• 1 Post By 85_Ranger4x4
  • 1 Post By Beechkid
  • 1 Post By JBert

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

Pros & Cons of Urethane bushings and such

Hey all,

Been mulling the idea around for a while as I know my stock rubber suspension parts are slowly deteriorating. So I would like to hear the opinions of people that have done Energy Suspension and/or Prothane bushings, and what they like or disliked about them. Any added noise? Best/worst experiences, etc?

My '05 V6 convertible is my daily driver and I plan on keeping it a long time as such. Any constructive opinions would be greatly appreciated.

2005 V6 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017
Rookie

Urethane is stiffer, more stable and should last longer. Depending on where it is and what it is doing it may require a special grease to keep it from squeaking.

For a dd your '05's rubber should still be in great shape unless you have a ton of miles on it.

MirageII likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017
BOSS Member

For body mounts, IMHO< I would keep the oem style units. Urethane while great for stiffening things up, in a street vehicle, it takes that unibody and increases impact forces in areas that over time (and dependent on road conditions) will be destructive (such as tearing body panels at connection points, etc.) and it's not exactly a "nice ride"...... ona longer trip, you will feel it yourself from a standpoint that it is physically tiring as compared to the less less harshness of the oem style bushings. As far as sway bar bushings, etc., sure, go for it.... it will be a bit of improved handing and you will feel the increased stability but the general NVH aspects will be comfortable
MirageII likes this.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-07-2017 Thread Starter
PONY Member

I like where this is going so far, good input.
Right now I have 113k miles on the Mustang, and the roads I drive are pretty average, for California. Not the best, but not the worst.

I was wondering about the stiffness of urethane. Like you implied, it might be great for sway bars, maybe too harsh for daily driver control arms and such, and definitely not the best choice for motor or body mounts. (Which I hadn't even considered, so thank you very much).

Keep them coming please!

2005 V6 Convertible
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-08-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I have not changed them out yet myself; but my 2010 with 95K miles is due for the control arm bushings to be replaced. I would think the bushings on the 2005 car would be pretty shot by now, even with less mileage, simply due to age.

I will go with the harder urethane bushings because my car is becoming more track oriented and I want to tighten everything up, even if it does cause some increased NVH.

If you want to maintain the OEM ride and handling, in other words do NOT want to tighten or stiffen it up, then go with the OEM bushings.

Don't worry about the body mounts, generally we are not talking about those and I never heard of anyone replacing those.
MirageII likes this.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page