Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/)
-   -   Mustang is making a weird noise behind the dash? (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/1031065-mustang-making-weird-noise-behind-dash.html)

s197problems 07-02-2017 02:39 AM

Mustang is making a weird noise behind the dash?

So about 2 months back my 08 mustang was nearing 50k miles and everything started to fail the water pump died out and I didn't know until I spent 400+ on replacing the coolant temp sensor and the thermostat housing only to have my car still leak all its fluid and then the mechanic finally tell me that it's the water pump.. But since I had no more money to repair it (gonna charge me 350+ to fix it) I had to always fill up my car with distilled until I could afford the repair which took around 2 1/2 to 3 weeks. After repairing it my car was all good but it kept misfiring so i thought it was the spark plugs since I never replaced them I then had them replaced a few days later and no change the car still misfires and this noise can be heard from behind the dash while the car idles sometimes. Now the car doesn't always misfire and it mainly only does it when the car is starting up from a cold start the power delivery is the same and the car doesn't feel boggy or anything and the fuel mileage is alright I get around 15-16MPG. So does anyone know what it could possibly be? I also cleaned my MAF and that did not help the problem and I never changed my cabin air filter could that cause the problem??

Beechkid 07-02-2017 07:00 PM

I'm betting the noise behind the dash is echoing from the engine compartment.......did you use a torque wrench to ensure the plugs were properly tightened? Whether you did or not, go back and check all the plugs...I'll bet you have a loose one, if not time to check the COPS......IMHO, only replace with MC brand.

Also check for trouble codes ans this may indicate which cop is bad.

I would also highly recommend getting an online subscription to Helms.....or Mitchell so you can have access to the oem reapir/service manuals which will provide you will a plethora of information including troubleshooting steps.......such as the waterpump....a new one is around $75......and you can install that yourself.

s197problems 07-02-2017 11:12 PM

Yes it was torque down by the guy who installed the plugs I personally watched that. And with COPS how do I check which one is bad is their a visual inspection that I could make?

And here is a video of the noise and my oil from the dipstick

the noise: oil=

s197problems 07-09-2017 03:08 AM

Any help?? My car doesnt have the COPS system since its a v6 08 mustang just a coil pack? So does anyone know what to do??? I got the codes checked at autozone and it was a random misfire from cyl 2 4 and 5. I cleaned out my TB and the car hasnt misfired from a cold start since the last 3 times i started it but it still makes that noise from the engine after a long drive(35 mins)

Dana W 07-09-2017 09:19 AM

Sounds to me like an exhaust leak, maybe from the CAT to mid-pipe joint.

s197problems 07-09-2017 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana W (Post 8911177)
Sounds to me like an exhaust leak, maybe from the CAT to mid-pipe joint.

This only happens after driving for some time i never hear it when I start the car and the exhaust seems nice and doesn't have a choppy sound to it or has gotten considerably louder and when I put the car in park the sound gets noticebly quite

Dana W 07-10-2017 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s197problems (Post 8911633)
This only happens after driving for some time i never hear it when I start the car and the exhaust seems nice and doesn't have a choppy sound to it or has gotten considerably louder and when I put the car in park the sound gets noticebly quite

Well, it's only guesswork anyway. Joints can open after getting hot, and putting the stick in park or neutral takes the load off the engine quieting things down. Then again it could be something in the transmission like a faulty torque converter clutch, if you have a locking torque converter. I don't remember if my '07 GT had a converter clutch. It was automatic. Frankly I never researched what was in the transmission. I only bought an automatic so my wife could drive it, and for the three years we had it, she never even sat in the drivers seat even in the driveway. I moved on to another GT with a 5 speed.

s197problems 07-11-2017 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana W (Post 8912689)
Well, it's only guesswork anyway. Joints can open after getting hot, and putting the stick in park or neutral takes the load off the engine quieting things down. Then again it could be something in the transmission like a faulty torque converter clutch, if you have a locking torque converter. I don't remember if my '07 GT had a converter clutch. It was automatic. Frankly I never researched what was in the transmission. I only bought an automatic so my wife could drive it, and for the three years we had it, she never even sat in the drivers seat even in the driveway. I moved on to another GT with a 5 speed.

Welp the noise IS infact coming from that area I put my ears to the gearbox after coming back from work and heard it their clear as day and then I went under the car to that general area and heard it again so Idk what it could be then welp I now have to drop the 80-100 on the diagnostic from ford cause I justy dont want to risk it anymore. Hopefully it isn't anything too expensive!

