Explorer Express - best X-Charger support ever! - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2017 Thread Starter
GT Member

Explorer Express - best X-Charger support ever!

Huge thanks to Dave Vanek of Explorer Express for saving my butt on getting my car smogged!

I had been wracking my brains since January trying to figure out why the EGR wouldn't work on my car.

I was running an AM/BAMA emissions tune that passed inspections twice before. But now I was getting an EGR not ready error.

I tested and replaced components, checked calibrations on sensors, downloaded and studied over 1000 pages of factory service manuals and schematics, 100's of pages of OBD2 technical descriptions, went through all kinds of pinpoint tests, flashed and reflashed PCM multiple times, drove 1100 miles of drive cycles, checked wiring, PCM grounds, hoses, PIDs, logged live data, pulled Mode 6 data, checked: IAT sensor, CKP sensor, TP sensor, MAF sensor, MAP sensor, CT sensor, thermostat, throttle motor, solenoids, valves, and more.

Live data showed that EGR was never commanded over 0%. Other testing showed that the EGR monitor got through the voltage and vacuum checks, but just refused to activate the EGR flow during part throttle.

I tried to get the dealer to pull diagnostics on from the car, but they wouldn't touch it at all.

I emailed Dave last month and got a bunch of useful suggestions, but still couldn't figure out the problem.

By now, my registration is expired and I'm coming up on the end of my one time temporary operating permit. I'm figuring that I'll never be able to register or drive the car again.

Out of desperation this past week, I loaded the stock tune and drove the car, being careful to stay out of boost. As soon as I got down the block, the live data showed the EGR to be working fine!

So there was nothing wrong with the car at all. Just that the AM/BAMA smog tune didn't actually activate all the emissions equipment.

Great, so I emailed AM to get the tune fixed, because you know - "free tunes for life". Lots of back and forth emails, but the end result was "no tunes for you" and "we can't find any of your info/files".

This Friday, Dave emailed to see if I got things worked out. After a month, he still remembered my problem and checked in on me.

I gave him an update about the cause of the problem, and how I couldn't get anywhere with AM, the Ford dealer, or the local tuning shop.

By Saturday, he had contacted Doug Studdard(the original and REAL BamaChips, not the one that's currently using the name) and got me a new legal working CA emissions tune for my X-Charger Xtreme.

I loaded the tune and got all the OBD2 monitors to complete in less than 7 miles of drive cycle. So now I can pass inspection and get my tags.

Dave and Doug really came through for me when I needed help the most.

This is what Dave says:

Quote:
I still feel a loyalty to all those who have expressed their confidence in me by buying my products. I've tried to give each X-C owner my best effort. "Your total satisfaction is the only acceptable outcome" has always been more than just a motto to us in all of our businesses. I intend to stay available to any X-man who needs assistance.
And from my experience that is 100% true.

Big thanks!

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017
PONY Member

OBD readiness and smog inspection issues can be a real pain. I went through this myself but my problem was with the rear o2 sensors. Glad you were able to get help from knowledgeable people.
So is Doug still in the tuning industry? Did he have to rename his business to get away from the Bama stigma?

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2017 Thread Starter
GT Member

Dave said Doug is tuning just X-Chargers now.

Would be great if Doug started tuning other cars again.

After my AM experience, I Googled Mike Wilson and BAMA and ran across a whole bunch of really questionable support.

Looking at a 9 page thread on svtperformance forums right now. That kind of explains some of the problems people have reported.

AM customer service emailed me a link to review my recent "tunes for life" purchase. I left a 1 star review, but don't see it on their website.

I did see other reviewers there and elsewhere saying that AM/BAMA refused to help them or lost their info.

I just unsubscribed from all their emails, and will unsubscribe from their Youtube channel. I don't need the constant reminders of my horrible experience.

Sad, because a few years ago, I used to use them as an example of a company with excellent customer support.

2007 Satin Silver V6 / Explorer Express X-Charger #67 - Xtreme 2.6 - INTERCOOLED!
AEM, MSD, JBA, Zabteck, FRPP X, Dynomax bullets, Pype Bombs, J&M, Steeda, Tokico d-spec, H&R Race, Eibach, Shelby Fays2, Shaftmasters, 8.8, t-lok, 3.73, OE Wheels Cobra R 18x9/10, Nitto 555 255/285, Hawk HPS, GT/CS F/R fascia

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2017
Rookie

Dave is the best he had always been very helpful with my install about 3 weeks ago. I had originally received the wrong size pulleys so the drivebelt wouldn't go on so I searched the part number in the booklet to find a replacement to fit. After I drove to Napa I passed by to get the opportunity to talk to him and show him some of the things I was experiencing. One being that the hole for the breather tube on the metal intake tube was slightly offset to the side so it made the 90* fitting bend at an awkward angle so he checked all the other intakes and saw that they all had the same problem so he plugged the original hole and drilled a new one to fit where it was supposed to go. The pulleys he gave me the metal ones that were meant to go with the kit and we replaced those right away. Very helpful and definitely stays true to his word.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019
Rookie

Good evening! A have bought an x-charger tuner 5 years ago for ford mustang 2010 4.0 sohc v6 and unfortunately have lost a programator. I want to istall it this summer, but i am not sure how to tune it. Unfortunately explorerexpress doesnt realize any support nowadays. Where is it possible to buy the tuner separedly?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019 Thread Starter
GT Member

You can get the SCT tuner from Late Model Restoration.

https://lmr.com/item/SCT-7015/SCT-Po...ang-96-14-7015

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019
Rookie

The tuner is not a problem. The problem is that I can’t find anyone who can send me a tune for x-charger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ugly View Post
You can get the SCT tuner from Late Model Restoration.

https://lmr.com/item/SCT-7015/SCT-Po...ang-96-14-7015
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019
Rookie

Heyy does any one know where I could get the California carb documents for the xcharger and xcharger xtreme
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-03-2019
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianvilla View Post
Heyy does any one know where I could get the California carb documents for the xcharger and xcharger xtreme

1. Contact Explorer Express and talk to them about a CARB cert. They might want to get some info from you about the product you have. Or they might know who you can contact.

OR

2. Calif Air Resource Board website has a search function that may help you locate the executive order for that product. Example of search: X Charger Mustang. You might need to use a variety of word combinations to find what you are looking for.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page