Passenger tail lights and turn signal wont cut off. - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Kovyaaron
  • 1 Post By bl817

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Passenger tail lights and turn signal wont cut off.

Hey everyone, so I woke up this morning to see the right 2 tail lights and turn signal on my car were on, and wont turn off. I checked my passenger side floor to see if it was wet, (it wasnt) and right now im troubleshooting it making sure everything else works. Gonna check the SJB in a few mins to see if its damp or not. Please let me know what you think and how i can correct this.

(I already removed the grommets from a previous water leak incident.)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quick update, found about 5 drops of water on it, gonna dry it out and clean it and hope for the best, hopefully this fixes it

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017
PONY Member

If not then look for a bad ground wire or connection in the tail light harness.

2002 Mustang 3.8L 5 speed 3.27 Trac Lock
2007 Mustang 4.0L 5 speed 3.31 Trac Lock -SOLD

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-16-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Luckily cleaning the connector pins of the corrosion did the trick.
Thank you big gear head for your idea, i really do appreciate it!

Now time to figure out a permanent solution on how to not get water on that darn sjb
big gear head likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017
Apprentice
Classic Member

Could you wrap it in electrical tape?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2017
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I had a sheet of dynomat laying around, I trimmed a piece big enough to cover the thru the body grommet that is above the SJB. had to cut a slit in it to get it around the harness that comes thru. so far it has worked but I don't drive my Mustang in the rain if I can help it. good luck
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017
Apprentice

I have the same problem after changing the bulb i going to replace the harness which i hope it is just the harness if its not then i have to check the wiring because its a bad ground its shorting out.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
more than likely the wiring is just fine. almost everything in the car is hot and the SJB is the ground, I.E. there is power going to all the lights but the SJB grounds the connections depending on signals to it. even if your passenger floor area isn't wet, take some time and remove the kickpanel, and check the connectors. if need be, remove the negative battery terminal, then unbolt the SJB from the car (1 10mm bolt) unplug connectors and visually inspect. take it apart if need be. there are threads on here to help guide you thru the process. good luck
WarPony40 likes this.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2017
GT Member

Not sure here which grommets the OP is talking about. Maybe he's talking cowl drain grommets ? If those get plugged, water enters the cabin air filter area of firewall.

Everything below relates to water entering COWL CHANNEL (as shown in tech illustrations). We want to make sure no water enters this area....and into cabin of car from this area.

I'm talking here about 1st, cowl grommets base of windshield. Those should be checked...if they leak, can be resealed, outer edges with urethane sealer. You do not have to replace them as Ford states to do, as they cost over $5. each and there are 5 on each side of cowl, ten total. Once we're sure they are not leaking, next to check:

If not the grommets in cowl, it's often, 2nd, the 'FORWARD PINCH WELD' area which needs to be resealed with urethane sealer...both horizontal (across cowl lip) and vertical areas (just below hood hinge) passenger side of car. Your intent here is to keep water out of the 'COWL CHANNEL'.
Best to remove passenger side black plastic 'COWL PANEL GRILLE' to easily access this area of cowl.

Urethane Sealer from Home Improvement store is cheap and works fine...about $5. a tube plus a cheap caulking gun.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf water leak newest with picture.pdf (282.3 KB, 40 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page