Recurring Oxygen Sensor Problem - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Unhappy Recurring Oxygen Sensor Problem

This is a sad story I need help with: Three weeks ago I got a check engine light on my 2006 V6 Mustang, my usual mechanic read the code and it came up with oxygen sensor. This mechanic has been good to me for 15 or so years, so I agreed to replace all the sensors - $460 parts and labor (Northern Virginia prices). But the light came back a day or so later. I brought it back, and the code was the same. They thought it must have been a faulty set of sensors, so they replaced them again at their cost. Day or so later, light came back on again. Brought it back a THIRD time, this time they said my catalytic converter was worn out and must be overheating the sensors next to it. So I agreed to replace the catalytic converter, and a tuneup, so another $1000... Light comes back an hour after I leave (by the time they're closed of course). Brought it back a FOURTH time - they talk to the dealer and decide to replace the sensors AGAIN, on their own cost. I drive it home today, light comes back on after an hour of driving...

So I'm now out $1500 and my wits. Clearly I need to go somewhere else, if not get much of my money back. Any recommendations on what to do/where to go?

Thanks,

Neil

Last edited by baumgar; 06-27-2017 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Update subject
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-09-2017
Sean Reilly

Has the Mecanic bother to check the AF/R (Air Fuel Ratio)......I bet a Dollar to a Donut that is what is causing the issues!..........

Sean.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-11-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Looks like I will get to find out tomorrow - will report back. Thanks!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Apparently - so far so good, fingers crossed - it was a burnt out wire. They traced the electric system and found a wire near the fuse box that had gotten loose and burnt out. Its been 36 hours without the light coming back on, which I believe is the longest stretch since it first happened on May 20.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Looks like I spoke too soon and jinxed myself - light came back on after 40 hours. Back to the mechanic tomorrow...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

The saga continues. Mechanic found another burnt out wire and tried to fix it, but supposedly got more engine and transmission codes they couldnt figure out - that being said they did fix a transmission cable problem I've had for more than a year that another transmission place never fixed after repeated tries. Anyway, my mechanic put the old catalytic converter back in and refunded me that cost since it wasnt the problem, and suggested I go to the dealer next time the check engine light comes back on.

So I took the Mustang to the dealer on Thursday after the light came back on again - just got the car back yesterday, same drill as before. Their mechanic said they tried to pinpoint the problem, which appeared to be power to the oxygen sensors, but it went away while they were trying to pinpoint it and basically gave up. They hoped it would never come back LOL. Naturally, I got 10 minutes/1 mile down the road before the light came back on again. So, I'm back to the dealer on Monday...
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

The dealer is recommending replacing the wiring hardness. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Is this something I could have anyone other than the dealer do? Needless to say dealer labor rates are rough...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumgar View Post
The dealer is recommending replacing the wiring hardness. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations? Is this something I could have anyone other than the dealer do? Needless to say dealer labor rates are rough...
They just added replacing the PCM to the bill. Basically there was a short circuit in the wiring harness, which is very brittle, and it fried the PCM... The bill is rather expensive. This could be the end of my Mustang

Neil
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017
PONY Member

Whoa! Whoa! slow down a second. The PCM you can do yourself, as well as replace the wiring harness.... Wait, I'll PM you...

2005 V6 Convertible
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-27-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks MirageII, you may be giving me some light at the end of this tunnel. Will be in touch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page