Low, Quiet thudding sound - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Low, Quiet thudding sound

After hitting a curb 30ish mph, got a low and quiet thudding sound(very slight vibration) on my front driver's side wheel. looked under around the strut and wheel. Rims on driver's side were both chipped but I don't think it's a bent wheel, I'd definitely be feeling more rumbling. Strut knocked out of place maybe?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017
PONY Member

Garage
Check out your strut mounts?

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-08-2017
Apprentice

My guess over the inner-web is a broken steel belt in one or both tires

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Strut mounts are fine. I'm hoping it just has something to do with the messed up alignment? I'm getting a 4 wheel alignment tomorrow so hopefully that'll resolve the isssue
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

It's maybe the wop wup wop wup sound of a pinched steel belt causing an out of round tire...

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

After an alignment, wheel balance, and tire rotation....still hearing the sound ): Ford tech rode with me to hear it himself, but even he was a little stumped. Took it back to the shop and check the wheels over and the wheel bearings. Said the only possibility is an unbalanced driveshaft but they weren't really 100% sure. Any ideas?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseperez_s197 View Post
After an alignment, wheel balance, and tire rotation....still hearing the sound ): Ford tech rode with me to hear it himself, but even he was a little stumped. Took it back to the shop and check the wheels over and the wheel bearings. Said the only possibility is an unbalanced driveshaft but they weren't really 100% sure. Any ideas?

If not tire or wheel related then what comes to mind I am thinking wheel bearings or maybe control arms? Although you say they checked bearings as well said no issue there? So wheels/tires balanced good and tech thinks tires are fine and intact? I would look at control arms.

Driveshaft? Not sure about that, but def no expert in that or this area in general. How hard you hit the curb? Also did you go all though way up and over it? Any scrapes on the undercarriage? Knowing how bad this was might help us as well with suggestions.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hit the curb front driver's side first, went up and over all the way and ended up facing the opposite direction I was going. Control arms look normal can't really tell all along the undercarriage though. Hit the curb at about 25-30mph(it was either take a head on or go over the curb). I'll take some pics later tonight
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Honestly don't really have the money for this crap so a simple fix would be great.
PONY Member

Quote:
Honestly don't really have the money for this crap so a simple fix would be great.
Is the thud sound speed dependent? I mean does it get quicker in frequency when you go faster. Since you hit driver's side and ended up facing backwards could it be the passenger side wheel?

If the car is okay to drive suggest you have someone in a vehicle in front and then in back as close as possible to look your wheels over as they rotate. Straight wheel but bent axle in rear or damaged and sloppy tie rod end perhaps? Have observer look for wobbling wheel on any corner.

Good luck and all the best.

2014 Gray Mustang

GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Comprehensive insurance should cover this after your deductible. It is the actual result of a traffic accident.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Yea.... but my insurance would go up?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-19-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Here's a really crappy vid I took of the driveshaft
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Yea.... but my insurance would go up?
So what have you gotten back from all those premiums up until now?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-21-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Dana I'm not sure what you mean by your question. But I jacked the car up myself and shook the wheels. Front passenger side had some slight side to side wobble and when I spun it with my hands it made a quiet grinding noise. Does this mean the Dealership was wrong about it being a wheel bearing?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page