Do people put duel exhaust on an automatic? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Do people put duel exhaust on an automatic?

Hello! First time mustang and poster. I recently purchased a 2009 v6 auto and was wondering if people normally add dual exhaust. I wasn't sure if it is silly or not to try it or if that is a mod typically better of on a manual. Don't wanna get laughed at because it's an automatic. Would it sound much different than a manual? I'm not very mechanically inclined so am a bit unsure.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018
PONY Member

Whether it's an auto or manual has no difference. It's more of a V8 vs V6 thing. The fact you have an auto has no bearing on what it will sound like though.

EDIT: Grats and welcome to the site too!

2014 Mustang GT Premium 401a; "Now you can add Premium to your signature." - Thereaper
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018
Apprentice
Classic Member

My wife last car was a Mercury Milan with V6, Auto and factory duals. Running little car.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-04-2018
PONY Member

Lincoln MKZ 4 cyl 6 cel and hybrid has dual dual tips so there you go. I believe there are a ton of dual kits for the sixes. some include a new rear panel others don't.

I'D RATHER GO SLOW THAN NOT GO AT ALL
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-05-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

yes people do put dual exhaust on V6's ; transmission is not relevant, as has already been mentioned

but please don't just make it loud; that can be really bad with a V6 . . . need to pay attention to the tone or "note" of the exhaust, more than the volume or loudness

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-06-2018
PONY Member
2.3L Member

On the 07 V6 I once had, I put a stock GT muffler on the one side,,,, It was enough for me, louder, but not to loud, and sounded good. Simple 20 minute install. I can't do it that easily with my 2011.

2007 4.0 V6 Mustang, Victim of Black Ice
1989 2.3 Fastback, traded for:
2011 3.7 Pony Package, Traded for:
2018 GT 5.0 Premium
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-07-2018
PONY Member

Garage
I put Ford Racing dua exhaust on a 2007 V6 that I previously owned. Had the dealer install them before I took possession of the car. Got lots of complements on the sound.

2006 GT, Strut Tower Brace, Gas Hood Struts, FR Intake Plenum cover, Metal Fuse Box cover, Moroso brake reservoir cover, Rear shock tower brace, Front Bumper Lip Spoiler, JVC DVD Head unit w/ back-up camera, satellite Radio and USB input, 2 - 12" sub-woofers, 4 - 6"x8" speakers, 2 - 6.5" speakers to replace the door subs, 3 amplifiers, LED lights under the hood and in the trunk, chrome e-handle on parking brake handle, chrome cup holder trim, and trunk lid cover with running pony emblem.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Don't waste your money on dual exhaust. Just get a GT takeoff muffler and run single. The only engine mod worth the money on a 4.0 V6 auto is a Bama tuner. Spend your dough on cosmetics, suspension and tires.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-21-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I have duals on ONX (pypes) Had JBA's on my '06. just saving my $$ for a tuner

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Rookie

Dunno that auto vs. manual has anything to do with it, except that Ford does use different mufflers for auto vs. manual GTs, at least on S197s.

I can tell you that I decided about five minutes after buying my '08 automatic that, in my view, there are way too many wrong-wheel-drive, four cylinder econoboxes running around with duals (well, splitters really) for any Mustang to have a single, rusty tailpipe poking out on one side.

I went with a set of manual GT takeoffs myself. I think it improved both the looks and the sound substantially. As far as performance, eh, who knows? Maybe a minor improvement, along with slightly better gas mileage.

The downsides for me were; high cost (crazy expensive hangers), drone and buzzing inside (fairly well controlled with insulation under the rear seat and trunk mat), and annoyed neighbors.

Apparently quite a few folks have gone with single GT takeoffs. Very quick, easy, and usually dirt cheap swap for better sound and a nice polished exhaust tip.

YMMV!
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperz View Post
Hello! First time mustang and poster. I recently purchased a 2009 v6 auto and was wondering if people normally add dual exhaust. I wasn't sure if it is silly or not to try it or if that is a mod typically better of on a manual. Don't wanna get laughed at because it's an automatic. Would it sound much different than a manual? I'm not very mechanically inclined so am a bit unsure.

Thanks in advance!
Auto VS Stick with duals - Only difference is the sound of the shifts. While driving "Soccer Mom normal", shifting takes longer with a stick shift. Also, there is no appreciable "Downshift Deceleration Burbble" with an auto transmission.

The biggest hair in the Kahlua & cream with changing to duals on a V6 Mustang, is either cutting or replacing the rear bumper cover.

(If you've ever found a hair in your Kahlua & cream, you know how it is.)

(I just realized "Soccer Mom Normal" is an oxymoron.)

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page