LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Realy???? C'MON MAN!

Well I just got off the phone with my local FORD dealer. I asked the service Mgr "IF" they had heard anything about the Passenger side air bag recall.

I think the recall went out a couple of yrs ago. But any way She had told me that Ford is sending parts to "The most Humid Regions first. And from what she told me is that our location is in Zone B

Wouldn't you think that FORD would want to get this problem resolved sooner? than to have us wait 2+ yrs?

I'm just glad that the pass airbag never had gone off

Like they say on one of those sports stations C'MON MAN!

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-17-2018
PONY Member

There's not much Ford can do. They don't make the airbags, and the airbags aren't limited to Ford. New airbag manufacturer is making airbags for all the new cars being made, and all the old ones that need replacing. I know where I worked (GM), we made roughly a 1,500 vehicles a day. Assuming each plant is similar, that's a **** ton of airbags needed just for new production, plus all the vehicles that need the recall, etc. Airbag manufacturer is probably having one heck of a time keeping up with demand.

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-22-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_stang200 View Post
Well I just got off the phone with my local FORD dealer. I asked the service Mgr "IF" they had heard anything about the Passenger side air bag recall.

I think the recall went out a couple of yrs ago. But any way She had told me that Ford is sending parts to "The most Humid Regions first. And from what she told me is that our location is in Zone B

Wouldn't you think that FORD would want to get this problem resolved sooner? than to have us wait 2+ yrs?

I'm just glad that the pass airbag never had gone off

Like they say on one of those sports stations C'MON MAN!
Sounds like the only way to speed up delivery of the passenger airbag is stick your service advisor in the passenger seat and take a short drive and accidentally smack a lamp standard in their parking lot.

I too am frustrated by the inability to source a safe replacement airbag. To make matters worse Takata filed for bankruptcy last Summer. Supposedly it won't interfere with replacing airbags because competitors are rushing to fill orders for replacements. Which begs the question of quality control.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 GBNF
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-23-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by onez st View Post
sounds like the only way to speed up delivery of the passenger airbag is stick your service advisor in the passenger seat and take a short drive and accidentally smack a lamp standard in their parking lot.

I too am frustrated by the inability to source a safe replacement airbag. To make matters worse takata filed for bankruptcy last summer. Supposedly it won't interfere with replacing airbags because competitors are rushing to fill orders for replacements. Which begs the question of quality control.

aint thatthe truth

"ONX PNY"

RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
PONY Member

There are a lot of airbags to replace. Not just for Mustangs. I keep getting the notices in the mail.

The dealer near my house said they would call me when they got the parts. I called again months later only to find out they had a shipment coming in.

I suggest making a call every couple of months. Or, go to a dealer farther away that might have the parts.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-19-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I live in S/W Florida,and my passenger air bag is on order, and still back ordered.How much further south, and how much more humidity does Ford want me to have to get this fixed. LOL.
5.0 Coyote
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018
Rookie

I am very frustrated over this issue as well. I had an appointment scheduled with a dealer 2 weeks in advance to have the driver's replaced and when I got there they let me sit in the waiting area for over an hour. Came out and told me my thermostat housing was cracked and gave me an outrageous estimate. Then I said, "so the airbag is replaced and the oil change is done?" they replied, "the oil change is done but we are out of airbags - we ran out this morning". So you let me wait for an hour for NO REASON and the first thing you come out and tell me about is another repair BEFORE you tell me you can't do what I came in for? Had the thermostat housing replaced by a local mechanic for half of Ford's quote and needless to say, when I went back when they finally got an airbag in, I stood at the door and watched them fix it. Don't let anyone fool you either about needing the car for a day or hours - it literally takes 5 minutes. As for the passenger fix, I continue to call every few months and ask about it. These cars are already limited in space. They are advising us to not have a passenger in the front?! Ridiculous IMHO. Maybe if they quit wasting money on postage to send out notice after notice after notice they could get somewhere lol. I literally have a stack almost an inch thick of mail outs regarding the airbag recalls.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-17-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
S197 Member

I live in Florida,I just got my 2011 Mustang GT and my friends 2011 Shelby GT 500 passengers side airbags replaced, took 12 days.Have your FORD Dealer order the airbag against you VIN # that's the key to getting this job done.
5.0 Coyote
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-19-2018
PONY Member

Fun update here. I brought mine in a couple weeks ago to get the driver airbag replaced. They replaced the driver airbag and happened to have a passenger airbag. Or so they thought. Turns out, they put in the wrong part on the passenger side only to have me drag myself back in so they can put the old one back in. Now the driver airbag rattles and they bent a bracket on the passenger side. I'm not happy.

Things to watch out for with these airbag replacements:
  1. Rattle on steering wheel from improper installation.
  2. Improper installation on passenger side. The panel might not sit flush.
5.0 Coyote likes this.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-24-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I Finally got my recall letter last week, Called my local dealer to see IF they had gotten the part yet. the Service Mgr looked in their store room for 10 mins No parts as of yet .She said " the parts should have came in on the 19th) but no so they are going to call me when they come in.

still playing the JEPORDY music in my head till I get he .

"ONX PNY"

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
Update...... called two different dealers today Dealer #1 need VIN# to order part

Dealer #2 No mention of VIN but said the parts will be in around 4/15

JEPORDY theme still playing

"ONX PNY"

Apprentice

Just had my 07 pass.side airbag inflator replaced this morning. In at 8:15am and out on the road at 9:00am. So from the first notice July 2015 till April 2018 it is finished.
s197gt, yellstang05 and 5.0 Coyote like this.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018 Thread Starter
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
UPDATE: had the pass airbag replaced last Thursday in at 11 out 1135

"ONX PNY"

Rookie

Yes, the recall is outstanding on mine, per the Car Fax. Dealer has shown no enthusiasm for getting my car in to fix. I imagine 'supply' is the reason. I do like the idea of taking the service advisor for a ride and hitting a light pole, however.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page