Boyz, help (iNtOxIcAtEd): Engine KNOCKING Right Valve Cover - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Exclamation Boyz, help (iNtOxIcAtEd): Engine KNOCKING Right Valve Cover

First of all, I'm currently drinking myself to sleep due to the daunting idea of having my engine pulled for a repair; this car is my daily driver.

It all began today with a routine oil change ...

I started my engine as usual, except something was amiss; there was a very noticeable knocking sound emanating from the right side of the engine, which I was able to pinpoint to the back of the passenger side valve cover. I allowed the car to idle for about 5 minutes and the knocking continued throughout that duration of time. I powered the car down and changed the oil.

After changing the oil, when I started the car again, the knocking was present at startup for the first few seconds, but disappeared for about 30 seconds and then returned again. Again, I let the car idle for about 5 minutes and the knocking persisted. I turned the car off to prevent engine damage in the case that something has seriously ****** up internally.

What do you boys think is going on? Has anyone experienced an issue like this before? What's the worst case scenario?

Details: 2005 Mustang 4.0L SOHC, 103,000 miles.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-13-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Define knocking. Is it knocking as in a deep thumping, or a tapping clacking higher pitched click?

Worst case scenario, deep thump MIGHT indicate a spun big end Connecting rod bearing which allows the connecting rod to knock back and forth on the crank. Mucho worst case.

Best case scenario, ticking might be as simple as a dirty fuel injector.

There are at least a dozen other things in between.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-14-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana W View Post
Define knocking. Is it knocking as in a deep thumping, or a tapping clacking higher pitched click?

Worst case scenario, deep thump MIGHT indicate a spun big end Connecting rod bearing which allows the connecting rod to knock back and forth on the crank. Mucho worst case.

Best case scenario, ticking might be as simple as a dirty fuel injector.

There are at least a dozen other things in between.
I wouldn't describe it as a high pitch sound, such as clicking. It's sort of a deeper pitch knocking, though not extremely deep. I wouldn't really say it's producing a deep thumping. It seems to be a surface level sound like it's coming from the chain maybe. Also, no check engine light or any other warning indicators.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-28-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

UPDATE: Unfortunately, as I was suspecting, it turns out the timing chain guide/cassette broke. As a result, the engine needs to come out. This, obviously, is a costly repair. I'm thinking the most cost-efficient solution would be putting in a used engine. I have access to a 2007 4.0 SOHC with 100k on it. What do you guys reckon?

In regard to replacing the engine, I hear the 2005 4.0 differs slightly from 2006-2010 (e.g., the flex plate and torque converter). Now, my question is: I can just swap those components over from my old engine and shouldn't have an issue, correct? Any advice would be extremely helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
2005 ford mustang v6 , 4.0 sohc , engine knocking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page