replacing all coolant hoses - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

replacing all coolant hoses

My '08 has about 125K on the clock, and a while back the little elbow hose coming off the top of the thermostat housing split open in the middle of nowhere, AZ.

Lucky I had a pair of pliers and a swiss army knife and was able to cut a heater hose, bypass the heater and use a chunk of the hose to replace the elbow. I had replaced the plastic therm housing with an aluminum one a few years ago, so at least that didn't split open again.

So I decided to replace all the rubber coolant hoses. Good lord, those heater hoses have plastic connectors up against the firewall under the top body and are almost impossible to get to. Spent over an hour fighting them. Got the bottom one off with my fingers but had to cut the top one off with a dremel tool. Had to lay on the engine and bruised my belly. I guess engineers only think about putting them together, not how hard it will be to get it back off. Also changing out the water pump while I'm at it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I was on the highway when the hose failed. I guess I don't scan my instruments as often as I should because I first noticed the AC blowing hot, and then saw the temp gauge pegged. I lost at least a gallon of coolant. I'm surprised the car doesn't sound an alarm when the temp gets to the "H". If its dark out, the gauge does turn red.
The manual says the GT has a system that shuts off cylinders when it overheats, but not the V6.

I also had installed a Motorad fail safe thermostat, but it failed to lock open as it should have. I tested it later in an oven and the little claws that are supposed to hold it open do engage, but fail to hold it open when it cools back down.

The small hose that goes from water pump to the therm housing was really puffy and soft and its a good thing I'm changing that.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page