Can I get a good replacement hood anywhere? - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MustangLife

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Can I get a good replacement hood anywhere?

Is there anywhere to get a good replacement hood? Mine is getting to corroded. Cervani hoods sound like they have good quality, but their designs are too loud for me, and I don't want a big Cowl design that will block the already limited visibility out the windshield. I'd like to get the factory design if possible. Any other options? (besides from Ford, who wants $1500, and I'm nervous to put another aluminum hood on the car as the current one hasn't lasted.)

If I can't find any other options, I'll probably get the Cervini Cobra R style (https://www.cervinis.com/10-12mustang-cobra-r-hood.html), but I don't like how I'd lose visibility with this hood.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
For a factory hood look on your local craigslist and sites like that. Maybe even eBay. These will have the best deals. Lots of people take them off and sell when they upgrade to a aftermarket hood.

As far as Cervini I purchased a hood and a couple other things from them many years. Easy to work with/order, shipped fast and nice, and also the painter didn't complain to much so they must have painted well. I remember there was some orange peel on it, but the painter said he could redo down the road if I wanted. I didn't ever take him on up as I didn't keep the car long after I did the work. (Long story...) I would buy from again if in the market for aftermarket body parts.

Most of the site sponsors sell hoods like Cervini's and others as well. Some might sell factory like options as well. I am sure less than the Ford quote. Is the $1500 for painted and installed I would hope? Either way sounds high. If I am recalling I paid maybe a couple hundred bucks for the hood to be painted. I paid somewhere around $500 to have hood painted/installed and minor front bumper touch ups. Of course hood purchase not included in the $500. Either way $1500 sounds high, but just my .02. Maybe call around a couple Ford dealers as they can always ship to a painter.

Whats wrong with current hood just out of curiosity? Have you checked around to see if it can be repaired? I ask as it seems you want to keep factory look anyway.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

My current hood top has several spots where paint is bubbling. The bottom has it really bad. My local body shop said if they fixed it, it would likely come right back, so I'm looking for a new hood altogether.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018
V6 Member
4.6L Member
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinson23 View Post
My current hood top has several spots where paint is bubbling. The bottom has it really bad. My local body shop said if they fixed it, it would likely come right back, so I'm looking for a new hood altogether.
As in they think it will come back due to how they repair the hood or just the way the manufactured designed it? I know this is a common problem on these cars and if you do a search there is a couple threads talking about how to prevent it and I think maybe even correct it. Something to do with the how the battery is grounded or lack of grounding causes the issue if I recall correctly.
scotmo likes this.

Current Garage
(11.)2012 GT500 silver with red stripe, SVT performance package, and Recaro seats.
2018 Honda Civic Type R
Past Mustangs in order and color of text.
(1.)2000, (2.)2004, (3.)2006GT/Auto traded for (4.)2006GT/Manual, (5.)1996, (6.)2011GT, (7.)2003GT, (8.)2006GT, (9)2013 Boss 302, and (10.) 2002GT
(I have owned a few non Mustang cars over the years as well, but always try to have a Mustang with it or come quickly back to a Mustang!)
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018
Apprentice

Garage
I stumbled into this section by accident, I have a 2014, and clicked on this thread when I saw it. I found some of the comments interesting because my car seems to be showing similar symptoms. I thought it odd that it was limited to the hood. I will have to search for some of the other threads mentioned. I called Ford about it thinking there might be some coverage with the 5 yr, unlimited mileage corrosion warranty but it oddly doesn't cover rust, only perforated metal. No hole, no coverage.

On the surface (no pun intended) it sounds like the nature of the beast.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180410_104110.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	401.1 KB
ID:	597562   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180410_104116.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	425.9 KB
ID:	597570  
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-10-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

There is a company that makes a carbon fiber hood that is the same design as the factory hood; it comes prefinished (black with visible carbon fiber) for around $1,000 IIRC. That is about the price of a good repaint on the old hood . . .

I think I saw it on a different forum, will try to remember where I saw it and get the info.

Meanwhile you should look in some of the other sections of this forum, like the 2011-2014 general discussion section.

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2018
GT Member
Classic Member
V6 Member
S197 Member

Garage
I had the same problem with my hood. I priced out hoods on ebay/cervinis ect but I found the hood I really likes at cruzin concepts wholesale .com

The hood I bought (you can see it in my sig pic) was $400.00 shipped to the body shop of my choice
sure was a lot cheeper than the OEM hood witch was a grand

"ONX PNY"

2009 MUSTANG (45TH Aniversary) premium w/pony package.
AUTO, Leather, IUP, Kenwood DDX393/Speakers
A.M Bullitt wheels W/custom center caps
RAXIOM RETRO'S Black turn signals/Tinted rear bumper lights cobra Roadster hood that's functional and many other mods

Yes I know my user name doesn't match my car color

1966 coupe 289 2V C code factory BENCH/P/S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page