Recurring Low Speed Fan Relay Problem - Ford Mustang Forum
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Travis98146
  • 1 Post By baumgar

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Hello all. I have had a recurring problem with my low speed fan relay over the last year. In fact I had to replace the relay three times last year due to it burning out. Last time was in October - now with the first warm weather and running the AC I guess I put too much pressure on the relay/box again. Actually the relay itself is fine - but the terminals where the relay goes in appear to be damaged; it doesnt go in snug. Options appear to be replacing/fixing the relay box, or a separate wire harness for the relay - assume the latter will be simpler, cheaper, and provide a long-term fix?

Attached is a picture of the box from January 2018 when the wire connection melted, and of the last relay that went in October. Like I said, the current relay seems okay, just the terminals that have problems.

Neil

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	54799254_10102677074692665_452256908057772032_o.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	608783   Click image for larger version

Name:	54514849_10102677074722605_1769045743017918464_n.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	608785  

Last edited by baumgar; 03-18-2019 at 08:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019
PONY Member

Garage
The melting at the relay terminal indicates too much resistance between the male & female connections. Replacing the relay gives you a clean terminal there but not in the relay box. If the box isn't damaged too much, you might be able to pull that particular connector out and replace it with a new one. Hopefully, your fan (on low speed) isn't drawing too much power due to a worn out fan motor.

imps likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Re: Recurring Low Speed Fan Relay Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis98146 View Post
The melting at the relay terminal indicates too much resistance between the male & female connections. Replacing the relay gives you a clean terminal there but not in the relay box. If the box isn't damaged too much, you might be able to pull that particular connector out and replace it with a new one. Hopefully, your fan (on low speed) isn't drawing too much power due to a worn out fan motor.
Travis, thanks. The pictures are from October - when I last replaced the relay. The current relay appears to be fine - it's the female connections/terminals in the box that appear to be damaged; the relay isnt fitting snug in it like the others.

I'll look into replacing the connectors, but that seems like an interim fix. I replaced the relay 3 times last year, and before that I replaced the fan. For whatever reason, my car seems to draw too much power/amps/resistance on that relay, and has for a couple of years at least now - despite replacing the fan, and the relay several times. Electrical system has always been a bit buggy since I bought it in 2006 - maybe due to my V8 foglamps and the way the dealer installed them? I dunno. Thankfully I have a real wiring harness for the fog lamps now rather than the jury rig job the dealer did...

Anyway, one expert (Excessive Motorsports in Manassas, VA, who replaced the fan and relay 2 out of the 3 times) recommended a separate wiring harness back in October to avoid this coming back up again. Perhaps it is time?

Neil

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Now it looks like both relays are out.

Are there any off the shelf kits out there by chance for setting up an external relay?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019 Thread Starter
Rookie

Turns out I had a radiator leak that is spraying on the resistor. May have been the problem all along?
imps likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a VALID email address for yourself, otherwise you will not receive the necessary confirmation email needed to confirm, validate and activate your new AFM member account.

Failure to provide a VALID email address, will result in the cancellation of your new AFM member account registration.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page