Ford Mustang Forum

Ford Mustang Forum (/forums/)
-   2005-2010 V6 Mustang Tech (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/)
-   -   Boyz, help (iNtOxIcAtEd): Engine KNOCKING Right Valve Cover (https://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/2005-2010-v6-mustang-tech/1041049-boyz-help-intoxicated-engine-knocking-right-valve-cover.html)

RBD. 09-13-2017 03:20 AM

Boyz, help (iNtOxIcAtEd): Engine KNOCKING Right Valve Cover

First of all, I'm currently drinking myself to sleep due to the daunting idea of having my engine pulled for a repair; this car is my daily driver.

It all began today with a routine oil change ...

I started my engine as usual, except something was amiss; there was a very noticeable knocking sound emanating from the right side of the engine, which I was able to pinpoint to the back of the passenger side valve cover. I allowed the car to idle for about 5 minutes and the knocking continued throughout that duration of time. I powered the car down and changed the oil.

After changing the oil, when I started the car again, the knocking was present at startup for the first few seconds, but disappeared for about 30 seconds and then returned again. Again, I let the car idle for about 5 minutes and the knocking persisted. I turned the car off to prevent engine damage in the case that something has seriously ****** up internally.

What do you boys think is going on? Has anyone experienced an issue like this before? What's the worst case scenario?

Details: 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC, 103,000 miles.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/46/4a...7850f2bc95.gif

Dana W 09-13-2017 10:39 AM

Define knocking. Is it knocking as in a deep thumping, or a tapping clacking higher pitched click?

Worst case scenario, deep thump MIGHT indicate a spun big end Connecting rod bearing which allows the connecting rod to knock back and forth on the crank. Mucho worst case.

Best case scenario, ticking might be as simple as a dirty fuel injector.

There are at least a dozen other things in between.

RBD. 09-14-2017 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dana W (Post 8973145)
Define knocking. Is it knocking as in a deep thumping, or a tapping clacking higher pitched click?

Worst case scenario, deep thump MIGHT indicate a spun big end Connecting rod bearing which allows the connecting rod to knock back and forth on the crank. Mucho worst case.

Best case scenario, ticking might be as simple as a dirty fuel injector.

There are at least a dozen other things in between.

I wouldn't describe it as a high pitch sound, such as clicking. It's sort of a deeper pitch knocking, though not extremely deep. I wouldn't really say it's producing a deep thumping. It seems to be a surface level sound like it's coming from the chain maybe. Also, no check engine light or any other warning indicators.

RBD. 09-28-2017 12:05 AM

UPDATE: Unfortunately, as I was suspecting, it turns out the timing chain guide/cassette broke. As a result, the engine needs to come out. This, obviously, is a costly repair. I'm thinking the most cost-efficient solution would be putting in a used engine. I have access to a 2007 4.0 SOHC with 100k on it. What do you guys reckon?

In regard to replacing the engine, I hear the 2005 4.0 differs slightly from 2006-2010 (e.g., the flex plate and torque converter). Now, my question is: I can just swap those components over from my old engine and shouldn't have an issue, correct? Any advice would be extremely helpful.