Oil or transmisison fluid leak? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Oil or transmisison fluid leak?

I just replaced my clutch and all the parts associated with it (2005 mustang V6). I also replaced the rear main seal and the transmission fluid. About a week later the car was leaking what I thought was oil because I was thinking I did not install the rear main seal properly. But when I checked the oil with the dipstick I was not losing any. Also, whenever oil leaks it stains the garage floor and driveway. But there was no stain after a couple of days. A couple of weeks went by because I was driving a different car. I get an airbag recall letter and thought the Ford dealership could check the fluid leak when they did the airbag. The Ford dealership told me there was play in the crankshaft and it did not matter about the rear mail seal it was going to leak anyway. To get it repaired or engine replaced it was going to cost $6500 which is more than the car is worth. I get the car home and after a couple of hours I check the oil again and there is no loss of oil. Jacked up the car and the oil(?) is everywhere on the transmission. I am wondering if I used too much transmission fluid. I was also wondering how they know there is play in the crankshaft without taking the transmission off?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 07-31-2017
Apprentice

Play in the crankshaft with no tear down, really! Was the engine knocking? Find another dealer This one is pissing on your back and trying to tell you it's raining.

Last edited by hobojack; 08-01-2017 at 09:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page