Hand brake + more - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Hand brake + more

Hello,
I just picked up an 05 4.0L mustang.....I just found out my ebrake isnít working. It can be pulled up like it should but it doesnít hold the brakes. I canít even park in an incline cause the stang will roll out.how can I fix this? Also my gas needle isnít working ,stays on empty always

1993 White Edition 5.0 LX Vert AOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2018
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Welcome! the parking brake can be adjusted at the handle. however, I would check to make sure 1 or both of the cables aren't snapped or frozen (common issue on early cars). you can pull the rear wheel off and look behind the caliper and follow the cable to its end. it should be taut in the saddle lever that applies the parking brake. if you can, have someone in the car and operating the handle as you watch the lever. as far as the gas needle goes, its most likely the stepper motor (motor that runs the needle), these also are a common issue with "most" of the 05'-09' cars. do a quick google search and youll see what I'm talking about. get however many you need as its best to replace all of them at once. if you don't have soldering skills, remove the cluster and take it to a computer/cell phone repair shop and they should be able to solder them in for cheap. if that doesn't work then the sender in the tank might be bad. id start with the cluster and go from there. good luck

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018
Rookie

Garage
Whats up to all, I am fairly new to this whole forum things so not sure if this is the right place to post this but here it goes. This morning as I was parking I pulled on my parking brake and realized there is no tension. Got back home pulled off both rear wheels to check the cables going to the rear brakes...fine... I crawled further underneath and saw where the cable is snapped. My question is would I have to replace just the Front Brake Hose or do I have o replace the whole system.
Picture Below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180315_091119.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	29.8 KB
ID:	593978  

JLT Series 3 CAI, Exedy Stage 2 Clutch, Exedy Lightweight Racing Flywheel,Exedy Mach 400 Stage 2 Clutch w/ Hydraulic Throwout Bearing

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-15-2018
GT Member
2.3L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Welcome! you will need to replace the front cable for sure. after that, figure out why it broke, one or both of the rear cables are likely froze. you can spray penetrating oil in them and try to unfreeze them or you can just replace with new. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page