Will wheels from 2011 Mustang GT fit my 05 V6? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Will wheels from 2011 Mustang GT fit my 05 V6?

Hi, all. I purchased an 05 V6 premium convertible in March. Only thing I don't love about it is the 16" wheels. I found these 18" wheels from a 2011 Mustang GT on my local Craigslist. Will these fit my 05 without modifications? I think my car would look great with these. I understand my speedo will be a little off if I go with the larger diameter wheels. I'd buy new tires if I bought the wheels. Currently the wheels have 235/50r/18 tires.

Thanks for the help.
julian

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011 Mustang GT wheels.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	599577  

Last edited by Porto2014=; 04-30-2018 at 11:22 AM. Reason: add tire size
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018
Apprentice

Garage
This article discusses changing wheel sizes.

Even though they have a tire/wheel calculator link in the article, I prefer to use this one.

2010 Kona Blue GT Premium traded in June 2016 for a 2016 Oxford White GT Premium with Ceramic interior. Automatic transmission, Sync3, p265/35r20 tires, Shaker audio system. Other vehicles 1964 Pontiac Catalina 389, 1972 Pontiac Lemans 400, 1967 Ford F-100 352, 2016 Ford F-350 Dually, 2003 Ford Crown Victoria LX.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018 Thread Starter
Rookie

Thanks, Kraig. If I read all that correctly, the answer is, 'Yes'.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018
SHELBY GT 350 Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

You might need to change your steering stop to prevent rubbing at full lock steering; other than that they should fit fine

| 2010 GT coupe | Daily Driver with some Steeda and GT500 take-off stuff for the occasional track day
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018
GT Member
4.6L Member
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porto2014= View Post
Hi, all. I purchased an 05 V6 premium convertible in March. Only thing I don't love about it is the 16" wheels. I found these 18" wheels from a 2011 Mustang GT on my local Craigslist. Will these fit my 05 without modifications? I think my car would look great with these. I understand my speedo will be a little off if I go with the larger diameter wheels. I'd buy new tires if I bought the wheels. Currently the wheels have 235/50r/18 tires.

Thanks for the help.
julian
It's the overall diameter of the tire that messes with the speedo, not the wheel size. Most, if not all OEM fitted S197 tires hang around 27.2, give or take a tenth, in diameter. The ones already on those wheels (235/50r18) are 27.3" in diameter so they should be just fine for your speedo programming as it is. As stated above, the only issue may be inside edge rubbing since the GT tires are somewhere around an inch wider than the standard V6 tires on an '05. The total offset percentage should be about the same for them too. The added width is probably split between the inside and outside on wider OEM wheels.

130 total pounds of Pitbull ruled by 8 pounds of cat.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porto2014= View Post

Thanks for the help.
julian
The speedo is only affected by the diameter of the tire on the car, not the wheels at all.

You can compare tire sizes with this tool:

Tire size tool
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page