

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2198
Copyright OBD-Codes.com
P2198 O2 Sensor Signal Biased/Stuck Rich (Bank 2 Sensor 1) Code

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p2198
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

2005 V6 Convertible
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016 Thread Starter
Rookie

I don't have an OBD reader, I was borrowing my uncles! Thank you for the information, that was a lot more helpful than the muffler shop here! They would pretty much scan it right after I did and then tell me to go away! lol I don't have mechanical skills, although I would like to, so I'll talk to my uncle about switching them.

Thank you!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016
PONY Member

No problem. I just hope it helps. You're going to find a lot of shops don't really want to get involved because the computer controls so much of these cars. If they can swap a part and it works, they're happy to tell you how great they are, but if they really have to diagnose something, well that's another matter. Because you admit to having limited mechanical skills, (which is nothing to be ashamed of, we all started that way), you may want to watch a few youtube videos concerning P2198, it might give you better insight as to what your problem might be, and also get you more familiar with the various components associated with it. Feel free to come back with more questions, if I can't help you, I'm sure someone else will chime in and offer their suggestions and experience.

Have a great day, and best of luck.

2005 V6 Convertible
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016
PONY Member

One thing I have done a few times before buying my own scanner is going to a place like O'Reilly's and borrow theirs. The one I go to has one behind the counter and I was able to read the codes in the parking lot.

Other questions to help us get a better idea of what's going on...
How many miles are on your car?
When were the spark plugs last changed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page