• 1 Post By 40th GT
  • 1 Post By Plagg

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Big Mods, Need help on tuning options.

First post! Good to meet you all.

So I have the car listed in my signature, and as you can see am just starting to get into some big modifications. I have used and love my Diablosport predator that I got relatively cheap off craigslist, but have recently come to find after I just installed my headers and 70mm TB, that it cant quite do enough for me with the canned tunes within it. As many people do with our headers I ran into the EGR nightmare and just plated it off and did the full custom delete, which does throw a code. I can clear the codes with my predator or amazon app receiver thing but it will still come back every time I start the car which is a hassle. I have heard that you can plug in certain connectors to trick the computer to not throw a code which I'll try to do, because the car does run really great as far as I can tell. And I know I can probably bring it to a local tuner or get a cheap email tune to tune out this code.. but I have never done either of these and don't know how to go about it.

I'm nervous seeing all the things about the Diablosport kind of dying off from the mustang tuners and my few google searches I found no luck in getting an email to talk to a tuner for the 4.0. I would still need to buy the cables for my tuner to hook up to my computer for around $50 it seems, so I want to make sure I can use this tuner before I follow through with ordering those.

Another point that has me nervous is I am waiting to install my t-lock and 4.10 gears into my car, which won't necessarily need a tune but I will get annoyed real quick driving around with my tach and speedo off. And then next up I have the zex nitrous kit, I have supercharged a 2.4 cobalt ss, and done big jobs such as manual swapping a 3000gt with the vr4 conversion, so the actual mechanic challenge doesn't intimidate me whatsoever but tuning does. This car means a lot to me and is my DD. I don't plan on running more than a 75 shot and am still leaning toward sticking with a 50 if I can, but NOS is new to me so I apologize for not knowing all of the set up that goes with it.

Is there an option for software to learn how to tune things myself (I know.. I know, this is best left to professionals, I've heard that and understand the danger, I'm just looking for options). Or am I looking at talking with local Dyno tuners (I live in Michigan) and getting in connection with one of them? Or is there an email tuner option for my predator, or do I need to look into an SCT or other brand of sorts.

Thank you all for your time I appreciate it I'm super stoked to get far with mods to this car but am held up by the tuning aspect :/ so hopefully I can get an affordable option as I am still a college student for one more year.

Please let me know of any questions you may have for me or if there is any information you need to help

2005 Legend Lime 4.0 5Speed
Drivetrain: K&N Drop-in, LUK clutch, GT mufflers, BBK 70mm TB, EGR Delete, PaceSetter Shorty Headers, Diablosport 93 Tune, Vex nitrous kit, 7.5 rear t-lok and 4.10 gears (8.8 rear soon)
Suspension: GT500 shocks/struts, Eibach Springs, GT500 Rear Control arms, Steeda strut bar
Cosmetics: Louvers, GT spoiler, GT black wheels with chrome lip, eleanor bumper, gt500 shift knob, GT grill with fogs, 3D carbon side skirts & rear diffuser/skirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017
PONY Member

If you are near Dearborn you can call Livernois and see if they can dyno tune your setup. You are right about tuners having a preference for SCT over Diablo so you may need to pony up for an SCT X3 or X4.
Livernois is a long established, full service shop which means more $$$. Email tuners who do nothing but tuning have less overhead so they usually charge less for the service.

I've found Don Lasota has very affordable prices for email tunes so I would contact him as well. He mainly deals with 4.6 cars with SCT but it's worth asking. Custom tunes via email involves datalogging your car with a laptop computer and a tuning device like an SCT. This option requires you to do 2nd and 3rd gear pulls (and sometimes 4th?) at wide open throttle so unless you're in a rural area where you can safely do this on the street you may need to rent dyno time or track time.

If you decide to self-tune SCT sells a Pro Racer Package that allows you to access the car's PCM where you can adjust over 1000 parameters. Again this requires going wide open on the street or dyno/track time to tune for safe WOT. HP Tuners is another software package people use and some like it more than SCT. You will have to decide what's better for you.

