2012 GT500 Brake Swap to 2007 V6 Base - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Llogoaero2 Send a message via MSN to Llogoaero2 Send a message via Yahoo to Llogoaero2
Thumbs up 2012 GT500 Brake Swap to 2007 V6 Base

I was hoping I could get some information about installing 2012 GT500 brakes onto my 2007 4.0 V6 Mustang. There is a salvage yard near me that bought a wrecked 2012 Shelby GT500 Convertible with the performance package and is parting it out. I have worked out a deal to buy the complete brakes including rotors, Brembo 4 piston calipers, front spindles, complete rear brakes and E-brake cables as well as the rear differential and all related components. Swapping out the rear end is no problem. I've done that before on many cars. (I know I need the Cobra pinion flange!) It's the brakes I need guidance with!
Has anyone had any experience completing this type of swap? I've been told the rear brakes are the same as the GT's and since I'm installing the rear end I should have no problem. That's not the problem. It's the massive front Brembo setup.
Is the 2012 essentially still an S197? If so then the front spindles should bolt right on, correct? I've been searching the Ford parts websites and there are a lot of similar parts. I just need to know if there are any parts I need to remove from the 'donor' that might be overlooked? I've been researching this and so far I have found that if my car doesn't have ABS this set up won't work. Unfortunately, my car is in storage and I have no way of telling if it's equipped with ABS. Does anyone know the option code? Also, If I don't have ABS, why will this setup not work?
All input is greatly appreciated.
Lloyd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017
PONY Member

You might run into ebrake cables not being the right length since you're going from a 07 V6 rear set up to a 12' GT500. If so, Lokar probably has something you could make work. I would check to make sure the lower control arms are the same for both vehicles, or at least check that 12' will work on an 07'. If the control arms are the same/interchangeable, then I think it could work. You may have to change/make new brake lines from the caliper to the body. Your car has ABS at least in the front, but may not have 4 wheel ABS. The ABS reluctor ring, or the wheel speed sensor from the 12' may be different from your 07', which could through an ABS light on the dash. Look into that cause if you cant change out the reluctor ring or use the right wheel speed sensor, I don't know how you would make the BCM or ECM communicate properly to make ABS function properly and make ABS work. If you have insurance on your 07' it should say your VIN number on it, and you can decode it the VIN to get information on your cars specs. You can even look up some OEM Ford part websites, type your vin in and it'll show you all parts that fit/work on your year and model. I'm not familiar with this swap or anything, just trying to offer some advice/help. Good luck with it, let us know how it goes!

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Send a message via AIM to Llogoaero2 Send a message via MSN to Llogoaero2 Send a message via Yahoo to Llogoaero2
Stangbang36, appreciate the info. I was looking on the web and I found some info regarding the VIN and to go to a local Ford dealer with the registration. Apparently they will (if you ask nicely!!) give you a printout of the option codes of everything on your vehicle. I think back to how many times I've slid into the seat, started the car and watched the lights come on and go off. Do you think for the life of me I can recall seeing an ABS light!! Nope!!
The guy I bought the parts from is including all the ebrake cables from the handle back, or at least that's what he said. I'll see when I go to pick them up next week. If he does then I think I'll be ok on that front.
It's the ABS thing I'm concerned about! You mentioned my base V6 may have ABS on the front at least but not on all 4. I was unaware that there was front only. If this is the case, I'm getting the front knuckles and hubs from the 2012 which I was told should fit. If they do then I hope that the ABS connectors are the same and the ECM/BCM 'recognizes' it. If not then I go your route and check out a set of GT500 control arms.
I've had people ask me why I'm doing this to a V6 and the answer is simple. I want to see if I can!!
I will take lots of pictures when I do the swap of the brakes as well as the rear end and will give a detailed breakdown of how easy (here's hoping!!) it was!
Thanks

Lloyd

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
your going to need 18" or bigger rims to clear the awesome new brakes up front. IIRC, in 13', Ford upgraded the GT and GT500 to same size rear brake disc 13.8" but same caliper, get the brake lines to if you can, they may be an upgrade. the track pack cars got same big brake kit as GT500. the mounting points should be pretty much the same I.E. panhard bar, LCA's. Ford also changed the UCA and UCA mount in 11' I believe. you should be fine using your UCA and mount for the 12' rearend. you can use 05'-09' UCA and UCA mount together and you can also use 11'-14' UCA and UCA mount. you CAN NOT mix them, so don't use an 05'-09' UCA and 11'-14' UCA mount or viceversa. you will also need to get the rear gearing from the 12' and a handheld programmer (tuner) to change that in the comp so your speedo is close to accurate. up front should be same issue, most of the 12' parts will bolt right up. you do NOT want to use the springs from the GT500 and the struts/shocks will work as well. rear shocks should bolt right up, front struts might as well if they have the GT500 mounts. I think ford changed the upper strut diameter in 11' as well so check that. grab the front and rear sway bars and mounts off the 12' if you can as well, they are thicker/stiffer than the ones on the V6 and GT cars and depending on your car, you might not have a rear sway bar. it only came with the "Pony Package" V6 cars. good luck and great find!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

bl817, thanks for the excellent advise!
I was unaware of the control arm issues. I was just going to use what I have on the car now, as they weren't included in the deal. The rear end is removed from the '12 GT500 and comes complete with all brake lines, rear brakes and rotors, ebrake cables, (from the chassis also) calipers and of course the gears (3.73 perf. pack). He is throwing in the rear springs,adjustable shocks, panhard bar and the rear sway bar and links. It was removed complete as described! The GT500 was a front end hit, so the rt frt strut and spring as well as the sway bar bit it. The front brakes are intact as is the lt frt spring. The rt frt brake line is toast as it got cut in half but aside from that I get everything else including the front hubs/spindles which I was told are undamaged. My question is, if my car doesn't have ABS, can I still use the front brakes? I've been hunting around and everything I've read points to a big negative! I just don't seem to get it? If my car has 4 wheel disc brakes then why can't i use these? I'm no rocket scientist (I only work on aircraft...really!!) but if I have pwr disc brakes with hydraulic calipers, then why can't I install bigger hydraulic calipers? Just wondering why these parts places (AM, CJ's, LMR) sell upgrade kits but only for ABS equipped V6's??
As for the springs, struts and shocks, I ordered V6 specific lowering springs (Vogtland) from a place up here in Canada that's cheaper than anyone else and it's in CDN $$. You guys down south could save a bundle. I'll include the link below. I bought Koni struts and shocks as I've used them before and had no issues. The wheels on the car now are 08' GT500 19's I picked up this summer along with a GT500 hood.
I'm heading down on the 26th to pick everything up and will post pictures of my 'find'. I will also be posting detailed pics of the brake and diff swap come springtime.
Here is the link for the Online parts store up north!! : Buy Auto Parts Online: The Cheapest Auto Parts in Canada!
Thanks again

Lloyd
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Sorry about that, the link didn't seem to work.
I'll try again! https://www.buyautopartsonline.ca/
Cheers
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2017 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up How to Distinguish if a rear end is a Torsen

Ok, so I'm going to be picking up the rear end and the brakes on the day after Christmas and there's one thing I need to know. How do I check to see if this is actually a Torsen rear end? How do I know that It's the real deal? Are there identifying tags or numbers on it to tell beside the finned cover?
Any feed back would be appreciated

Thanks and Merry Christmas to one and all!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page