05 auto <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> oil change - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
05 auto trans oil change

I have about 4 months with my s197 and prob put around +3k miles on it(123k total).I haven’t done a trans oil change. I am scared if I do I might end up messing it up and causing it to start slipping. Is there any symptoms or signs that a trans is on its way out due to not changing its trans oil ? I don’t know the color of it or level.

1993 White Edition 5.0 LX Vert AOD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-25-2018
BOSS Member

1st, don't be scared, it's really no different than changing engine oil !

With 100k+, drop the pan and change the filter (most just pop into place), reinstall the pan (gasket is reusable) and fill with 4 quarts or so until it shows full on the stick (I'm assuming you have an ATF fluid level stick)....then DC 1 cooler line and run the hose into a 5 gallon bucket, have a friend fire up the engine and when you have dumped about 3-4 qts, shut off the engine & refill.....the owners manual will have the capacities, but when you have pushed that quantity out....your change is done!

:hello:
Member: Never trust a person over 40 who drives a Chevy club
Flatheads ain't so bad!
Certified backyard mechanic I & II
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Thanks for your response, I’ve done a lot of trans oil changes on “new edge” stangs with no prob. But with these s197s there’s no dipstick so refilling is the hard part. Where can I find the fitting that goes inside the plug ? I have already purchased the filter, oils, and hand pump .

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
Anybody have a link to the special fitting that goes on the transmission pan where the plug was removed ??? I believe a t-30 torx bit socket is used for that specific plug.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018 Thread Starter
Apprentice

Garage
After an hour of research i found out I need the OTC 6604 transmission fluid adapter that goes for $20 on Walmart or Amazon. There is a cheaper option , I can go to AutoZone and buy the brass pipe hose connector for $3 !&#x1f603;....... But I am lost I'm not sure if the size of the threaded bolt end ,needs to be 1/8, 1/4, or 1/16......... does anyone know the size of the threaded entry ??? Hope it makes sense

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018
08'MustangDude

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 06-05-2018 at 06:34 AM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Sometimes healthy debate is good so I will say another option is to have a competent repair shop or Ford Service flush it vs replacing the screen and refill. It doesn't require dropping the <acronym title="transmission">trans</acronym> pan or replacing the filter. The owners manual is silent on flushing so it is not required maintenance but a personal option.

There are owners who will advise against flushing the transmission. I worked where the fleet of CVIs were flushed every 30,000 miles and there were no ill affects. I've had my GT flushed once without any problems.

Whatever type of service you opt for, or wish to do it yourself or have a shop service it, do you know for a fact the previous owner did not already service the transmission.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018
08'MustangDude

Last edited by 08'MustangDude; 06-05-2018 at 06:41 AM.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018
GLOBAL MODERATOR
5.0L Member
S197 Member

Your point applies if the machine is reverse flush. However, most shops use machines that are directional flow and do not reverse the normal fluid flow.

It would be wise to inquire what equipment and procedure the shop uses because there are different flush processes such as the cooler lines and also the pump inlet (pan off). Using a solvent to remove varnish is also an option with the flush, but unless the transmission has a lot of hard miles on it I wouldn't recommend it.

The one benefit of a flush is it allows the technician to see what has been flushed out vs trying to get a snap shot by looking at just a filter.

Is this overkill; maybe, maybe not. In no situation flush the transmission if it is showing signs of failure because flushing is not a repair procedure and will accelerate its death. It is strictly an elective maintenance procedure to keep the system clean and fresh.

----------------------------
2012 Mustang GT, Roush 2300 Black
2006 Mustang V6 Manual Legend Lime Sold
2019 Charger Scat Pack White
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 060 RIP
2016 Jeep Willys Silver Vin 059 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page