2008 mustang engine swap - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

2008 mustang engine swap

Ok so i have a 2008 mustang V6 and i'm looking to do an engine swap i understand that ill need to upgrade alot of the suspension and and rear end as well as a new transmission and i'm not too worried about the cost i can save up money i'm building this for the satisfaction, knowledge, and experience. so my question is what classic V8 engine could i put in the car that would fit reasonably well not looking for high hp so much as i'm looking for the perfect sounding engine. there is just something about the classic V8's that i find attractive.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017
PONY Member
4.6L Member

Two things come to mind...
--if this is to be a street car, check you local and state emissions/inspection laws before pulling the trigger on a swap to an earlier model or different brand engine.
--go to your local cruise in, etc and pick the engine sound you are looking for, find the year, make, size and cam of that motor from the owner...then, scope it on the internet to see if your '08 can handle the dimensions and weight of the desired motor.

Back in the day when men were men and wiring harnesses caught fire (in my late teens and early 20s), I watched a lot of guys spend tons of money and time swapping engines/transmission combinations into all kinds of cars and trucks...it was cool, but drove home some early lessons I am happy to share:
--your engine swap is your own...resale is in the eyes of the buyer
--electrical/electronic systems become more problematic the newer your chassis/car or the further apart the year gap is between engine year/brand and car
--if you don't weld and do not have the proper equipment, you are going to hire a ton of work at $$s per hour
--exhaust systems don't fit
--cooling systems don't fit
--fuel systems may or may not work (easy back when there was one hose...not so much now)
--distributors are in the wrong place and require firewall mods
--power steering and AC mounts are a nightmare
--bellhousings, clutch linkages, shift linkages, throttle linkages, etc etc...all,part of the equation
-- on and on

But, were I to do it, and, $$s and laws not an issue...I'd pick the engine, transmission and rear end I desired, gut the old engine, trans and front/rear suspensions, then have a competent chassis shop build a full chassis for the body shell to accommodate my power train selection. With that heavy and necessary work out of the way, I could then spend my time hunting the pieces needed to complete it, wire things up, etc etc.

Underestimate me, that will be fun.
GREEN WORM RACING--since 1959

These are my opinions...YOU are responsible for YOUR decisions and YOUR outcomes...AND, my not arguing with you does not indicate agreement with your opinion.

Last edited by stormsedge; 12-10-2017 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Spelling
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017
Apprentice

I have to agree with stormsedge. It's a different ballgame today then it was years ago back then it was fun today, one huge headache . And some states you would jump through hoops just to change a cigarette lighter.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-2017
Rookie

Well, you don't have to upgrade anything. If you happen to have access to an appropriate engine at a sharp price, plus the tools and skill to install it, that's one thing. You could just swap engines, mate up your electronics, exhaust, fuel and other systems, and drive it. It could be a fun project and as long as you tread carefully, smaller brakes, lighter suspension pieces and a 7.5" diff shouldn't cause it to explode and shower you with fiery debris. And it would be a great way to learn about the platform.

With that said, if you don't have access to a low-cost engine and plenty of skill and/or cheap labor at your disposal, I'm with the above two posters. Engine swaps on modern cars are loaded with "gotchas". And if you don't budget carefully, the little things will eat you alive; gaskets, fluids, hoses/lines, hardware, you name it. I just did a simple single-to-dual exhaust swap on my '08, and four exhaust hangers alone were $200 from Ford (luckily AM had them for only $100).

Even if you do all your own work, the cost is likely to exceed what it would take to sell your car and buy a comparable GT. In Connecticut, there are only two real advantages to a V6-to-V8 swap over buying a GT; lower insurance cost and property taxes, and your state may not even have personal property taxes.

Consider trading up to a GT or trying some bolt-ons for your 4.0. You could always get a good education by buying a played-out GT and restoring/rebuilding it. At least when you're done, you'll have a relatively trouble-free car that should have a solid resale value and be easy for others to work on. What you're asking about is pretty much the automotive equivalent of a minefield.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Llogoaero2 Send a message via MSN to Llogoaero2 Send a message via Yahoo to Llogoaero2
Thumbs up

Jaylon84, the last paragraph from ctcarl says it all. If you really want to 'learn', then the best way is to overhaul what you have...ie: starting with a V8 and ending up with a V8.

I'm in the same boat as you. I have a base 07' convertible. The difference is, I want to keep mine a V6 and make the it produce more power. Everyone and his dog up here has a GT so I want something a little different.

The other route you could go is to buy a wrecked GT or GT500 that could become a 'donor' car. They are all pretty much the same and depending on what you buy, could actually be a lot of fun and a great learning tool. If you have a spot to work on your car and a spot to keep the donor car, it's the perfect scenario. A little planning could net some rewarding results. If you plan it right, you could remove a component one weekend (say a rear end), clean it up and install it in your car that same weekend(if you're really industrious!) or wait till the next weekend. This allows you time to research the 'how-to's' and you're not rushed or in a panic. It's something to consider.

Look online at the numerous places that sell insurance write offs. There is a big one in the U.S. called COPART. Some you have to go through a broker or have a license but there are some deals to be had.

Good luck with the build!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2017
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylon84 View Post
Ok so i have a 2008 mustang V6 and i'm looking to do an engine swap i understand that ill need to upgrade alot of the suspension and and rear end as well as a new transmission and i'm not too worried about the cost i can save up money i'm building this for the satisfaction, knowledge, and experience. so my question is what classic V8 engine could i put in the car that would fit reasonably well not looking for high hp so much as i'm looking for the perfect sounding engine. there is just something about the classic V8's that i find attractive.
It's great that you don't have to worry about cost. (???)

But, when you end up with a car titled and carfaxed as an '08 V6 in almost as good condition as a readily available '08 GT (or '11-'14, since they look pretty similar) that cost you a few thousand hours and the price of a GT500, will you still feel the same way?

You are definitely biting off a lot more than I would be able to chew. Bon Apetite.

On the other hand, starting with a coyote mustang and doing a substantial modification with the extensive and available suspension and engine bolt-ons may provide a pretty decent amount of satisfaction, knowledge and experience. And, it might be more fun and reliable in the end.

Sorry to sound like such a cowardly Debbie Downer. It's just that I'm frightened by the scope of what you are considering. It would definitely be an impressive and ambitious project to learn on.

All the best in your build.

2014 Gray Mustang

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page