Engine Options? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By CarlosGonz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Engine Options?

Was wondering which would be better to do for someone who's pretty new to the mustang world. Supercharged v6 or just do a v8 swap(preferably used for a decent price)? I know it's better in the long run to do the swap for more displacement but how much would it all cost for the engine and for a shop to actually perform the swap, and where would I find the engine? Already looked around nearby salvage yards. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017
Apprentice

So thats a bit tricky. Its probably cheaper to do the engine swap. But changing ecu plus labor cost if you have a shop do it. Honestly turn out is the same as buying a super charger only other difference the supercharger is bolt on and easier to install.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-02-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

I have no problem with having a shop perform the swap, but why would I have to change the ECU? Just trying to learn and understand more about working on this car

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017
Rookie

If you can't talk about what is all that you need to do for a v8 swap don't do it. You'll most likely end up with a project car that'll need another part you need and another. You'll need to swap out more than just the engine, the fuel lines, fuel pump, etc. You'll probably want to also upgrade the transmission, driveshaft and rear axle to hold up to the v8 and probably also the brakes from a v8 so make sure you know how much work you're actually going to have to put in.
WarPony40 likes this.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017
Apprentice

I agree there is a lot to consider when doing an engine swap. I looked and thought about it myself and its a project all though this is why i like mustangs especially from 05 to 10 the engine bay has more then enough room for a swap. One guy on youtube called kurio swap from 4.0 v6 to a 5.4 gt500 its possible its just alot of work same thing going from 4.0 to a 4.6 is easier and common swap but its still a whole different engine more hp more torque your speedometer would be different then the speedometer on a 4.0 v6 this is another reason why you would change out your ecu and calibrate it. I am increasing hp in my 4.0 v6 and going with a digital speedometer and calibrating it. Plus an engine swap with more power on stock rear and gears 3.31 7.5 i dont truly know if that will last only because gt comes with 8.8 rear.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017
Apprentice

There is only a few gt parts you can interchange with a 4.0 v6 only a few.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page