Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/)
-   -   Xcharger Supercharger or Turbocharger? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/1004338-xcharger-supercharger-turbocharger.html)

CarlosGonz 01-15-2017 07:03 PM

Xcharger Supercharger or Turbocharger?
 
I'm looking to either get the Xcharger or a turbocharger. Anyone have any good input on this. Specifically for a turbo, I've seen the OnPerformance3 had a turbo kit for the 4.0 for about $1700 but they no longer sell it. I found this kit on ebay http://m.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-TWIN-TURBO-CHARGER-KIT-800HP-FOR-FORD-MUSTANG-COBRA-GT-SVT-V8-V6-/230918056852?_trkparms=aid%253D222007%2526algo%253 DSIC.MBE%2526ao%253D1%2526asc%253D20150519202348%2 526meid%253D77ac3b46a6c04fc59277921d2837cc92%2526p id%253D100408%2526rk%253D2%2526rkt%253D25%2526meho t%253Dpp%2526sd%253D281158316972&_trksid=p2056116. c100408.m2460 I believe it's the right type of turbo but idk if this is actually compatible or how easy the install of this will be. There's a kit on andysautos for about $6000 which at that point I would probably just but the Xcharger then. Any input or opinions are appreciated.

WarPony40 01-15-2017 11:01 PM

Honestly i was checking into that to for my car and i got a hold of some companies like mrt and powerhouse411 and on3performance and so far no one sells turbos for a 4.0 v6 i have been told i would have to get a custom turbo kit if i did a twin turbo set up mrt says they could do it but it would be fabricated and rear mounted. After the cost for a custom set up its cheaper for me to go roots xcharger xtreme intercooled system not standerd. I was amazed someone already has this set up and pushing 475hp trying for 500hp i am not sure what rwhp is at for them.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

90lxwhite 01-15-2017 11:52 PM

Does no one make a centrifugal supercharger kit for the 4.0? They're easy enough to install, make power with no "lag" really, and are generally cheaper than the roots type kits.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WarPony40 01-16-2017 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90lxwhite (Post 8717714)
Does no one make a centrifugal supercharger kit for the 4.0? They're easy enough to install, make power with no "lag" really, and are generally cheaper than the roots type kits.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes i think vortech and whipple make centrifugal for a 4.0 v6. I checked those out to.


Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

90lxwhite 01-16-2017 10:05 AM

Xcharger Supercharger or Turbocharger?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by WarPony40 (Post 8717730)
Yes i think vortech and whipple make centrifugal for a 4.0 v6. I checked those out to.


Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk


How much are they running? I added vortech's 6-8 lb v3 kit to my stockish '95 and gained over 100 hp at the wheels. It still pretty much has the same powerband as before, there's just more power in the band. The install would be easier than a turbo I imagine.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarlosGonz 01-18-2017 07:43 PM

Turbos generally have more room for adjustability and actually adds to mpgs and adds a good amount of power from it's own exhaust. The Xcharger will be an easier install but I feel like it wouldn't be really adjustable. If I could find an affordable turbo kit with everything needed(not that weird rear mounted kit) it would leave extra money for other upgrades like the clutch.

blu13gt 01-18-2017 07:52 PM

The only way to do a tirbo kit affordable is to build it yourself with off the shelf parts. Any kit you can buy is going to be Spendy. There are exceptions to the rule but most of those exceptions are hit or miss as far as quality and reliability.

WarPony40 01-25-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blu13gt (Post 8721234)
The only way to do a tirbo kit affordable is to build it yourself with off the shelf parts. Any kit you can buy is going to be Spendy. There are exceptions to the rule but most of those exceptions are hit or miss as far as quality and reliability.

