Shoot me in the face: COOLING SYSTEM FUN! - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kenv

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Talking Shoot me in the face: COOLING SYSTEM FUN!

Gentlemen and ladies, Jim here. Lifetime tinkerer, DIY guy, concert lighting dude. My Mustang is a silver 2010 V6 4.0L, plain jane silver, black interior, I love my girl.

I drive the mustang also for business trips, and this last one from Memphis to Oklahoma City I was driving home late at night and the engine kicked into overheat mode, I pulled over and found a coolant leak. Looked like it was from where the thermostat body is, so I filled the reclaim tank, and got her home.

I'm a child of an engineer, and I grew up working on my own cars, and I quite enjoy it, but this one is stumping me, and money is tight as heck so I'm trying to fix this so I can keep working... I've replaced the water pump myself, thermostat, and I thought I had it solved! Nope, my last business drive from OKC to Dallas, coolant leak, same spot -- right at the assembly where the thermostat lives.

I've taken a video if that will help -- unlisted YT link -- I apologize, I said the F word twice I think...

Would I be right in assuming that I have a leak in the thermostat housing itself and that I can replace it? It seems like once I drained the cooling system and re-tightened the thermostat housing, it might have postponed the leak somewhat, but when she got back hot again, leak. It's just a constant weep that is getting considerably worse, right around where that housing is, and I have got to fix this mofo in order to work!

I've got all day tomorrow to fix this thang, I've got an Autozone, O'Reilly, Pep Boys, AND anything else within ten minutes of me. What do you guys think?

New water pump installed!

Cooling channel -- I work with automated concert lighting, so working on my car is a stress relieving blast, if I can get this figured out!

Any help or reassurance/insults are appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-29-2017
MACH I Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Garage
I've seen a lot of threads here about those V6s with your same problem. Do a search in the "05-09 V6 tech" section and you'll see your not alone.
I see you've been working around cars for years but I gotta ask. Did you thoroughly check and clean the mating surfaces of the parts you replaced?
Also, I'm having a hard time seeing where the small leak(weep) in the video. Can you help out me and my old eyes? Thanks.

Btw, your in the running for "Best Title of the Year" award. Lol

08 GT 5spd
Spectra CAI, Comp Cam Detroit Rockers, Kooks headers w/catted H-pipe, Revolution Automotive dyno tuned, FB430 race mufflers, 3.55s, JLT catch can, BMR Lca's and relo brackets. Prothane motor mounts and sway bar bushings.
20% tint, smoked markers and tail lights w/sequentials. Clear front signal covers, series 3 chin spoiler.
Old 07-29-2017
SITE ADMINISTRATOR
Mustang II Member
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Gasket? or, porous housing? Just my guesstimates
marylandGT likes this.

2013 GT CONVERTIBLE GHIG
2015 F-150 King Ranch crew cab

Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.
Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever.
AFM SITE ADMINISTRATOR

NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR BEING PATRIOTIC!

Old 07-30-2017
Apprentice

That housing is a ticking time bomb, get the aluminum housing and forget about it. Yes it is expensive compared to the Mark Fields plastic one. But cheaper than an engine replacement.I think I got mine from Amazon.
Old 07-30-2017
PONY Member

I have to agree with the Aluminum housing idea, had one for years and never regreted it once. But seeing as how money is tight, run down to autozone or wherever and get a new housing. Just checked, autozone locally in Cali is going for $60. Then save a bit more (like $180) and buy the aluminum one on Amazon or eBay, and forget about it forever.

2005 V6 Convertible
Old 07-31-2017
PONY Member

+1 on the title of this thread. THAT"S WHAT SHE SAID

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
Old 07-31-2017
Apprentice

Odds are pretty good that it's the T-stat housing. It's a high-failure item in the Cologne 4.0L V6 found in the Ranger, Explorer, Sport Trac, and Mustang. I had to replace the one in my '04 Sport Trac back in about 2008 or 2009, before the metal ones were available. If it had been around back then, I'd have spent the extra $$$ for it, because it's a one-and-done proposition. I have a 2008 Mustang 4.0 with about 34K miles on her. No problems with the T-stat housing so far, but I plan to buy one of these soon anyway, because I'm sure that the plastic one will fail sometime in the future.

There's one guy that makes the aluminum housings. He sells them on eBay and Amazon. Here are the links to his listings for the Mustang 4.0:

eBay: 2005-2010 mustang 4.0 metal thermostat housing

Amazon: 2005-2010 Mustang Metal V6 4.0 Thermostat Housing/water Outlet

2008 Mustang Convertible-Warriors In Pink edition
-1 of only 1,382 WIP Mustangs built in 2008
-1 of only 58 Silver Metallic WIP Mustang
convertibles
-Possibly 1 of 1 (only known 2008 WIP with
elements of the 2009 WIP package: pink hood
stripes, 2009 WIP rocker ribbon, and billet grille
FRPP CAI, FRPP V6 Touring Dual Exhaust, Bama Tunes, Jerry's P&P TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cooling system , diy , thermostat housing , water pump

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in