Ticking Sound From Center of Intake Manifold - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Garage
Ticking Sound From Center of Intake Manifold

2008 Wimpy Pony 4.0l V6/Auto

I'm trying to solve a ticking sound from the center of the upper intake. The car is idling low once it warms up (500 rpms) and cuts out for just a second now and then while idling which appears to be getting worse. The ticking sound increases in volume as the revs increase, at idle, it sounds pretty unassuming but consistent. Most of the info I'm finding is from high mileage cars and I highly doubt this is a wear issue. On cold start it doesn't kick in until the the computer doohickeys let the idle drop.

-PCV valve has a little grease type build up on the outside so its possible that it's leaking a little, but that doesn't explain the noise from intake on it's own. Is there a solenoid/valve/other moving part somewhere inside the manifold or am I just hearing the noise there? I would just swap it but it's $70 for OEM quality locally

-I doubt it's related if you put the electrical system under high demand (roll the window up while it's already up) the engine guts down a little bit if you're idling.

The car has 37,xxx miles and my GF is the original owner. It has been maintained better than most cars and she drives it easy. She commutes in her Escape so I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling about how much the car has sat in the garage (sometimes for a month or more), otherwise it's basically a new car.

**Disclaimer:
1. I'm picky about how engines run and I may not have a realistic expectation of how smooth this car should run so the occasional random idle drop/cut out may be normal for this intake/injection system...but i seriously hope not.

2. The only Fords I've owned and worked on were old tractors, powerstrokes, or big blocks. I have not had time to identify all of the things Ford used to make this car turn smog to unicorn farts, so if there is anything unique please explain before I break it or waste time on it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017
PONY Member

Ok, as you've been told, having a car sit is as bad if not worse than daily driving. In this case in particular I don't think the low miles count very much. The ticking could be from valve train wear, rocker or valve tip. If you let the car sit for more than a day or two without running, the oil has a chance to run back into the crankcase leaving the upper head virtually dry. So you start the car with little or no lubrication in the top end, and the first few seconds can cause more wear than hundreds of miles of driving. I'm not saying this IS your problem, but it is a possibility. It could also be a sticky fuel injector. It could be a misfire from a bad spark plug or wire. Could be a lot of things. Is the engine throwing any codes?, check engine light? etc?

I have an '05 4.0 convertible, It's my daily driver. I bought it with 64k miles, and it's had it's share of problems. Like my CD player did the same as yours about 3 weeks after I bought it. I've had fuel injectors go bad, fuel pump issues, thermostat housing leaks (this model Mustang is notorious for this one so watch for it, it WILL happen), and just 2 weeks ago I had to replace the radiator as it started leaking. But I'm also at 117k miles now. And the whole time I've been happy with this car. It's been frustrating at times, as I was new to the whole computer controlled engine world, but I get it now. Oh, and here lately whenever the AC kicks on the engine dies a little but recovers withing a second or two. So I have that to look into now.

Here's what I would do at this point. Drive it for a week or so. Every day, allowing it fully warm up each time. Take it around town, on the highway, just drive it. Carefully record how it behaves, and after a week, come back with your issues, codes, and suspicions, and I'm sure we can help you out further. Don't give up just yet.

Best of luck!

2005 V6 Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page