Question about codes and fuel pump - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Question about codes and fuel pump

Ok my 2006 mustang sat for almost two years i can get it to turn over n if you pour some gas up front it will start n i can rev it up but as soon as tgat gas is gone it dies ... We ordered a new knock sensor cuz mice chewed the wires but have not found any other chewed wires .. Replaces a couple vacuume lines n today replaced the fuel filter.. .. I put $15 worth of gas in it because fuel light was on when i parked it also put a can of seafoam in the tank with the gas.. The thing is my gas guage is still reading that my tank is empty n the following codes are coming up
P0161
P0191
P0102
P0446
Im a girl n don't know a whole lot about cars ive had mustangs since i started driving
Any ideas on things i can try testing before trying to replace fuel pump because a lot of what ive read on here isnt pointing to fuel pump .. Could missplaced vacuume lines be an issue.. Maybe faulty connection on the new knock sensor? (Considering i did it myself) ...when id get it to run at idle as soon as i hit the gas it would die .. The gas gauage isnt working .. Im looking for ideas on what to test .. The fuel pump fuse was blown i replaced that .. Im just trying to look at all options before going n yanking out the pump .. Please any info would be greatly appreciated i love this car

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-09-2017
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Hopefully someone can interpret those codes for you . . .

I think things are probably gummed up from sitting for so long. The seafoam might help if you can get it in to the system; let the car run at idle for a while.

Also I would replace the fuel filter; that is relatively easy and cheap to do. It could be clogged . . . check youtube for video on how to do it.

EDIT: oops, sorry, I see you already replaced the fuel filter . . . good thing Mirage has more to offer than I did! LOL

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day

Last edited by JBert; 10-10-2017 at 05:49 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2017
PONY Member

Here's some links to the codes you posted:

P0161 - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...2-by-evan-clay

P0191 - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-jamahl-walker

P0102 - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-john-nelson

P0446 - https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...pencer-clayton

First things first. Make sure you have a full charged battery. The fact that it runs at all and doesn't throw a knock sensor code, tells me you did a good job there, don't worry about it. Here's what I would check, in order of importance:

The P0191 - Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Range Performance. This could be because you have a bad fuel pump. Pull your back seat out. Again videos are out there, easy one man/woman job. Turn the ignition on, not start, just on. You should hear the fuel pump whir for a couple seconds. If not, check for blown fuse, or wiring problems. May just be a bad pump after sitting so long, empty, (corrosion). This would be the first thing I check. No fuel, no go. Once you're 100% sure you have fuel, then get back to me. I have lots of expensive experience with this bugger.

The P0102, is MAF sensor low voltage input. Check to see if the airway to the MAF sensor is clear. (No mice or insects nesting). Perhaps get some MAF sensor cleaner and clean the sensor. Plenty of videos on how to do it online. Pretty easy.

P0446 - Evaporative Emission control system vent control circuit malfunction. Hmmm. This could also be why it won't stay running, though unlikely. Normally when the evap system fails, the car will run, poorly, but it will run. I don't hav e a lot of experience with this type of failure, so I'm not going to try to advise here. Let me study up on it.

The P0161 - is Drivers side rear O2 sensor heater malfunction. Could be a wiring problem, or just a bad sensor. But it wouldn't prevent the car from idling. I'd check this one out later, after you get it to idle on it's own. But again, look at the wiring just to be sure. Mice love wires.

Hope this helps a little. Get back to me if I can be of any further assistance.

2005 V6 Convertible

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2019
Rookie

Auto glass is a very vital aspect of your vehicle as it serves as a cosmetic and safety feature in one. However, it can easily become a cause of danger when canada auto repair it becomes damaged and obstructs your vision. So, if you are a car owner, you need to know everything about auto body shop so for you to canada auto make the best decisions about windshield repair and replacement
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page