With the upcoming of winter, why we should still run auto air conditioner? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

With the upcoming of winter, why we should still run auto air conditioner?

It used to be true that it was a good idea to run your AC every few weeks in the winter, just to keep the seals in good condition. I suspect this may no longer be needed due to improvement in materials, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows.Noticed the Winter A/C Maintenance here, we should still run auto air conditioner in winter?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017
Apprentice

Garage
Doesn't the AC compressor run when you run the defroster, to dehumidify the interior and defog the windows?

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017
BOSS Member

YES!!!!! as long as the compressor is activated by either AC or heat settings, it's being exercised....and that is necessary to keep the seals in good shape and keep the vanes the same.

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

I run my A/C almost all winter, but then I live in Florida. Even then it does get cold once in a while.

I normally do run heat and A/C at the same time when its cold. It keeps the inside air dehumidified, and the windshield clear. If it's warm in the car and cold outside, the inside of the windshield will fog up from just breathing if it's not set on Def. And yup, the A/C comes on when you set the switch to Defog/Defrost.

The night Irma moved in with us, I needed a Defrog setting. Some of my neighbors still need a Degator setting.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-29-2017
Apprentice
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlBiz View Post
It used to be true that it was a good idea to run your AC every few weeks in the winter, just to keep the seals in good condition. I suspect this may no longer be needed due to improvement in materials, but I'd like to hear from someone who knows.Noticed the Winter A/C Maintenance here, we should still run auto air conditioner in winter?
I run my A/C often in the late fall, winter and early spring. It is great at removing water from air inside the passenger cabin. Windshield fogged up, run the A/C and direct it out the "defrosting" vents on the dash.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page