Oh ignore what I said in my previous post I do feel like its an exhaust leak now! The exhaust does get loud and choppy after a drive while the rattling is happening. So how much do you think it would be to get it fixed? I rather now not go to ford for a diagnostic to pay 80-100$ for them to tell me its a leak in the exhaust and the car is an auto if that helps

Dana W 07-13-2017 11:12 PM

There may be some simple ways to test for exhaust leaks. Maybe pour some liquid soap, 50/50 water, around the pipe joints in front of and after the cats, start the car and look for bubbles. although it will smell REALLY bad once it starts cooking off. Small exhaust leaks don't make any noise really, but as the pipes get hot, the gap can get bigger.

You can also have someone cover the ends of the pipes one at a time with something and listen for an increase in noise at the suspected leak area.

You can have an exhaust leak fixed almost anywhere, if that is what it is. I wouldn't want to guess at a cost, but it can't be a lot. Of course, if it is a break, and not a loose joint, there may be a new piece of pipe to buy. The welded joints can break from rust after a number of years. Years ago, I had a flange bolt break at the joint between the header and converter inlet pipe. The other of the two bolts was so badly rusted, I had to hacksaw it off and re-drill the holes in the header flange to repair it. Another time, I had a muffler inlet pipe completely break off the front of a muffler.

s197problems 07-14-2017 04:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana W (Post 8915649)
There may be some simple ways to test for exhaust leaks. Maybe pour some liquid soap, 50/50 water, around the pipe joints in front of and after the cats, start the car and look for bubbles. although it will smell REALLY bad once it starts cooking off. Small exhaust leaks don't make any noise really, but as the pipes get hot, the gap can get bigger.

You can also have someone cover the ends of the pipes one at a time with something and listen for an increase in noise at the suspected leak area.

You can have an exhaust leak fixed almost anywhere, if that is what it is. I wouldn't want to guess at a cost, but it can't be a lot. Of course, if it is a break, and not a loose joint, there may be a new piece of pipe to buy. The welded joints can break from rust after a number of years. Years ago, I had a flange bolt break at the joint between the header and converter inlet pipe. The other of the two bolts was so badly rusted, I had to hacksaw it off and re-drill the holes in the header flange to repair it. Another time, I had a muffler inlet pipe completely break off the front of a muffler.

I went to an exhaust shop and it wasn't a leak :/ they said I had to replace my belt and pulley so I did and it fixed a squakey belt problem but I still hear the car making the noise albiet not as bad and it still misfires they ran my codes and said I had a misfire on cyl 4 so I would have to just replace my coil pack. I'm going to do that tommorow wish me luck

Dana W 07-15-2017 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s197problems (Post 8915809)
I went to an exhaust shop and it wasn't a leak :/ they said I had to replace my belt and pulley so I did and it fixed a squakey belt problem but I still hear the car making the noise albiet not as bad and it still misfires they ran my codes and said I had a misfire on cyl 4 so I would have to just replace my coil pack. I'm going to do that tommorow wish me luck

glad its getting worked out.

s197problems 07-23-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana W (Post 8916721)
glad its getting worked out.

Welp dealership scheduled me next week but I think I know what I got...

Car started to smoke out the exhaust for like 10-20 mins every time I turned it on(sometimes it wont happen) and kinda smelled weird not like exhaust smell it was white smoke and not surprisingly my coolant tank was empty and took a gallon to fill up even though it was good for like 3 weeks and the dipstick doesn't look like it has coolant but under the oil cap and around it is this milk choclate looking sludge so you know where this is going... The car still has good mileage a quarter tank gave me about ~100 miles and the car drives good and the idle has gotten better but yea I'm pretty sure I got a small hole in my HG.. What are my options? I can't afford a repair/replacement as I'm paying for my new place soon so it would take me until like oct to save up the money so what would my options be? And I work far and this is my only car so I can't really not drive it sadly.

Dana W 07-23-2017 02:58 PM

Sorry to hear all that. Yup, that would explain the exhaust leak noise alright. Sorry to say, there really isn't an option to replacing the head gasket. At some point, the gasket will fail enough so that it won't run at all. If enough coolant and/or oil makes its way into a combustion chamber, there could be piston or rod failure due to the liquid not being compressible. Maybe you could get a cheap rental to postpone the repair?

s197problems 07-25-2017 01:44 PM

I'm only 20 so places in FL wont really rent to me and I don't really make enough to rent a vehicle either for a few months. Maybe I could try like 1/4 a bottle of the blue devil stuff? It would be a temp fix but maybe it might be enough to keep me going till I can do a repair?

40th GT 07-25-2017 02:48 PM

Sounds like the head gasket was damaged when the coolant tank was ran dry. Sorry to hear you've sank all that money into false diagnosis.