This is exactly why i am not going turbo. My original plans were to turbo my car so that has change after trying to find a turbo kit so now i am roots supercharger. There is always centrifugal but i want the roots.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

CarlosGonz 01-26-2017 07:52 PM

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-05093V6/On3...-Mustang-V6-40 This kit use to be available but not anymore I guess, but https://lmr.com/item/LRS-05093TF/Mus...urbo-Kit-05-09 this one appears to be the exact same thing, same size turbo all parts and pieces for tubing same, I think only difference that might affect is the tubing to the throttle body, which might be a simple fix with some welding or modification. I will be making some calls and sending some emails to try and receive more information as to the kit and it's adjustability to the v6. Also this way if I get a 4.6L from a salvage I can reuse the turbo for it as well.

JimC 01-26-2017 09:00 PM

For ease of installation, and a great sound, the Xcharger. But you won't have a dyno sheet to give you bragging rights.

Vortech and Procharger both make a centrifugal for the 4.0. You get a little more power but not the low end torque of the Xcharger. The centri will run the Xcharger car down in the 1/4 mile once it gets rolling.

The ebay turbo "kit" is just a box of parts. And not even all the parts you need. That is the cold side only, you still have to fabricate the hot side, and figure out how to make the cold side parts they send fit your car. You will need to figure out what injectors you need, and how to plumb the oil lines.

WarPony40 01-28-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimC (Post 8731785)
For ease of installation, and a great sound, the Xcharger. But you won't have a dyno sheet to give you bragging rights.

Vortech and Procharger both make a centrifugal for the 4.0. You get a little more power but not the low end torque of the Xcharger. The centri will run the Xcharger car down in the 1/4 mile once it gets rolling.

The ebay turbo "kit" is just a box of parts. And not even all the parts you need. That is the cold side only, you still have to fabricate the hot side, and figure out how to make the cold side parts they send fit your car. You will need to figure out what injectors you need, and how to plumb the oil lines.

The xcharger is good low end but i could've sworn that the xcharger xtreme kit is good low end and builds while your hitting high rpms to according to dave when i called and talk to him at explore express

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

WarPony40 01-30-2017 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosGonz (Post 8717354)
I'm looking to either get the Xcharger or a turbocharger. Anyone have any good input on this. Specifically for a turbo, I've seen the OnPerformance3 had a turbo kit for the 4.0 for about $1700 but they no longer sell it. I found this kit on ebay http://m.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-TWIN-TUR....c100408.m2460 I believe it's the right type of turbo but idk if this is actually compatible or how easy the install of this will be. There's a kit on andysautos for about $6000 which at that point I would probably just but the Xcharger then. Any input or opinions are appreciated.

Howa it going. I did some more research and a friend of mine is helping me he is in a drift team he has a 240sx turbo so he knows all about turbo applications he is helping me and swears by turbo any how we found everything we need by piecing it together the only problem is finding a turbo manifold for a 4.0 v6 mustang. I called up a few companies and they do not advertise these applications for a 4.0 v6 set up on their website but they still make and have a full turbo kit for a 4.0 v6 mustang on3performance and mrt performance.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

CarlosGonz 02-03-2017 02:25 AM

Yeah on3performance use to have a turbo kit for the 4.0 but since removed it from their products page. I have yet to find time to contact them to try and see if they have a possible kit or know of someone with one.

WarPony40 02-04-2017 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlosGonz (Post 8740185)
Yeah on3performance use to have a turbo kit for the 4.0 but since removed it from their products page. I have yet to find time to contact them to try and see if they have a possible kit or know of someone with one.

So i found one from mrt performance they dont have it advertised on their website but they got back to me and they do carry the turbo kit for a 4.0 v6 mustang its 3200 and a complete kit with custom turbo manifold and i think a 58 mm or 60 mm precision turbo with all the piping and sct tuner.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

WarPony40 02-04-2017 01:57 AM

O yeah mrt even makes a twin turbo set up for a 4.0 v6 mustang but it cost alot and its completely fabricated and a rear mount sts turbo system.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:11 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
vB.Sponsors
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright © 2002-2015 All Ford Enthusiasts Network ™.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome