Which Sway Bars to get? - Ford Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Which Sway Bars to get?

I have the regular V6 (not a pony package) so like everybody else I have no rear sway bar. I had looked into at least getting a rear sway bar but also possibly a new front one. Looking for advice as where to go on this one. Should I just get both GT takeoff sway bars or just the rear and leave the V6 front sway bar or a whole different route. My car is a daily driver so advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Don't think you can go wrong with the GT takeoffs. Adding the rear will make a big difference. The GT front is a little beefier but you really don't need to swap it.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008
PONY Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlwagon View Post
Don't think you can go wrong with the GT takeoffs. Adding the rear will make a big difference. The GT front is a little beefier but you really don't need to swap it.

That is good advice!!!

Performance Parts Inc.
13120 Lazy Glen Court
Oak Hill, VA 20171-2326

(703) 742-6207

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

So just put on the GT rear and leave the front as is?? Can you explain why this is to me? I'm not disagreeing just want to know why
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008
Classic Member
S197 Member

Send a message via Yahoo to stlwagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmustangs View Post
So just put on the GT rear and leave the front as is?? Can you explain why this is to me? I'm not disagreeing just want to know why
The front is a little thicker on the GT but that's by design due to the greater weight. I don't think you'd see much improvement over the stock bar.

1965 Mustang Coupe
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

I just put on a full set of Ford Racing sway's and it does make a huge differance in handleing it is like steering a laser beam. You can look back at my write up about a day or two ago. Oh the front does make a differance I have driven them both ways. And the Ford Racing comes with every bolt and nut you need for 379. oh and these and others like them are why you see so many take-offs available. just my .02
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress1573 View Post
I just put on a full set of Ford Racing sway's and it does make a huge differance in handleing it is like steering a laser beam. You can look back at my write up about a day or two ago. Oh the front does make a differance I have driven them both ways. And the Ford Racing comes with every bolt and nut you need for 379. oh and these and others like them are why you see so many take-offs available. just my .02
What do you mean by driven them both ways?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

I'm just trying to figure out whether to go with just the GT rear and V6 front OR GT front and a BMR or Stedda or another brand rear. Because the difference between the size of the sway bars is the key factor in the handling from what i hear
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
What do you mean by driven them both ways?
I have had the opportunity to drive a V-6 with just a GT rear bar added and GT front and Rear. It is a different feel the first scenario just a little more roll through a curve. I then ordered the ones from Ford Racing and it has a larger Steeda bar than their regular kit as I mentioned in my earlier post and it is adjustable I have mine set full forward to limit over steer it makes for a little harsher ride on the street but it is well within a tolerable level. The other thing I liked was the rear links are a huge billet hunk of aluminum and will not flex like the factory crome moly links will under heavy side load like road racing. And at $379 it is relatively cheap considering ford wants like $45 for just the hardware to mount the rear of course you can find it cheaper but to me time saved running around to get them is worth that. But you will have at least $200.00 in parts to get everything you need and so for $179 more I get it all in a kit and it is much more solid a feel than a stock GT.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008 Thread Starter
Rookie
S197 Member

okay so give me the difference between riding with the V6 front and GT rear VS GT front and rear please?
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

hi there we have the same cars and i added a GT take off rear anti sway bar and it made a big difference - car remains steady on sharp curves. I just changed my front sway bars w/ a GT take off and haven't tested the car yet but i guess it would only have a little difference but i will let you know. i changed the fronts just out of curiosity. bottom line is adding rear anti sway bars is the way to go.
Apprentice
V6 Member
S197 Member

Quote:
okay so give me the difference between riding with the V6 front and GT rear VS GT front and rear please?
If you read my post agian you'll see what I said. With just the addition of the rear GT bar there is a little more roll than with the front GT bar. So you will have to decide what you want.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page