A 50 shot of nitrous will be barely noticeable so I think you'll be wanting a 75 shot pretty quickly. But I respect you wanting to go in increments since you are new to nitrous.

marylandGT likes this.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
Procharged--cammed--Lito tuned--coilover suspension
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
40th GT

Thanks so much for the quick reply! All really good information and I'll be researching off some of your points today Yeah, I messed with ZZP for tuning on their dyno with the cobalt and the pricing was outrageous so I'm looking to go about it in a much more affordable fashion this time around... whatever it ends up taking. I'll shoot Don Lasota an email, can't hurt to just hear what he has to say!

I have seen data logging options in my Diablosport is this not enough? I know I would need cables to hook up to my laptop what is the advantage to the SCT handheld? Even cheap used ones of the SCT are going around 300$ from what I've found..

And yep! Have pleanty of room and a cheap drag strip close by so WOT pulls are not an issue at all.

So with the Self tune softwares (obvi need to get past a learning curve of research I would imagine, but it still highly interests me) Can I then transfer those custom tunes into my car with any handheld?

Yeah, I have heard that being said about the 50 shot but I have also heard it isn't *too* bad for your car to run a 50shot without a tune. (not great, but shouldn't break anything) so I figured I can get that all working before messing with the tune and more nitrous.

Thanks again! Really appreciate your post

Drivetrain: K&N Drop-in, LUK clutch, GT mufflers, BBK 70mm TB, EGR Delete, PaceSetter Shorty Headers, Diablosport 93 Tune, Vex nitrous kit, 7.5 rear t-lok and 4.10 gears (8.8 rear soon)
Suspension: GT500 shocks/struts, Eibach Springs, GT500 Rear Control arms, Steeda strut bar
Cosmetics: Louvers, GT spoiler, GT black wheels with chrome lip, eleanor bumper, gt500 shift knob, GT grill with fogs, 3D carbon side skirts & rear diffuser/skirt

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017
PONY Member

As for which handheld to go with it really depends on what your tuner prefers. From my experience most prefer SCT but they may work with Diablo as well.

I haven't worked with self tuning software but I assume the software will need to be compatible with the handheld (i.e. the SCT Pro Racer Package won't work with a Diablo handheld). Once that is figured out you can upload the tune to your car. Keep in mind the handheld device will be "locked in" with your car until the stock tune is back on and the device is unmarried from the car. And SCT devices come with 5-6 unlocking credits (not 100% sure on that number) which means once it has passed 5-6 owners the device is no good. When buying a used device you need to make sure it's unlocked by the previous owner or it will not work for your car.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
UPDATE: Heard back from Don Lasota and he said they tune tons of V6's. "from stock to twin turbo" so sounds like he could be a good hook up if the price is right. But he also said they have software to work with diablosport but they refuse to use it anymore. I guess it's just super frustrating for tuners to work with so it seems to be be dying off. Looks like any way I go I will be unlocking the predator from my car to try to sell and picking up either an SCT or the HPtuners kit for 499 with their handheld and software, (Which Don Lasota also mentioned they work with the Hptuners handheld) or finding a used SCT, and either getting an email tune or the SCT Pro Racer software for $350. The bama SCT handheld tuners themselves seem to go for around 400, so hopefully I can snag a craigslist one for 200-300 :\

Just trying to decide if its better to save up and get the whole HPtuners kit to learn it myself and probably be better off in the long run,

Or get the SCT handheld and work with an email tuner for the time being, and then later down the road get the SCT Pro-Racer kit when I want to play with learning to tune on my own.

For now I'll stay searching and appreciate any input!

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-26-2017
PONY Member

The upfront cost for HP Tuners/Pro Racer is higher but as you change setups/add other mods you will need retunes in the future so the software will pay for itself in the long run. Learning to tune yourself will be a huge advantage for you once you get things figured out. I don't see anything in your mod list that will cause major driveability issues so I would save up for the software and drive the car as is. And keep the nitrous dosage to a 50 shot. But these are just my opinions.

2007 Mustang GT/CS coupe
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 07-27-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Thanks again!

Yes this is my plan also I think it would be super fun to learn so my heart kinda pulls towards that anyways. And I believe the 50 shot will be fine because my best mate has a Cobalt SS 2.4 supercharged we've been building for two years and we're pretty much neck and neck till the very top end but I think the gears will shove me out the line quicker than him and the nitrous will help once his charger spools up at the top end haha.

Appreciate all the help!
40th GT likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
tune tuning egr

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page